IGNORED

Getting in my head again.

Yammer Dan

I know this happens every time we go down but worse this time. I can't remember and it looks like I just couldn't handle a panic stop. Bugging me a lot. Smacked my head enough to get some bleeding on the brain but lost memory completely.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I ever replace my bikes I believe I will get one with ABS. I had a bad one about 10 years ago and it took about a year to ride as fast I did before even though it was a left turner and not speed that caused mine. Then a couple of years ago I broke my elbow playing basketball and when I started riding again the fear of crashing was back. I don't believe I have ever gotten back to the level of confidence I had before. Maybe being almost 60 and being injured multiple times figures into it to.

Something to think about.

You were used to riding a first gen, brake pedal under your foot and no added pressure from the force of stopping.

Then you get on a 2nd gen, do a panic stop and the force of the stop helped your foot put extra, unintended pressure on the forward positioned pedal. Something to get real familiar with, and maybe you weren't as good as you thought you might be.

Sorry to hear about your accident Dan and I certainly hope you make a full recovery and in less time than the last one. As far as your memory goes hopefully it too comes back. At least you remembered how to log on and where your friends are. That's a good start and if you remember to bring tent poles to the next MD. well than we'll know your memory came back better than ever.

Sadly all the book learning, videos and years of experience, will not prepare you as much as constant practice and getting to know the feel, of the specific bike your riding and its limitations, to the point were it almost becomes a part of you. Even then circumstance, still plays a key role. You can remain as alert as an owl 99.9% of the time and yet that one split second, your attention is drawn elsewhere, you still could be trouble.

Edited by saddlebum

Don't beat yourself up too much. It's all about conditioning. The Second Gen doesn't have the 60/40 split of the First gen. After all these miles, you are conditioned to the split braking system of the First Gen. Who wouldn't be?

The Second Gen will lock up the rear with the foot brake in a heart beat, which will almost guarantee a high side pogo. You can really give the front brakes a lot before they'll lock up.

I went from a First to a Second and I had to practice panic stops a lot because of the difference. I mean a lot. Once I got used to the difference I went to blue-dots on the front to get even more front brake. Today I use the rear brake primarily for turning control, and the fronts almost exclusively for panic stops.

Even old salts need practice with new (to them/us) machines.

Edited by Bummer

First of all and NUMBER 1, IT IS GREAT, AWESOME AND FANTANBULOUS TO SEE YOU POSTING AGAIN BROTHER - MAN I MISSED YOU MY FRIEND!! 2nd of all, I know you probably cant remember this but Dan - you never really could remember much even before your accident, as I recall - not even who Yammer Dan was and it was/still is you - our Yammer Dan is back - THANK GOD!!!! Number 3, about the brakes - indeed coming off a bike with no brakes (at least that has been my experience with riding 1st Gens) to a bike that will actually lock the rear brake up - yea, I would say that could take some serious learning time!! Number 4, dont let it all get into your head to much bro - most folks who are as serious about riding (and riding hard) as you have been in your life end up with numerous battle scars - the secret is to survive thru em and survive (by the Grace of God) you have - WELCOME BACK!!

Number 5, just try to remember as you face us teasers around here - YOU are our hero!! You made it Dan and I am sooooooo glad you did!! Number 6 - aint nothing to be embarrassed about or ashamed of having to go to 3 wheels (I know, I can hear you screaming - PUCSTER, I aint embarrassed about nothing, it is what it is BUT - thought I would toss that out there anyway) - its just a matter of now choosing to do something different so your family can enjoy having you around longer.. If its time, its time!!

Number 6, after you get healed up and ready to give it all another shot - PLEASE let us help!! I would be PROUD to help you find a trike - just the right trike for my friend!! I will scour the area (I KNOW lots of others here will do the same in their area's)..

And number 7, HEAL UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOW it is great to have you back posting a little:thumbsup:!! You scared your ol buddy!! YOU made my day here brother!!:thumbsup:

Puc

Edited by cowpuc

I'll agree with other's here the 2nd GEN locks up the rear brakes like no other bike I've ever had but I've got used to it.

As for the Yips riding again, I haven't had a bike to ride since I put mine down in the rain on the way back from MD. But I was driving my cage to work the other day on 400 Hwy in the pouring rain and that spooked me.

I've been a LOE for 35 years it was my job to drive in the worst weather, day or not and sometime in emergencies pushing the limits! I've had all kinds of driving, skid and motorcycle courses and need to re-qualify every year. I love to drive and ride....but I also know about PTSD. Stress comes with real major and sometime even minor things. You never know what might get to you and how. Take your time Dan work it out, talk about it when and with whom your comfortable with. If you want it to be, it will come around at your pace. I know I'm going to have to work on mine a little. But I also know and have the mind set that it will come.

Let it heal Dan, we're all pulling for you! :Avatars_Gee_George:

Edited by The Tooch

Dan you should get your memory back but it will take some time. As for the crash you may not remember it but will know that you had it. When I had my high side crash in 06 I could not remember having one. I had a severe concussion and bruised back with four broken ribs. After a while I could remember every thing but the crash. I am praying for a fast and total recovery for you.

Way too early to think about riding again. Too early to think about bikes, trikes and what not also.

Now is the time for healing, especially with a head injury.

I'm fighting off a concussion myself right now. It sucks and I hate all this down time, but ya just gotta let it heal.

Hey Dan,

I can't tell you how sad I was to hear that you went down on the way to Don's last weekend! It just wasn't the same without you. I just wanted to say that there is NO need to worry about the memory loss my dear friend. WE here at the forum will be your memory for you! WE will remember every time you made us laugh, WE will remember every rant you have ever had, and WE will remember ALL of the good times you shared with US over the years. This is what good friends do for each other, and this is what the members of this forum will be happy to do for you, my friend, WE WILL REMEMBER FOR YOU!

Get well soon Dan, you are missed much more than you realize.

Earl and Jean.

I know this happens every time we go down but worse this time. I can't remember and it looks like I just couldn't handle a panic stop. Bugging me a lot. Smacked my head enough to get some bleeding on the brain but lost memory completely.

That loss of memory iis sometimes the bodies way of protecting you Dan. Don't force it......... you can't change the outcome, so don't stress my friend

Glad to see another post from you Dan.

Hope you heal up fast and get your life back to that normal state once again.

You will beat yourself up every time you think of that accident. I still beat myself up for not paying attention and becoming complacent.

Get well soon buddy..

Eck

Having an accident get into your head is a normal and healthy thing. When something goes wrong you should always take a step back and evaluate what happened so that you can make a plan to never let it happen again.

You start out life with 2 buckets, a life bucket that is full, and an experience bucket that is empty. You get experience by making mistakes. Every mistake takes some out of the life bucket. The trick is to fill that experience bucket before the life bucket gets empty. Sure sounds like you just added a bunch to the experience bucket and still have some left in the life bucket.

Having an accident get into your head is a normal and healthy thing. When something goes wrong you should always take a step back and evaluate what happened so that you can make a plan to never let it happen again.

You start out life with 2 buckets, a life bucket that is full, and an experience bucket that is empty. You get experience by making mistakes. Every mistake takes some out of the life bucket. The trick is to fill that experience bucket before the life bucket gets empty. Sure sounds like you just added a bunch to the experience bucket and still have some left in the life bucket.

:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

NOW WE ARE TALKING!!!!! Very very well put Fool!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A man is no fool when he evaluates his mistakes and adjusts accordingly!! :thumbsup2:

Thanks guys. Its just bugging me big time that I lost that one. I may not be the greatest rider around but usually have a pretty good "feel" for my brakes. And feeling your brakes has a lot to do with it I think. I JUST CAIN'T REMEMBER WHAT WENT WRONG!!! Something damn sure Did!! Thanks Guys, I got plenty of time to sit and contemplate!!! Ouch I Hurt!!!:mugshot:

Well Dan, I can truly say I know how you feel. The only time I went down hard enough to go to an emergency room was back in my Navy days. I came to, looking at a LEO's sidearm as he saw I was coming around and handed me a ticket for following too close. He said I hit a city bus. I don't remember anything, and could not dispute his version without any recollection of the accident. Everything but the accident itself has come back into focus.

If the details of your accident don't come back, you will have to find your own way to make up for the moments lost. I hope and pray you can heal on every level.

Yea bro, I too can relate to the being knocked out and not remembering stuff.. When I was in eighth grade my friends and I would flood the shower room when the gym teacher wasnt looking. Then we would go running inside the school shower room and slide across the floor.. It all started innocently enough with kids sliding on their bellies and backs - just having a riot.. I came up with the idea of trying it standing up - worked perfect till I slid into the shower knobs or something hanging from the walls (part I still dont remember). Next thing I know I wake up with 15 kids and my gym teacher standing over me, laying on my back - naked as a jay bird.. Guess my buddies did the world a favor (depending on your perspective) and kept me from drowning as they dragged me out into the launching area..

Two black eyes and a little hurt pride was the worst of the damage..

Keep healing brother - we are all in this together!!

The main thing is you survived and you're here to talk about it. Its over and put it behind you, because you can't change the outcome now. The Second Gens are easily to lock up the rear wheel and we've all done it. Time to concentrate on healing and getting back on your feet.

If Dan wants a trike, I found him one local to me, a 1988 Venture with a lehman kit. It looks like it was well kept, the current owner is the 2nd owner, and truthfully knows nothing about ventures or trikes. If it gets to a point this gets serious I will house an overnight/weekend guest to go look at the trike. I won't post the info on the trike cuz either Dan or I will get the thing, one way or another. Hope Dan heals quickly.

Dan you know the healing takes time so try to chill,relax, it's not easy,I don't think anyone can do it well but it's the only way,you trying to push it won't get there any faster.

Arthur

Yea bro, I too can relate to the being knocked out and not remembering stuff.. When I was in eighth grade my friends and I would flood the shower room when the gym teacher wasnt looking. Then we would go running inside the school shower room and slide across the floor.. It all started innocently enough with kids sliding on their bellies and backs - just having a riot.. I came up with the idea of trying it standing up - worked perfect till I slid into the shower knobs or something hanging from the walls (part I still dont remember). Next thing I know I wake up with 15 kids and my gym teacher standing over me, laying on my back - naked as a jay bird.. Guess my buddies did the world a favor (depending on your perspective) and kept me from drowning as they dragged me out into the launching area..

Two black eyes and a little hurt pride was the worst of the damage..

Keep healing brother - we are all in this together!!

Here's hoping I am struck blind, so as never to relive that vision.