2015 International Rally

XV1100SE

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

May I comment??? Pleasssze?

Fact: we all like to attend a rally.

Fact: we all like a rally to be within shooting distance.

Fact: we all like a rally to be at a time when it's convenient for us.

Fact: we all like a rally to be affordable.

Fact: we all like a rally to have perfect weather.

Fact: In order for a rally to come off well, we need a person(s) to organize one. This person needs to be hyped up to do it, not encouraged or pushed. The desire must come within or things will go wrong and it'll be a real chore and end up being a flop.

That being said, I think we're kind of limited to where this person has his\her residence so that planning can be done well. I know, Squidley did plan one in Colorado when he lived in Michigan,,, but he is an exceptional person,,, and was super hyped for that. It would be nice to have a committee that had a mandate of planning a rally, but that we don't have. We also don't have anybody making any money on such a venture,, so I think we are stuck with who-ever offers. Now if there are more than 1 offers on the table, we could choose, but so far it seems we hardly have even 1 offer.

Maybe we could ask for more offers to be made say before Sept 15, and after that we get to choose.

JMT.

Ahem... As stated previously, I am willing to host an IR in WV....

The way the conversation is going however, tacked towards a centralized location...

Don't have a problem with that.

Hopefully, the people that vote on the next IR destination, actually attend.:whistling:

I agree. The turnout at Guntersville I thought was a little disappointing for an IR yet despite some confusing moments I do believe those of us that did turn out had a good time. I know I did.

Think it was 2009 or 2010. Before I became active on the site.
I believe it was 2008 actually.

Fact: In order for a rally to come off well, we need a person(s) to organize one. This person needs to be hyped up to do it, not encouraged or pushed. The desire must come within or things will go wrong and it'll be a real chore and end up being a flop.

That being said, I think we're kind of limited to where this person has his\her residence so that planning can be done well.

JMT.

The above are valid points and so far the only one showing any real commitment is Snarly Bill with his willingness to host one in St Charles MO. Personally The St Charles MO location sounds good to me and appears to be closer to central then most of the other suggestions. Specially among those with people willing to host them.

Don What are the Odds of setting up a read only thread that lists suggestions. Say two lists. One list would list locations with committed Hosts (indicating who the host is so others wishing to assist would know who to contact). The other listing suggested Locations requiring Hosts. If someone steps forward willing to host one of the un-hosted suggestions, they can PM you and you can adjust the lists accordingly. When the time is right, those locations with committed hosts can be put to the vote.

This would create a clean list of suggestions easily read. Any further suggestions or chatter could remain on this thread.

Edited by saddlebum

Like the Boss said, we already have regional rallies, so maybe we should put the IR on hold for now. Over on trike talk they hold 4 rallies, one in each corner of the country and it seems to work out just fine. with regional rallies, if you have the time and $$ you get to enjoy as many rallies as you can make it to. they are also convenient for those like me that still work and have limited vacation time.

I agree. The turnout at Guntersville I thought was a little disappointing for an IR yet despite some confusing moments I do believe those of us that did turn out had a good time. I know I did.

Guntersville was ONLY 2400 miles one way. So while many vote on the locations the final location to many determines their ability to attend. Enjoyed the ride out to Fort Collins many years ago and was unable to make Cody. How many East coasters can make it out to Sacramento, CA for an IR? :stirthepot: :whistling:

Guntersville was ONLY 2400 miles one way. So while many vote on the locations the final location to many determines their ability to attend. Enjoyed the ride out to Fort Collins many years ago and was unable to make Cody. How many East coasters can make it out to Sacramento, CA for an IR? :stirthepot: :whistling:

That's only 2800 miles for me. 12 Days for the trip and 4-5 for the Rally works for me.

Agreed, but there were many much closer who voted on the location but did not attend. :confused24: and I believe that was CaptianJoe's point.

That being said, I think we're kind of limited to where this person has his\her residence so that planning can be done well. I know, Squidley did plan one in Colorado when he lived in Michigan,,, but he is an exceptional person,,, and was super hyped for that. It would be nice to have a committee that had a mandate of planning a rally, but that we don't have. We also don't have anybody making any money on such a venture,, so I think we are stuck with who-ever offers. Now if there are more than 1 offers on the table, we could choose, but so far it seems we hardly have even 1 offer.

Maybe we could ask for more offers to be made say before Sept 15, and after that we get to choose.

JMT.

I agree with everything you've said Carl...except the last bit about the rally needing to being close to an organizer's home base. In these times of the internet, and unlimited long distance phone, this shouldn't be a factor. Lone Eagle and I have done 4 long distance rally's. Cody #1, the Cody International, and recently The Dalles, plus a 300 mile away local, Morro Bay... VW5. We did have help from a resident member with Cody#1, but many of the details were handled long distance. Much like Ft Collins. So to wrap things up, I think there should be a reason for members to attend other than just to rub elbows with other members. Remember the rally takes a week out of those who attend and should have a vacation quality about it. IMHO

I agree with everything you've said Carl...except the last bit about the rally needing to being close to an organizer's home base. In these times of the internet, and unlimited long distance phone, this shouldn't be a factor. Lone Eagle and I have done 4 long distance rally's. Cody #1, the Cody International, and recently The Dalles, plus a 300 mile away local, Morro Bay... VW5. We did have help from a resident member with Cody#1, but many of the details were handled long distance. Much like Ft Collins. So to wrap things up, I think there should be a reason for members to attend other than just to rub elbows with other members. Remember the rally takes a week out of those who attend and should have a vacation quality about it. IMHO

i disagree, i was 300 miles away from the 09 rally when i hosted it. it made it a bit harder to communicate. luckily i knew the area cuz i did several meets in eureka springs. i haven't even been picked for the st. charles rally and i have almost got everything set up, host motel, rides, catering, camping, meeting place, etc. if don gives the go ahead, i already have a great commitee in mind. putting meets together is my thing. i love to see folks have a good time. the bigger the challenge the more i like it. even if st. charles doesn't get pick i have had fun checking everything out. living here makes it so easy. i garantee know one will leave without a smile of enjoyment on their face. bill :clap2:

i disagree, i was 300 miles away from the 09 rally when i hosted it. it made it a bit harder to communicate. luckily i knew the area cuz i did several meets in eureka springs. i haven't even been picked for the st. charles rally and i have almost got everything set up, host motel, rides, catering, camping, meeting place, etc. if don gives the go ahead, i already have a great commitee in mind. putting meets together is my thing. i love to see folks have a good time. the bigger the challenge the more i like it. even if st. charles doesn't get pick i have had fun checking everything out. living here makes it so easy. i garantee know one will leave without a smile of enjoyment on their face. bill :clap2:

You have my vote Bill :thumbsup2:

Not really. The truth is, nobody has stepped up and offered to take the lead except for Snarley Bill except for the WV folks and I just feel that is too close to where it was held last year and too for East for two years in a row. I am 99% sure that Missouri will be the location and will make an official announcement with the next day or two.

I think you missed the point of my post Bill. The point was whether it's 300 miles or somewhere in the middle of the US, it shouldn't present a problem. Just have the desire to do something for the board, which sounds like you already have. It just doesn't need to be in one's back yard any longer....

Although probably easier... I agree. One wouldnt have to have a location in backyard. Many websites already list predefined scenic rides for areas. Plus many gummit tourist agencies are putting out ride phamplets. Stuff like approapriate fuel stops can be checked using google earth street view.

To me an area with some attractions, convienent lodging and meals that is not in too much of an urban setting is best... but... build it and I will come if possible. :)

I do not disagree with Condor but I do think there is a lot to be said for being local and familiar with the area. Besides making it easier to research sites and have face to face communication with location representatives, it also makes test riding any planned routes easier and therefore better to memorize.

JMHO

I do not disagree with Condor but I do think there is a lot to be said for being local and familiar with the area. Besides making it easier to research sites and have face to face communication with location representatives, it also makes test riding any planned routes easier and therefore better to memorize.

JMHO

i've got a new modern day plan for setting up rides. make up a paper listing important places to see, for example hannibal missouri, herman missouri, grants farm, etc. with an address taken from the main street in town where the action is. groups can get together and the ride leader can put it in their gps, and it will take you right there. than hit home and it will bring you back. hannabal for example is about a 200 mile round trip. the longest ride. grants farm is about 50 miles round trip. this way people can buddy up and ride where ever they choose and never get lost. ive been every where many times over around this area so i can tell you all about the great places to visit. i would print up papers with all the key places listed to go along with your registration packet and t-shirt. :2133:

there are some great places to ride there.

we enjoy the road along the bluffs and the Kampsville ferry is free to take across the river. who doesn't want to take their bike for a boat ride for free??

http://www.idot.illinois.gov/travel-information/passenger-services/Ferry-Services/index

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Brussels+Ferry/@39.0236578,-90.6721421,10z/data=!4m26!1m23!4m22!1m6!1m2!1s0x87df2f0888cc24e3:0xc437f0ab118cf5aa!2sSt+Charles,+MO!2m2!1d-90.511764!2d38.788698!1m6!1m2!1s0x87df22687d2e9fd5:0x961ae2cece01bc28!2sBrussels+Ferry,+16211+Illinois+100,+Grafton,+IL+62037!2m2!1d-90.495476!2d38.967795!1m6!1m2!1s0x87de55f37b8a5c33:0xe592ebbe97d7821!2sKampsville,+IL!2m2!1d-90.6090117!2d39.2978255!3e0!3m1!1s0x87df22687d2e9fd5:0x961ae2cece01bc28

Brussels ferry is also free and near to the reservation area

my wife is from the area and I spent ten years in that area and still enjoy a chance to return.

Edited by eusa1

there are some great places to ride there.

we enjoy the road along the bluffs and the Kampsville ferry is free to take across the river. who doesn't want to take their bike for a boat ride for free??

http://www.idot.illinois.gov/travel-information/passenger-services/Ferry-Services/index

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Brussels+Ferry/@39.0236578,-90.6721421,10z/data=!4m26!1m23!4m22!1m6!1m2!1s0x87df2f0888cc24e3:0xc437f0ab118cf5aa!2sSt+Charles,+MO!2m2!1d-90.511764!2d38.788698!1m6!1m2!1s0x87df22687d2e9fd5:0x961ae2cece01bc28!2sBrussels+Ferry,+16211+Illinois+100,+Grafton,+IL+62037!2m2!1d-90.495476!2d38.967795!1m6!1m2!1s0x87de55f37b8a5c33:0xe592ebbe97d7821!2sKampsville,+IL!2m2!1d-90.6090117!2d39.2978255!3e0!3m1!1s0x87df22687d2e9fd5:0x961ae2cece01bc28

Brussels ferry is also free and near to the reservation area

my wife is from the area and I spent ten years in that area and still enjoy a chance to return.

we took those ferrys back in the day. grafton is a nice little biker town. pierre marquette park and lodge is just down the road. the river road from alton north is one awesome ride. that is one way to get to hannibal. then come back 79 on the missouri side. did that ride at my last meet and eat. fantastic scenery all the way. then you hit historic main street in hannibal samuel clemens home town, and take the trolley ride up in the hills of hannibal for a fantastic view over the mississippi river for miles. just south of st. charles you head out of town on 94 through wine country. 94 is loaded with wineries as you head for herman missouri, an old german town on the missouri river. great riding in all directions. one of the biggest transportation museums is not far from us in st. louis county. it has one of only 2 big boy steam engines still in existance. grants farm is owned by anheiser busch. free train tour, free beer, and a walk through the clydesdale stables. plus all kinds of animals in natural habitat. all of these are must see sights. lots more to.