IGNORED

Time to change insurance

Freebird

Don, It's about an extra 12 a month to have a $50 ded as well. maybe less

My Wife thanks you :-) wife has worked for them about 15 years now.

With Geico you can also not make a payment during the winter months

and you bike will be fully insured. (you just cant ride it)

Call your company! Talk directly to them it's amazing what they can do when you say you're going to cancel. I have he bike and the car with the lizard, told them that Flo was going to give me the same coverage for $200 a year less. They came back on the same phone call and dropped it almost $300!

As far as towing I got AAA gold so I don't have any issues with mileage or out of pocket and getting reimbursed

Well all I can say is at least our friends up north don't have to worry about crooked insurance companies. Their's is regulated by the government.

Mike

That's not entirely true. Each Province has their own insurance rules and companies, much like your states. Here in SK we have a govt run vehicle insurance plan that is expensive and we are trying to lobby them to give us options so we can choose our coverage. Now I have 200 ded , 2 mil liability, unlimited income protection and full personal injury protection for 120 a month that I only pay for when I am riding my RSV. When my bike is stored I have a storage policy that costs me 120 bucks a year for full replacement cost.

Brian

And as far as being crooks, it happens here too,...our govt company (SGI) was going to increase rates on some sport bikes by more than double last year but a concerted push on the legislature got them to roll most of that back to a 5% increase.

I think Progressive and Geico are owned by Warren Buffet, the Oracle of Omaha's company.

I have been with Nationwide for my cars for a while and every time I check around they are the least expensive. When I bought the Kawasaki I insured it with Foremost and last week I checked with Nationwide for the 85 Kawasaki and my newly purchased 89 Venture and they were about 45% higher than Foremost. Who knows how they calculate their policies.

Well all I can say is at least our friends up north don't have to worry about crooked insurance companies. Their's is regulated by the government.

Mike

Mmmmm...

That just means that they are already crooked, have the law on their side and are a monopoly to boot. Not a highly recommended situation.

I have been thru the insurance racket where, like the Sport Bikes could not get insurance on a specific car. We traded years ago for like an 88 or so firebird (night rider) style. It was a V-6 car. But because it was in a "sports car" category the current company wouldnt cover it. It was a mess changing all my insurance at the time.

So heres my thoughts on the sport bikes with high theft. first off they are high theft, why anybody would steel one I dont know but they are supposedly.

I venture a guess they are probably the highest in accidents and claims, so if you eliminate them from being grouped in with everybody else wouldnt our rates go down?

Many companies have rules about how many tickets, types of drivers, ages etc so why not eliminate what costs you money? Its just crazy if you read thru this or any thread on insurance, not a one of them says "hey they lowered my rates"

Hey Freebird,

I know what you are saying. I have been an insurance agent for 42 years. When my son came in with me I told him this, "You can take educated people with their MBA degrees and put them to work with an insurance company and they lose all common sense and become stupid." My son reminds me almost weekly how true this statement is. Since computers the insurance business has changed and I think for the worse. In the old days you had a manual and you looked at the age and marital status of the prospect and there was the rate. Today with computers companies can segment the rates down to the street you live on. I think the days of getting a rate and it being the same for one or two years is over with. Companies are competing for market share and constantly changing rates. Here's what I don't like. Say you have been with progressive for 4 years and they realize their current rate is too high and they are losing market share. They will come out with a new program with lower rates but if you are in an old program with higher rates they won't notify you that they will renew you in the new program. You will be left in the old program unless your agent moves you to the new program. I don't think this is right but all companies do this. Yesterday one of our customers came in because his progressive policy was renewing. He has been with flo since 2004 and the renewal was a little over $800 for six months. My son requoted him with progressive and we re wrote him with the same coverage he had previously with progressive for $624 with progressive. If we hadn't let him know about this he would still be paying over $800. This is the game insurance companies are playing today. The motorycle rates with progressive are the same whether you go direct, with an agent, with the HD agency or USAA. You were in an old progressive program but the latest program has a lower rate. If you are insured with an agent and go to progressive direct or through a program like the harley agency they will not insure you because they don't want to upset their agents. With all the advertising progressive still gets approx 80% of their business from agents.

I wonder if that's how USAA keeps their Progressive rates reasonable....by acting as an agent....thus...Progressive then uses internal agents exclusive to USAA to handle the policies. No independent agents involved...company makes money...

david

I've been with Riders Plus which uses Echelon for bike insurance. My rate this year is exactly the same as last year - to the penny.

In Ontario, you can't insure a bike for the riding season (7-8 months) but have to pay for a 12 month policy. My insurance is $1,200 a year. No changing it to a "storage" policy.

I use Dairyland, 3 bikes at just under 550 per year. My Road Glide is about 80 bucks higher than my rstd, and my v star 650 is real cheap. Dont plan on changing anytime soon.

My agent is an independent, and also a motorcycle guy. I trust him to find me a good policy. He's also a friend that I trust. By the sounds of some of your numbers, it appears hes doing his job.

I have Allstate and liability and uninsured motorist costs me $246 a year and this won't cover my trailer. It is due in July so I checked with Geico and they want $149 with more coverage (adds Comp which will cover my trailer and up to $2K in accessories). I have all my vehicles and my house with Allstate. They are getting high on all of them. I will be changing to Geico when the time comes.

I can't cry about Progressive, they took care of me on my bike 2 yrs ago, the guy waited until I could meet and talk with him to settle, he wrote me a check for everything I lost that day, no matter what it was!