IGNORED

What does it cost to have your Drivers Licence renewed?

SilvrT

I think Fl when I did mine last year was like $45 for 6yr with MC endorsment which was an extra $20 I want to say. Un fortunatly my tags are due on my truck and the wifes car at beginning of year. My old beater 96 Dodge Pu is $113 the wifes 2002 Durango is $92. Just plain stupid. I should get a historic tag for my truck.

$75 for the five years and an extra $50 for the Enhanced version last week.

Kevin, it might be worth explaining what the Enhanced version is for (so that those non-BCers and in particular, the boys down south know)

I think it's just a BC gov money grab myself LOL

The enhanced DL permits me to travel across the Canada/ US Boarder without my passport when I travel by road or ferry between the two countries. AS I love to take off on nice summer days and trip over to Washington State to ride the fantastic roads there, this saves me taking my passport. I have always worried about what to do with my passport when I got off my bike to walk a beach or hike the trails of a beautiful park I find on my travels between the two countries. I feel keeping my drivers licence in my pocket will be safer than leaving the passport in my motorcycle.

And of course now they announced that staring next month the licence will be doubly enhanced as it will start also serving as our government medical services card, that may become just a cash grab there but I see their point behind doing it. Now your medical card will have to be renewed and will have your photo on it to help prevent fraud.

Kevin, it might be worth explaining what the Enhanced version is for (so that those non-BCers and in particular, the boys down south know)

I think it's just a BC gov money grab myself LOL

And of course now they announced that staring next month the licence will be doubly enhanced as it will start also serving as our government medical services card, that may become just a cash grab there but I see their point behind doing it. Now your medical card will have to be renewed and will have your photo on it to help prevent fraud.

The "combined" card is not mandatory. An individual can elect to have separate cards. There is no "extra" charge for this. When you renew your D/L, you only pay what that normally would cost.

FWIW, I work in a business that is at the forefront of this kind of information. We get the info long before "Joe Public" gets it.

To me the enhanced DL makes much more sense than a passport. Unless you're flying between CDN and USA you don't need a passport if you have the enhanced DL. Less $$$ too.

Only $40 more for the EDL.

http://news.ontario.ca/mto/en/2009/05/about-ontarios-enhanced-drivers-licence.html

New passport fees starting this year. $120 for 5 years and $180 for ten.

http://www.ppt.gc.ca/publications/consultations/index.aspx?lang=eng

Ontario license fees going up.

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/news/backgrounder/fee-changes-2012-03-12.shtml