IGNORED

Avon Venoms current status

Need new tires. So whats the latest word on the Avon Venoms? Cracking fixed? Stay away? Would be buying the new Michelin Commanders if they made a front that fit, not interested in running a narrower size. Thanks in advance for any input.

Ross

Have you thought about the Dunlop E3s, I am running those on my 07, have about 13,500 miles on them now and still have plenty of tread left. They handle well and have no issues with cracks or chunking, wet roads , like we ever have those in Florida, are no problem, traction is always good with the E3s.

After sitting in limbo for over a year, I just re-mounted my Avons that have been off the bike for that time frame. After careful inspection I found no dry cracks anywhere on either tire. No air loss either.

I'm running the Dunlop E-3's front/rear and have had NO issues with them whatsoever. For me they have proven themselves to be the best tires I have ever put on my Venture. I would be hard pressed to try any other brand/make of tire regardless of price.

Boomer.....who sez performance and safety far outweigh mileage/cost when it comes to sneakers fer de scoot.:whistling:

My current rear tire on my 89 is an Avon with about 8kmiles and it's 3 months old, and it still looks great. My front is also an Avon, and it has about 12Kmiles and it's 18 months old----still fine. But then I've been using Avons for about 10-11 years, and I've never had cracking problems. Some have been on the 83 for 6 years and 24,000 miles, and except for being worn still look great. Actually the worst problem I've had with Avons is that they attract nails, expecially when they're new.

Frank D.

I've been using Avon Venoms on my 07 RTSD and have had good results. I check my tire pressure before each ride. This is my second set in 29K miles. I think the key to their long life is keeping them properly inflated. I usually inflate mine to 36/50 front/rear. I don't have to add air too often since I ride almost everyday. However they are getting to be pricey. But what the heck it's my joy and I enjoy the thrill of riding. Stay safe!

I have been using the new Bridgestone Exedra MAX with no issues at all. They are a multi rubber compound have deep tread and come in the right sizes. They are quite a bit different than the old Brickstones. Might be worth looking into.

Mike

I tried Avon Venoms on my 09 RSV..They were fine but I was disappointed in the mileage I got out of them...10,500 on the rear and 11,000 on the front..

I put another Avon on the rear because I might have used too low of a tire pressure (40 PSI) the first time around....I upped it to 50 lbs..I changed to a Metzeler ME 880 on the front.

I've used Venoms for several years. Always enjoyed the ride.

I did have one replaced by the MFG due to a pinhole leak near the bead (a front at half life). My front just got shot this week at 22k after riding 900 miles of MO/AR curves.

BUT see post http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?threadid=73269

They may be dropping our stock size. My dealer can't get them now (sold me several previous) and Bike Bandit says the 150/80-16 is on closeout.

(but the Avon site and some dealers still look like business as normal?)

So, I am going with the E3 front, to get installed in the morning.