IGNORED

It's official! I'm an idiot!

ken

Ok it’s official! I’m an idiot. So here’s how I discovered this. I’ve got my RSV up on the lift for a maintenance. So today I tackled changing the brake fluid and clutch fluid. I did the rear brake and then the front. Everything went smooth as silk. Then came the clutch fluid ,now keep this in mind I’m doing this the old fashion way, (open the bleeder, squeeze the lever, close the bleeder, release the lever and repeat). So I get the fluid in the clutch changed , it feels good. So I decide to started her up and put her in gear to see how she shifts. While it’s running an I put it in gear it dies. Damn, I’m thinking there must be air in the line so I bleed her again, and again. Start her up, shift in to gear it dies. Well, at this point I come inside and log on to the forum and review the tech section again and do a few searches on bleeding the clutch. Every thing seems right. So back out I go and bleed her again, start her up, it dies. Then all at once it hit me like a BRICK! And I though to myself.. YOU IDIOT THE KICK STAND IS DOWN!!!!. I put it up and alls well. I hope I can get a little smarter when I pull the drive shaft.

Ok it’s official! I’m an idiot. So here’s how I discovered this. I’ve got my RSV up on the lift for a maintenance. So today I tackled changing the brake fluid and clutch fluid. I did the rear brake and then the front. Everything went smooth as silk. Then came the clutch fluid ,now keep this in mind I’m doing this the old fashion way, (open the bleeder, squeeze the lever, close the bleeder, release the lever and repeat). So I get the fluid in the clutch changed , it feels good. So I decide to started her up and put her in gear to see how she shifts. While it’s running an I put it in gear it dies. Damn, I’m thinking there must be air in the line so I bleed her again, and again. Start her up, shift in to gear it dies. Well, at this point I come inside and log on to the forum and review the tech section again and do a few searches on bleeding the clutch. Every thing seems right. So back out I go and bleed her again, start her up, it dies. Then all at once it hit me like a BRICK! And I though to myself.. YOU IDIOT THE KICK STAND IS DOWN!!!!. I put it up and alls well. I hope I can get a little smarter when I pull the drive shaft.

:doh::doh::doh:

Good thing I wouldn't trust MY bike running on MY lift.:scratchchin:

Otherwise I probably would have had this happen to me too.:bang head:

Glad to hear all is well, Enjoy the ride, Scooter Bob

As soon as I read the "title" to your thread, (It's official! I'm an idiot!) I realized I am already a member of that same club...now I dont feel all alone anymore..

I also figured it was your kickstand before I finished reading your posting...:whistling:

Glad you figured it out...!!

Welcome to the club, and I am the best one to welcome you, for I am the PRESIDENT!!!!!

Now that you are an official member, it's time to inform you of other things you might or will do to keep your future interesting.

Oh never mind, it's more fun finding it out all by yourself, like when you are in the middle of nowhere, with no cell phone and no traffic, just you and a dead scoot!!!!!! YA!!! then you may contact the Pres and he'll give you the answer.

YOU IDIOT THE KICK STAND IS DOWN!!!!. I put it up and alls well. I hope I can get a little smarter when I pull the drive shaft.
Is there any type of sidestand down warning on a RSV?

In my 1984, there are two wires for the kickstand. One kills the engine and the other goes to the monitor. It's easy to wire it in such a way that the engine will not die when the sidestand is down, but will still get the warning on the display. I did this to my 1984 Venture in 1984 when the bike was fairly new.

I have heard of the switch failing, even in rather new Ventures, causing the engine to die while riding.

IMO, it's safer to NOT have the sidestand kill the engine. And more convenient in many cases. IMO, the display is all that should be needed for a reminder that it's down.

-Don- in Rainy SSF, CA

Edited by DonTom

Is there any type of sidestand down warning on a RSV?

In my 1984, there are two wires for the kickstand. One kills the engine and the other goes to the monitor. It's easy to wire it in such a way that the engine will not die when the sidestand is down, but will still get the warning on the display. I did this to my 1984 Venture in 1984 when the bike was fairly new.

I have heard of the switch failing, even in rather new Ventures, causing the engine to die while riding.

IMO, it's safer to NOT have the sidestand kill the engine. And more convenient in many cases. IMO, the display is all that should be needed for a reminder that it's down.

-Don- in Rainy SSF, CA

Yes there is an indicator,

The engine dies when you put it in gear.....:whistling:

Just don't forget:no-no-no: to put the stand back down Before you let the jack down!!!:stirthepot::stirthepot::stirthepot:

That is mine! I did that and also let the bike off a jack with the front wheel off! You have no idea what a PITA it is to get a bike off the floor with no front wheel. I had to rock it from side to side while my wife threw blocking under the frame until it was high enough to slide the bike jack under! WHEW! What a B***H that was! Sometimes I wonder if I have half a brain!:rotf:

To each their own, but I feel just the opposite. The possibility with taking off with the sidestand down and the possibility of hitting the start button with the bike in gear and the clutch out when on the sidestand far outweigh any advantage I could think of with what you say. In fact, probably 95% of the time, I use putting the sidestand down as the way to kill the engine when riding.

RandyA

You have to think of it this way, everything that people write about, fixes, and upgrades, things they have done, are items that should stick in your mind, as teachings.

My idiot realm, The wife and I traveling, dragging the trailer, somewhere on the west coast of Florida, we stop for gas, check everything before, starting up. put the bike in natural, go to hit the starter, and nothing. ( Instant panic sets in ) WTF?

okay calm down, check the handle bars ( some times you have to learn all over again )

Darn'et, The Kill switch, you moron. The sweat on my brow drys as we roll down the road.

By sharing that you just saved someone else from having the same thing happen. We ALL make mistakes daily. Sharing them helps others, and ourselves not make them again. :bighug:

Oh I don't know about that, I can be told something and 5 minutes later do the same thing anyway. I have been a charter member of this IDIOT club for some time now.:think::cool10: