IGNORED

Preperations to get to Freebird's MD

Flyinfool

I know that to many of you a 450 mile trip is just like a quick trip around the block. But for me this will the most monumental motorcycle trip I have ever conceived of.

My one day record for riding was the 2009 WI MD where it was a 90 mile trip from my house to the site, then we went for about an 80 mile ride, then the 90 miles back home.

OK so I'll never make an Iron butt, but I am in the running for a marshmallow butt award.

The projects that must be completed before I can undertake this epic (to me) journey are; (in no particular order)

1. Repair HI-LO headlight switch. Done, it had a lot of crud/corrosion on the contacts.

2. Install trailer hitch on bike. FINALLY done with this one

3. Wire bike for trailer. Done

4. Build a trailer. Done.

5. Find and repair coolant leak. Done

6. Find and repair leak in rear tire. Hmmmm..... The leak seems to have gone away by itself.

7. Find a way to mount and wire my GPS. Got the electrical Done and just have to fab up some kind of mount.

8. All of the normal Spring maintenance that must be done before the first ride. Done and took a 80 mi shake down ride.

9. Repair storm damage to tent from the last time I used it, 4 years ago. Done, tent is good to go.

10. Grease rear wheel pins and install new HH rear pads. Got the brake pads changed, will save greasing for MD

Wish list items;

11. Build and install receiver hitch for bike. The Receiver hitch is finally done, painted, and mounted for the last time.

12. Finish making my first run of valve shim tools. Finally the first new tool is finished. Making up the rest will be easy if this one actually works.

13. Would like to get a new full face helmet for the trip. Thanks to Mr BIG TOM I will have a new Helmet for the trip.:fnd_(16):

14. Buy and install driving/fog lights. I got the KC HiLites installed but they will have to stay with the stock halogen bulbs till I get more time after MD.

So much to do and so little time left.

Working on the bike is the hard part, it is kept in a tiny 8x10 storage shed that it has to share with all of the yard tools. I can not even put it up on the center stand in the shed and still be able to close the door, and I do have to be able to close and lock the door every night or the shed will be empty by morning.

OK, I'll stop whining now.

Edited by Flyinfool

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER

The projects that must be completed before I can undertake this epic journey are; (in no particular order)

1. Repair HI-LO headlight switch. (you can do that in your sleep) :whistling:

2. Install trailer hitch on bike. (Venture DAD hitch takes 15 minutes) :2cents:

3. Wire bike for trailer. (you can do that in 45 minites and still have 3 beers):moon:

4. Build a trailer. (I got a great start on that last night) (14 days, 12 hours, 37 minutes, and 53 seconds) :whistling:

5. Find and repair coolant leak. ( remove tank and use mirror and flashlight, 2.3 hours) :confused07:

6. Find and repair leak in rear tire. (take it off and take it a tire shop, 1 hour 17 minutes) :confused07:

7. Find a way to mount and wire my GPS. (you can do that in your sleep):rotf:

8. All of the normal Spring maintenance that must be done before the first ride. (isn't that what MD is for) :stickpoke:

9. Repair storm damage to tent from the last time I used it, 4 years ago. (buy new tent, 15 minutes at Walmart, max) :whistling:

10. Grease rear wheel pins and install new HH rear pads. (do it when you take the tire off, no time, free) :255:

Wish list items;

11. Build and install receiver hitch for bike. (see number 2)

12. Finish making my first run of valve shim tools. (when do I get mine?) :crying:

13. Would like to get a new full face helmet for the trip. Get the wife/girl friend/ stranger a second job that way it is free to you) :stickpoke:

14. Buy and install driving/fog lights. (Walmart and 15 minutes) :stickpoke:

I sure hope I have been helpful getting your project completed. If you need anymore help just ask! :stickpoke:Always glad to help a cheese head.

IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER

The projects that must be completed before I can undertake this epic journey are; (in no particular order)

3. Wire bike for trailer. (you can do that in 45 minites and still have 3 beers):moon:

4. Build a trailer. (I got a great start on that last night) (14 days, 12 hours, 37 minutes, and 53 seconds) :whistling:

5. Find and repair coolant leak. ( remove tank and use mirror and flashlight, 2.3 hours) :confused07:

6. Find and repair leak in rear tire. (take it off and take it a tire shop, 1 hour 17 minutes) :confused07:

8. All of the normal Spring maintenance that must be done before the first ride. (isn't that what MD is for) :stickpoke:

9. Repair storm damage to tent from the last time I used it, 4 years ago. (buy new tent, 15 minutes at Walmart, max) :whistling:

10. Grease rear wheel pins and install new HH rear pads. (do it when you take the tire off, no time, free) :255:

Wish list items;

12. Finish making my first run of valve shim tools. (when do I get mine?) :crying:

13. Would like to get a new full face helmet for the trip. Get the wife/girl friend/ stranger a second job that way it is free to you) :stickpoke:

I sure hope I have been helpful getting your project completed. If you need anymore help just ask! :stickpoke:Always glad to help a cheese head.

Well,

looks like all except trailer can be done 5.3 hours, 2 nights, and 3 beers.

trailer adds 348.6hours and 53sec

:080402gudl_prv:

IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER

1. Repair HI-LO headlight switch. (you can do that in your sleep) :whistling: Sleep is what I'll get when I turn on the Hi beam and it gets dark.

2. Install trailer hitch on bike. (Venture DAD hitch takes 15 minutes) :2cents: Not on a 1st gen. Have to break rusted bolts free and design and manufacture the missing parts. I have most of a Markland hitch.

3. Wire bike for trailer. (you can do that in 45 minites and still have 3 beers):moon: Need to buy powered 5 into 4 converter, add 2 hours. I am violently allergic to beer, add 2 weeks in hospital for recovery after 3 beers.:moon:

4. Build a trailer. (I got a great start on that last night) (14 days, 12 hours, 37 minutes, and 53 seconds) :whistling: Sounds about right.

5. Find and repair coolant leak. ( remove tank and use mirror and flashlight, 2.3 hours) :confused07: You must have a 2nd gen.

6. Find and repair leak in rear tire. (take it off and take it a tire shop, 1 hour 17 minutes) :confused07: I'm to cheap/poor.

7. Find a way to mount and wire my GPS. (you can do that in your sleep):rotf: I am busy doing other things in my sleep.:whistling:

8. All of the normal Spring maintenance that must be done before the first ride. (isn't that what MD is for) :stickpoke:Have to do enough to get there safely.

9. Repair storm damage to tent from the last time I used it, 4 years ago. (buy new tent, 15 minutes at Walmart, max) :whistling: I'm still to cheap/poor.

10. Grease rear wheel pins and install new HH rear pads. (do it when you take the tire off, no time, free) :255: Have never done it so I an not sure where the pins even are, could be a good job for MD if the noise is not to bad.

Wish list items;

11. Build and install receiver hitch for bike. (see number 2) NO ONE makes a receiver hitch for a 1st gen, will have to build my own from scratch.

12. Finish making my first run of valve shim tools. (when do I get mine?) :crying: Are you coming to MD? It will take a month to make the first 20 of these.

13. Would like to get a new full face helmet for the trip. Get the wife/girl friend/ stranger a second job that way it is free to you) :stickpoke: Hmmmmm.... No such luck.

14. Buy and install driving/fog lights. (Walmart and 15 minutes) :stickpoke: Needs to be done rite the first time.

New Time Estimate;

Back to I'M RUNNING OUT OF TIME ALREADY!!

But then it can be amazing how fast things can get done when it comes down to crunch time.

For the GPS mounting, go to gpscity.com, they sell some really nice RAM Mounts that fit your GPS. I have one that the GPS clips into just like what mounts in the car. It has a ball mount with a u-bolt for the handle bar, plus I bought an Aquabox for the rainy days. Talk to Larry (CarbonOne) about the hitch. He built me one and installed it one my bike (with my help) last fall. I am sure he would send one via UPS.

10. Grease rear wheel pins and install new HH rear pads. (do it when you take the tire off, no time, free) :255: Have never done it so I an not sure where the pins even are, could be a good job for MD if the noise is not to bad.

Best done while you have that back tire off for the leak. If it's like a 2nd gen, you just take off an external snap ring, and pull the spider and splines off the left side of the wheel.

You could always ride with me to the MD at the end of March, and we'll get it all fixed up for the trip to Freebird's

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=56217:stickpoke:

Later, Scooter Bob

Here is a hitch off an "86" would that fit?

This Trailer Hitch is off a 1986 Yamaha Venture Royall

It is in Very Good condition and has a 1-7/8” Ball

I pulled a small camping trailer or my dirt bike

It is Very sturdy and mounts with four bolts to

Existing frame mounts from the factory…

Sorry the bike is NOT INCLUDED.

There is No Reserve

Other item info

Item number:300524493205

Item location:Joliet, IL, United States

Ships to:United States

Payments:PayPal

(For some reason I can't get the link to attach.)

Bryan

Sorry from E-bay

Edited by bryan52577
Forgot to say where it was from.

I tried, city zoning and building codes will not allow it.:225:

They will not let me build a garage that I can park in either.:225::225:

We have restrictions here also. 144sf max. so mine is 11x13 =143sf. has a 9x6.5 overhead door. easy access and room to spare till I put in the trailer, yard tools, wife's crap etc etc. Good thing we have a garage.

Edited by jer878
pic & spell

• 3 weeks later...

I tried to work on #5.

Ran the bike till the cooling fan came on, continued to run it till the cooling fan shut off, and then shut the bike down.

You guessed it, it didn't leak a drop while I was there looking for the leak. The last time I rode it last fall, it left a 2 foot by 4 foot puddle of AF on the floor.

• 2 weeks later...
IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER

Wish list items;

Only three beers? :whistling:

Jeff,

Have you thought about taking the Ferry across Lake Michigan ? It would cut at least 3 hours off the ride, each way, plus keep you away from that crazy Chicago traffic and you get a boat ride to boot. And it'll help keep the marshmallow from burnin' :)

You could always stop for the night at our house (3hrs) then you'd only have 2:45 to Don's from the ferry exit to don's is 344 miles/ 5:45 ride time. If you go down and around it's 433 miles 8.5 hrs ride time.

My one day record for riding was the 2009 WI MD where it was a 90 mile trip from my house to the site, then we went for about an 80 mile ride, then the 80 miles back home.

OK so I'll never make an Iron butt, but I am in the running for a marshmallow butt award.

Don't you mean Marshmealow tushe :witch_brew::rotfl:

• 2 weeks later...

1. Repair HI-LO headlight switch.

2. Install trailer hitch on bike.

3. Wire bike for trailer.

4. Build a trailer. (I got a great start on that last night)

5. Find and repair coolant leak.

6. Find and repair leak in rear tire.

7. Find a way to mount and wire my GPS.

8. All of the normal Spring maintenance that must be done before the first ride.

9. Repair storm damage to tent from the last time I used it, 4 years ago.

10. Grease rear wheel pins and install new HH rear pads.

Wish list items;

11. Build and install receiver hitch for bike.

12. Finish making my first run of valve shim tools.

13. Would like to get a new full face helmet for the trip.

14. Buy and install driving/fog lights.

Well I am making progress.

#4 HF Trailer is bought and the frame and coupler assembled. acquired the car topper to go on it.

#5 is done. It was only a bad Radiator cap.

#6 is done (I HOPE), Aired up the tire last fall and it has lost only 10lbs over the winter, so I guess it fixed its self. :confused24:

#8 Started my spring maintenance.

#11 Got a good start, the receiver part is all welded up. just have to make the part to attach it to the bike.

#12 finished the first phase of making the tools. Working on the fixture to cut the ramps.

I hope to have the bike out on the road sometime in the next two weeks. IF it ever stops snowing........:snow2: