IGNORED

How Cold Is it when you say Cage it?

Yama Mama

Cincinnati has only gotten down into the 40's so far this Fall.

At what point do you say, no I think it is too cold to ride?

We are out there riding still, do not intend to park the bike for a while.

However, I do notice fewer bikers out already. I think riding in the Fall is probably one of the prettiest seasons to ride.

We are planning on going to Elizabethtown, KY next weekend, and go on over to Bardstown to tour some bourbon distilleries. I hope there are samples. Keep warm.

Yama Mama

I agree with Pegscraper. It's really the salt that stops any riding for me. It plays heck on the wheels. I've already replaced the real wheel once when I thought I had cleaned it good enough. The rain is the problem right now. It seems that everywhere I've gone for the last 3 weeks there has been nothing but rain rain rain and then I get home on the weekends and more rain.

I'm already sick of winter and it's not even here yet. :depressed:

Yep yep yep..... precipitation is a bigger factor than temperature. I guess I have to agree with Freebird. It never stops raining around here lately. I stop riding when the snow shows up. On the other hand my navigator stops a little sooner. She feels the cold more than I do.

Wayne

The cold doesn't end my riding season. If the roads and the skies are clear, I ride. I've left the house in 30º mornings here now. The rain and snow and salt on the roads end my season. And it's pouring down rain here today.

:sign yeah that::sign yeah that:

I don't mind cold. I HATE cold and wet.

Like most, it is cold weather rain conditions or sand/salt/ice on the road that keep me off the bike. I am more fortunate that I am located in Toronto with local temps moderated by Lake Ontario and I have indoor heated parking at our condo. As a result, I have often ride at least one day a month throughout our Canadian winters, although most of my winter rides are shorter ones.

for the last couple of weeks, it's been in the 20's at 4 to 5 AM when I leave for my hour morning commute to work. It's pretty dang dark up the canyon, but my projector headlights (H9 bulbs) with my driving lights are great. I'm fine with my mask, head insulator, heated jacket/gloves & winter tourmaster coat. I'm not real happy with my leather chaps, and I'm looking for warmer options. When I bought my Baker Air wings, I bought the feet wings that snap onto the engine crash bars - they are totally awesome - the direct wind is gone, and engine heat helps keep the feet/shins warmer. I did buy some neoprene boot covers that I tried out this morning for the first time - seemed to work fine.

one morning last week it was raining hard with 25mph cross winds for the last half hour of the ride - the lightning was kind of eerie. I was warm enough and dry with my riding gear. It turned into snow for the latter part of the day, and everyone at work was very concerned about me riding home in it (although the roads were just wet - wasn't sticking). I work up where it's snow skiing country, so I expect I'll be driving my Subaru Justy sometimes this winter. My wife is waiting for me to get tired of riding - I'm gonna prove her wrong - it sure beats doing the cage thing! It's a beautifull drive up to Park City, Utah - I drive by 2 reservoirs, up one canyon, all of it in beautiful mountain country with little traffic! Who could complain about this commute?

Doug

I agree with Pegscraper. It's really the salt that stops any riding for me. It plays heck on the wheels. I've already replaced the real wheel once when I thought I had cleaned it good enough. The rain is the problem right now. It seems that everywhere I've gone for the last 3 weeks there has been nothing but rain rain rain and then I get home on the weekends and more rain.

I'm already sick of winter and it's not even here yet. :depressed:

Did you think the rain just might be following you. Just a thought.

I ride when I get the chance. Mind you I don't like riding below that 20 degree mark actually 20 is pretty darn cold too. We do that without the electric clothes. I kinda look like the Michelin man, kinda hard to move with that many clothes on.

Margaret

I never put up my 99 RSV (plum & silver) just ride when the weather permits. Last year we rode over the Rockies and temp ranged from 70's to 20's and back. Best investment I have ever made was an electric vest to go under my jacket. Temp control was lo, med and hi and I never got off lo. I grew up in Etown and there are some great rides in the area. If going to Burbon distillers be sure to see Makers Mark in Loretto, KY south of Bardstown. When you get back, drop me a note and let me know how the ride went.:parrots:

Here in the south there's just no reason to put the bike up. In Atlanta we MAY see 1-2 days of snow per year and the temps don't generally go below the teens. The biggest issue is the 'black ice'. The fools down here never turn off the auto sprinklers so you need to really pay attention when it's in the 20's. I guess if it went below 0 I'd have to think about it a minute but I'd probably still ride.

Yesterday I headed for work and it was 26 degrees all the way. Snow on the ground today. I planned on riding a lot longer but I looked at the front tire last night and she's bald. I guess I'll put her away for the winter and start riding the honda for a while yet. I'm really going to miss all the extras on the venture until next spring.

I dunno....I like to ride and if the pavements dry I can usually do pretty good well down into the 20's. Last year on my FJR I left home one morning when it was 16 on a 230 mile trip. Rode down and back the same day and temps never got above 38. I had heated grips on the feejer and that was a real help, though wind protection was nowhere near as good as the Venture. The only thing that really got cold was my feet (and I had to stop and warm 'em up on the exhaust pipe!:whistling:). I've since bought electric sock that "should" help that problem (sure wish the RSV had heated grips though....

I ride to work year round, if it aint raining or snowing when I leave the house at 5:30 in the morning, off to work I go, the coldest I have ridden in so far has been 16 F. Its only 10 miles to work, it almost takes me as long to dress to ride in that weather as it does to get there. It will be a much warmer ride this year, as last year I was riding the V Star, now I will be riding the Venture.........bring it on, just leave out the snow and ice..........:dancefool: