IGNORED

2nd gen polished fork deflectors......

1BigDog

As promised here are some pics of the polished front fork deflectors that my friend came up with. They are made of 6061 T-6 0.125 aircraft grade structural aluminum and are highly polished. Yes, they are also one piece....no seperate bracket needed. I have had a mock up set on my RSV for over a month with no bracket issues. The ones in the pictures are representative of the finished product with two exceptions. The final production pieces will have a slightly larger mounting base with elongated holes so the whole deflector can be slid side to side for a better fit and the polishing will be much better. This was a quick polish job so they could be displayed on the bike at the Daytona M&E. Another feature is the extra width and length of the deflector. They are wide enough at the bottom to clear the front fender rail bolt. Also, no screw holes..completely smooth surface. Im quite happy with this set just the way they are but I know the final set will be much better (read that shinier).

Now the nuts and bolts:

The use of 6061 T-6 aluminum is not cheap. For a good product you need good material and you cant do much better than the 6061 for finish and strength.

A minimum of 20 orders would be needed to cover material costs. So, if you like what you see and want to commit to an order let me know, either here or in a PM.

Price for both deflectors is $79.00 plus shipping. Once the minimum of 20 is reached I can contact those who committed to arrange payment.

Dan is a close friend who happens to have access to the right tools and wanted to offer me a nice piece for my bike. We discussed possibly making extras and offering it to our VR members. Thats how this came about. So whatdya think????

Edited by Ruffy

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ruffy,

Ironically, I just returned from my Key West road trip and was detailing my bike today only to find my left deflector missing and the right one with a cracked in half bracket and hanging by a thread. I know they were there when I left Jacksonville on my final leg. Hmmm. do I double back to look for it? :scratchchin:

Anyway, I went to the dealer today thinking they might have modified the brackets since my 2004, but they have not. No sense in buying the OEM ones again knowing they will break. So, I am interested in yours. Put me on the list of 20 and let me know where I can send a check.

Thanks

TTW

Got you on the list.......thanks:smile5:

By the way, Dan is also looking into the possibility of making lower fairing deflectors out of the same material too. Those too would possibly be one piece so there would be no screw holes to mar the surface. Another possibility is to make those upper fairing deflectors located under the upper fairing from the same material too. Thats going to take some doing with all the bends and mounting points but were gonna give it a try.

Edited by Ruffy

As promised here are some pics of the polished front fork deflectors that my friend came up with. They are made of 6061 T-6 .0125 aircraft grade structural aluminum and are highly polished. Yes, they are also one piece....no seperate bracket needed. I have had a mock up set on my RSV for over a month with no bracket issues. The ones in the pictures are representative of the finished product with two exceptions. The final production pieces will have a slightly larger mounting base with elongated holes so the whole deflector can be slid side to side for a better fit and the polishing will be much better. This was a quick polish job so they could be displayed on the bike at the Daytona M&E. Another feature is the extra width and length of the deflector. They are wide enough at the bottom to clear the front fender rail bolt. Also, no screw holes..completely smooth surface. Im quite happy with this set just the way they are but I know the final set will be much better (read that shinier).

Now the nuts and bolts:

The use of 6061 T-6 aluminum is not cheap. For a good product you need good material and you cant do much better than the 6061 for finish and strength.

A minimum of 20 orders would be needed to cover material costs. So, if you like what you see and want to commit to an order let me know, either here or in a PM.

Price for both deflectors is $79.00 plus shipping. Once the minimum of 20 is reached I can contact those who committed to arrange payment.

Dan is a close friend who happens to have access to the right tools and wanted to offer me a nice piece for my bike. We discussed possibly making extras and offering it to our VR members. Thats how this came about. So whatdya think????

Santa Claus brought me the Diamond R set x-mas past.....if he wasn't so good to me, I'd be on your list as well! Great looking item, appears that you've done a great job. Great price as well. I'll be watching for further developments!

randy:banana:

Exactly how do they mount? I have heard that the original mounts is what breaks,do they mount to the original mounting bracket?

NEVER MIND,I PUT MY GLASSES ON AND CAN SEE NOW!!

Edited by Tom
Put my glasses on!

Hey Ruffy,

Put me down for the set. Great value.... :mo money: I am also looking forward to seeing what you come up with for the lower engine guard / cowling defelctor. I am not liking the present set up too much. Send me a PM when the front set is ready.

Thanks,

Boose.

I'd like those but I already have a custom set. Those are very nice though!

I wonder if they would be less prone to breakage or bending if they were bent backwards a bit. Meaning if you look straight at them mounted and visualized a vertical line that follows the fork, bend them back right along that line.

Seems the stockers (et al) break due to the air blast that is always on them since they are flat into the wind.

Ruffy,

How heavy are they ????? I am mighty tempted as they look so perrrrty, but shipping to Australia is always a ***** (oops sorry) :crackup::crackup:

Annie, we havent weighed a boxed set yet. Once we do Ill post it here.

I'd like those but I already have a custom set. Those are very nice though!

I wonder if they would be less prone to breakage or bending if they were bent backwards a bit. Meaning if you look straight at them mounted and visualized a vertical line that follows the fork, bend them back right along that line.

Seems the stockers (et al) break due to the air blast that is always on them since they are flat into the wind.

These do have a backward sweep but its really not too visible on the pics. These are also wider and longer than stock. I had to bend the set on my bike a bit forward and it took a good pull to move them. The bend up top is not a sharp bend but more of a tight roll which adds to its strength.

Right now im up to 16 sets..4 more to go to start production.

Were going to try and begin making the deflectors this Monday if we can get another 4 orders. Still have 16 pending. Problem is my friend just got hired at the Budweiser plant here and his days off are kinda screwy. Next week hes off mon/tue so were going to try to make a run up to the shop in Savannah and make them.