IGNORED

2nd gen polished fork deflectors......

1BigDog

Finally got my lowers back from powder coating, Ruffy.

The first time they were done I refused them, they had some pretty obvious debris in the finish.

The second time they were great. $45 total, but I do a fair amount of business with this shop. Normally they have a $75 minimum.

The color is a pretty good match but not perfect. We must have went through fifty paint samples before we found a close match.

I really like it. :big-grin-emoticon:

Looks pretty cool there Glenn. A nice starburst pinstripe on them would really set them off!!

could you post a list so we know if were on it I think you have me down:nanner:

I have you down on a list on my desk, however it seems that interest has dwindled. We still need 15 more orders to make another run.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Jeff!

Finally, its beginning to warm-up around here. It's supposed to be about 60 degrees later on today. Last night after work, I decided that it was warm enough to install my new wind deflectors.

They do look sharp, and the craftsmanship is apparent. Good job! I am thinking though, that since the polished aluminum doesn't quite match the look of all of the safety-chrome, I might either have them chromed or powder-coated. I just can't make-up my mind since they are such different looks. I am also wondering if anyone has opinions regarding which will maintain it's finish the best. I think that I am leaning towards a black, powder-coat.

Thanks again & Be Safe!

Pete.

Edited by petekadish
Add Pictures

Pete, we priced having them chromed and it was way cost prohibitive. For a single set it was 160 bucks and for a 5 set minimum it was still 135 bucks. That would have put the cost well over 200 for a set. This price was from a premium plater too, Space Coast Plating, who does custom cars and bikes. Believe me, plating the parts sure would have saved a ton of labor. StrayCatt had his powdercoated. Maybe he will chime in here on its durability. :smile5:

StrayCatt had his powdercoated. Maybe he will chime in here on its durability. :smile5:

Nothing is going to be as durable as chrome. It's just not, but that's not to say that powder coat won't last.

I've had some experience with powder and it holds up to abuse better than I would have thought.

The finish on my wind deflectors is a two coat powder. It looks fantastic and I like it a lot. The bike has gone only a couple hundred miles since I installed them, so it's too soon to be certain how well they're going to hold up.

I did have to clean a few bugs off the front end of the bike after today's ride and the ones I wiped off of the Ruffy Specials left no evidence of ever having been there. Time will tell.

Check my previous post for pics of my bike with the lower deflectors in place.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know if they will fit on a RSTD? I bought a pair for my RSV but never got around to installing them and have decided to put them in the classifieds as I have missed quite a bit of work, and someone posted asking if they would fit.

Ok, folks, seems like 15 more people are needed for a last run.

I have mine and they look great. i would not have mine chromed as they seem fine as is.

there is enough differences between all the stuff on the bike that the polished aluminum

blends in just fine.

once the last run is done, we will have a unique addition that may never be duplicated.

the price is club terrific too, so thanks to Ruffy and his bud for making this available.

in my area, i have the only set, heh heh.

• 1 month later...

I'm reviving this thread to find out what the cost would be to have you make me a set, regardless of 15 more needed sets. I know it's just a matter of time until mine crack/break since I have the light bar spacer, which means no bumpers to keep the wind from wrecking them. Thanks.

I'm reviving this thread to find out what the cost would be to have you make me a set, regardless of 15 more needed sets. I know it's just a matter of time until mine crack/break since I have the light bar spacer, which means no bumpers to keep the wind from wrecking them. Thanks.

We have no more material left so a new sheet of 6061 T6 would need to be purchased. Even a half sheet would cost several hundred dollars not to mention the cost of driving back and forth from Florida to Savannah to pick up the material. New cutting bits need to be purchased as well as sanding/polishing materials. I dont think you would want to spend over 300 bucks for a set!! Thats why we had the 20 order minimum. Add in the fact that the shed where these are made is not air conditioned and temps in there have been pretty close to 100 degrees lately makes it very hard for Dan to be in there with his health issues. So, if theres a rush for more orders then im sure we can make more but until then.........

By chance, has anyone had theirs chromed? I am wondering about the cost

We priced having them chromed already. Seems there is a 7 step process for aluminum. $160.00 for one set of $135.00 for 5 sets. Thats on top of the price of the deflectors. You may find a cheaper priced shop somewhere to chrome these. These prices were from Space Coast Plating, a well respected shop.

• 3 months later...

Are you guys still working on a 3rd run of those polished aluminum lower deflectors? I lost my left one on an Iron Butt Ride from Kansas City to Ft. Worth. I have had ZERO luck finding a similar product out there on the Internet. I actually joined VentureRider.org specifically so I could get the scoop on this product.

Thanks very much,

Ken "Hardriver" Bradmon

2005 Venture

Sorry, but right now there are no plans to make any more. Dan, the machinist, was out of work at the time but now has a full time job so his time is limited.

But stick around. VentureRider is much more than a set of polished deflectors. Just wait till your entertained by Mini and Yama Mama and mooned by Beer30.