IGNORED

Dunlop D404 - NEVER AGAIN!!!!

RedRider

As some of you may have recalled, I had a tire blow last year while running through West, by God, Virginia. It was a Dunlop D404 that had been put on a couple of months previously. I was beating myself up for neglecting to check my tire pressure and was sure that was what killed it with 5581 miles on it.

For a lot of expense (towing, hotel stay, tire, install, etc.) I was able to get another D404 installed so I could get home. That was the only tire available at the time.

Well - IT ALMOST HAPPENED AGAIN!

I was recently on a 4000 miles run around and was meticulously checking the tire pressure. It never varied from the original 40 lbs. However, as I was checking the tire pressure after getting gas, I noticed the tire wear was extreme. It was already down to, or below, the wear bars in the center of the tire. Thank goodness it was so windy that I wasn't running on the center of the tire.

Since I was about half way across South Dakota and had a good 600 miles (most to be at night) to get home, I thought prudence would be the better part of valor. I pulled into a rest area and got on the phone and found a dealer in NorthWest Iowa with a - D404 tire!!! I had to get home and wanted to get there in one piece.

When I punched the dealer address into my GPS, I noticed it would be 6:30 (they close at 6:00) before I got there. I pulled off the next exit to see if I could find a dealer any closer. Luck had me pull into Chamberlain, SD. I asked for a phone book but there were no M'cycle dealers listed. The clerk mentioned there was a Honda dealer the next exit down, I called and they had - an Elite 3 in the appropriate size. Apparently, that is what the Wings use.

Showed up, they had me drive right into the shop, and the technician and I got to work. I took off the saddlebags, dropped the pipe, and took off the brake caliper. The tech started on the axle. We jacked it up with a standard floor jack balancing it against the kickstand. While the tech removed the dead D404 and installed the E3, he told me where the Moly60 was and I greased the splines. We reinstalled and I paid the standard bill (list price on the tire, but no complaints here). Slipped the tech a twenty on the way out for getting right on it and for letting me help. 45 minutes in and out with a new E3.

OK, bottom line. I got lucky this time. The D404 was not designed for this bike - regardless what the Owners Manual says. The D404 that blew in WV had 5581 miles on it. I now firmly believe the WV tire died a natural death, not from neglect (although, I neglected to inspect for tire wear). This tire, when removed, had 4311 miles on it. Would it have made it another 600 miles? Maybe. But there will never be another D404 on my bike - if I can avoid it.

Just a note on the E3. I felt the tire was not quite as smooth on groved pavement as the D404. Almost like it was a 'harder' tire. However, it might be that the tech did not balance the tire. I was in a rush and we both just forgot. I'll throw in some Dynabeads this weekend and that might help.

It is a very small price to pay if I can actually make a trip and return safely with the same tires on the bike.

The Darksiders almost had me coming over after this. We will see how the E3 works out. Hopefully, I will be able wear it out this year - by riding a lot!!

RR

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cross cut a D 404 and an Elite II ( previous model to E-3 )

404 caseing is 1/4 inch thick,

E-II caseing is 1/2 inch thick. I assume the E-3 is the same thickness.

That E-II. I took off 2 years ago, had about 22K on it.

Thats a good point !! concerning D-404 milage. Its almost as if they are makeing them in two places, one good and one bad !! Or they have changed the rubber compound, and no way to tell the difference.

I feel they are just fine for a small run around town bike, but not a heavy toureing bike.

The E-3 is made for the Gold Wing!! Nuff Said

I'm confused...I run 404's...my last set I got 11,000 miles out of them. just replaced them with new 404's two weeks ago...the front still looked good..but, I decided to replace it any way...most of my day rides are in the 200 mile range..might that have something to do with it...I like the way they handle...:think:

I have a set of 404's on my 02 rsv. they ahve almost 10,000 miles on them and the rear has almost half it tread depth left. Front still looks like new. But then again I baby my bike as it has to last me a long time. My 83 venture had 274,000 on it when it died and all I ever did was routine maint.:2133:

wow. this makes me think that it's gotta be about riding style. there are so many divergent opinions. but let me just add this. I check my tire pressure obsessively. its the number one cause of failure. do it.. it only takes a few minutes.

ride safe yall

11,500 on my 1st set and only 5000 miles on my 2nd set I couldn't believe the differance on the same tire. I was lucky someone noticed it and brought it to my attention. Now on the other side, Tom Moyer had a new E3 installed and it blew out at 75 miles and just after he had checked his air pressure. I just don't know if any tire cane be trusted any more....Ken

I get about 12,000 miles on the rear and pulled them off with about 1/16-1/8" left to te wear bars and that was the same for two tires. The front has have gone 23,000 miles and needs to be replaced.

I do a lot of two up riding and pull a piggy backer.

I will get another set of D404 WWW

Brad

Careful what say. Like others have mentioned I also get 10 - 12 thousand miles out of my D404's and I've never been below the wear indicators at that point, just close enough for me to say it's time to change. I did destroy the last one in a big nasty pothole, but that would have killed any tire. Even then that tire had 12k on it before I ripped a chuck out of the side wall in that pothole.

I have bought two sets of D404 WWW replacements since I've had this bike and I plan to keep buying them.

I ride one up for my daily commute and two up the rest of the time and last year I started pulling a trailer. There is a lot of weight on that rear tire and it holds up fine for me.

Guest Saddletramp

Inflation and riding style have a lot to do with tire wear. However tires are like a piece of fruit, you can't tell what you've got without cutting it open. I have ran 404's, me880 and stones. I've no negative comments about either the Metzlers or Dunlops, but the stones never lasted well. I have always ran my tires at the tire manufacturers max pressure as displayed on the sidewall not the decal on the bike itself.