IGNORED

Need help...To Trike or not to Trike? That is the question.

Aimhigh

Insurance company's are starting to get on-board, as they are

finding out that when triked that they do not fall over as easy and

when that happens with two wheels the damage can be 2 grand

sometimes. matter of fact my insurance went down by 6 dollars

a month. also my company told me all is covered for the

conversion except the $1500.00 for the install fee. otherwise

all is good and covered. the Hannigan also has it's own ven

number as well.

Keep asking Questions!

I am home today if you need to call!

Jeff

Dropped mine last year - while sitting still.

The bill was $4500 - :crying:

craigr

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think I have ever heard of them. Found their website and it looks like just another Voyager knock-off. The optional reverse is a nice feature though.

http://www.triggtrikes.com/motorcycle+trikes+conversion+kits.html

Personally, if I ever go to a trike, I'll likely bite the bullet and go with one of the real trike kits.

Yeah, but you're loaded. :mo money: The rest of us have to work for a living or are on a fixed income. :95:

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Last year I bought a Voyager "Trike" kit. Like you, I searched/shopped for quite a while. I decided on the Voyager because of the larger wheels, and dual, adjustable suspension (both vertical shocks and leaf springs). I bought it used from a guy in NJ who still had it in the crate. He never even put it on his bike. Not sure why. Anyway, I only paid $2,000 for it ($4,100 new), and I had to buy a mounting kit from Voyager, because the original owner bought it for his Harley Road King. The frames are interchangeable for those two bikes, but not the mounting kits. The kit cost me another $530, which included shipping. Now, I am not a mechanic, but the instructions were very detailed, and easy to understand. They include ALOT of pictures, and come in a very sturdy binder. A friend who is also not a mechanic and I were able to fully assemble the Voyager, put the mounting kit on my 2000 RSV, and align it, all in less than four hours. The local Voyager dealer told me it takes him approximately 5 hours. No special tools were required, all done with typical hand tools.

I have a severely disabled ten year old son who loves to ride on our RSV. However, he has no lower body control, so a couple of times, while riding he almost slid off the back seat. Now, with the Voyager on, I use a harness to secure him to the bike. And because of the outrigger system, as long as I am careful, I don't have to worry about the bike going over with the two of us on it. He LOVES it! A local metal shop helped me rig up a cargo carrier onto the ball hitch so we can take his folding wheel chair with us. As an added bonus, I can now ride in less than perfect weather, and again, as long as I'm careful, the chance of going over is greatly reduced. I've even used the bike when there was a few inches of snow on the roadway for winter-time Patriot Guard rides. Finally, the ultimate benefit. When my son is not with me, and the weather is good, it takes me literally, 2 minutes to remove the outrigger frame. Then I get to ride it like a motorcycle, not a "trike." Hope all this helps, Don from PA

Guest tx2sturgis

Hmmmin...in the fourth row of pics on that website, the pic labeled 2006 Ultra Classic...they dont have the picture labeled correctly...wonder how long its been that way...dont they look at their own website?

Well anyway...yep...just another Voyager knockoff...notice the guy NEVER mentions handling? Not in the video, not in the FAQs...in fact they mention that larger riders might need the stabilizer option, (wonder what THAT costs?) and oh yeah...they dont come painted. And with a reverse option...I'm betting it goes up about $6-$8K, plus installation.....sorry, but I see all of these kits as a waste of money (when the full retail price is paid, and unless you have a TEMPORARY need for one, such as an illness or injury, or possibly riding on icy roads) and I have said so before. And no matter what these guys call it, its NOT a trike...in my opinion...its a bike with training wheels...a four wheeler....a quad...or something else, but its NOT a trike.

• 1 month later...

I would like to suggest another option not mentioned yet. The Stallion. It is a purpose built trike from the ground up, not a kit, that has the performance of a corvette, 40 miles to a gallon, reverse, heat and air, power steering, etc. They certainly have a different look but if you consider what you get for the price they will be on my short list when the time comes.

http://www.thoroughbred-motorsports.com/

My 2 cents...

David

:santa:

Yep...you are the target demographic for trikes. I say GO for it, you'll have a blast, assuming it doesnt put you in a financial crunch.

At least two of the 'issues' with the Royal Stars will be solved by triking it. Rear drive hub issues and top heavy slow speed handling issues. And assuming you arent in a wheelchair, you wont even need to worry about a reverse gear on a trike. The can be pushed SO easily, since you dont have to balance them. If you can push a loaded shopping cart thru a grocery store, you can push a trike.

When its complete, you will fall in love with the 'bike' all over again. I have ridden many brands of trikes, and from experience, I can say that they are a blast to ride, and once on the open road, they feel much like what you are used to. Its when you get into traffic and stops and starts, that you will find a trike is a wonderful vehicle to be riding. Trikes easily pull a trailer, as long as you dont go overboard on your trailer weight. They DO require more 'elbow grease' when turning, but you will get used to this. A trike can be turned lock to lock(parking lot speeds), without fear of tipping over. All trikes have what is called 'headshake'...this is normal and generally only occurs at one particular speed, usually when decelerating. You get used to this too, its not scary, but its there. And a skilled trike rider can easily outcorner the average 2 wheel rider, especially at 'around town' speeds.

Good luck on your journey.

Hmm, this has been a interesting post! Sounds like you've had lots of experience tX2sturgis, with all of your experience and different rides does the rake kit help that much in cornering? I live out here in the Pacific Northwest, rural Idaho and Washington and have lots of secondary back roads with lots of corners and steep grades and your telling us that a skilled trike rider can outcorner the average 2 wheel rider? Not doubting your skills but would have to see that! the only trike I've ridden, for a short distance, was my friends new Harley trike and it wasn't easy to steer at all! Will be looking forward to going to Kamloops, BC this spring to check out the Hannigan and hopefully they will have one to do a demo ride on??

Great Post!

Larry M

When you do get a demo ride on a Hannigan you will love it. I have the ezsteer and it is very smooth. You can turn pretty tight but you need the right technique, use a push and pull motion and it comes right around. Push the outboard grip and pull the inboard by keeping your elbow in close to your body. A little trial and error tweaking your technique and it becomes second nature.

• 11 months later...

Hello Jim.

I am Papaw len and I just turned 72 on the 16th on Nov. Mamaw nancy and I are a pair that have been married 51 years and we enjoy riding ,BUT, thought we were going to have to give up riding as I could no longer control the size and weight of our venture. WELL NOW!! HEAR THIS!!! go on site and check out ( midtown cycles st cloud.com)

If you still want more info: call and talk to Darren.Chances his wife Linda will answer the phone. Wonderful people. He is almost finished with mine. Will pick it up on the 2nd. of Dec. If you call please tell him Len Boucher told you about them as I promised we would tell others. no bird dog, just fell like bragtging on them. The deal was so good that we trailered the bike down from north of Atl., left it , and will pick it up,trips down and back two times ,AND STILL LESS then any price quoated to me any where else I checked with.

This is all custom work. NOT a kit. Well worth checking out.

Papaw Len.:grandpa:

What about the folding hydraulic outrigger kits? that way when your in motion your on a bike, when you come to a stop they deploy and keep your bike upright.

Best of both worlds there, dunno how much they cost or if there is a dedicated kit for the RSV but I believe they make them for wings and such, could be worth a look into and maybe check some local fab shops to see what it'd take to make one work.

You guys do realize that this thread is a year old,,,,:confused24:

Yeah....but the winter "oh my God...what do I do with myself now" crazies have started to decend!

Next thing you know someone will revive the toilet paper thread....oh wait......they already did that!!!!!

What's next?

WHO KNOW'S....but I'm sure it will be interesting.:whistling:

• 3 years later...
regarding the voyager kit, i'm a bit skiddish of them. I also am looking at a trike by some means in the near future. I have a real new RSV and a not so new body if you know what i mean.

I had a friend who had a pretty bad accident after getting a voyager kit. She was a new rider, and that could have been part of it... i just dont know. I just know that if i ever get on a trike with my loved one, it won't be something I put together myself. It will be a conversion by a company that does it day in and day out.

Sorry for the incomplete, yet long story... It still bugs me.

Hello, I have heard a lot about voyager kits. I have put 55,000 miles on a kit and did it myself, I would not allowed anybody to install one on my bike. There are 5 different critical settings that must be on the money, no way can you trust somebody to take all that time to complete those setting right. Your back tire even has a pre height setting, We put one on a 68 year old buddy"s bike and 35,000 care free miles. I can not see putting a 10,000.00 trike kit if my bike is worth less then the trike kit, and you tow a trailer from the middle belly pan instead of one off the rear of a bike. And for some crazy reason you do not like trikes, you can sell the kit, and we usually ride 2 up and pull a trailer. Good luck with your choice, Jim