IGNORED

Am I nuts or what?

I am in the process of buying a 90 Venture Royal with under 20K miles from out of state (the Phoenix area) and plan on flying in and riding it home to the Seattle area. The bike has been at the mechanics for several weeks getting a complete going over. They have fixed leaky fork seals and petcock replaced all the brake pads and fluids. New battery, cleaned and serviced the carbs and a number of other smaller issues. The tires are reported to have good tread but are about 6>8 years old so I plan on having those replaced before I make the ride back. I just learned that there may be a problem with the air shock system (CLASS?). I’m not sure what exactly but my guess is that it is not allowing you to adjust the air pressure. I have no experience with the 1st gen Venture’s my questions is. Can you still ride the bike if the CLASS system doesn’t work? Can you manually pump up the shocks and just leave them at that setting?

My other option is to have the bike shipped to me which is actually a bit cheaper, but not nearly as much fun as a 1500 + mile ride home through some “new to me” states.

Thanks

Al

Or what!

Sounds like a nice bike and I'm betting the air system just needs the boards resoldered to make it work right.

As for driving it without air....hmmmm that might be interesting. And nope you cant adjust unless you have the system working. Remember it only works with the key on ACC position. If you are seeing a "E"2 error you could first unplug the thing from under the panel and replug it in. That panel just flips up and you will see were its plugged together. That might work to get you home.

Be patient...and dont hit the adjust buttoms too soon. It takes a moment or two to switch to each setting. Adjust from the center stand.

Your'e not nuts I sold my 81 goldwing to a guy in New York he flew into Birmingham payed me in the parking deck and had a 4 day ride home. He called every night to keep me updated and said it was the ride of his life.

Enjoy the ride! Thats what it's all about.

Not sure about the air ride but someone here will know. Good Luck and have a SAFE trip.

On my 86 VR, I ran 0 air pressure in the front and 15 in the rear.

You can add air manually. No problem.

Have a great ride! I did the same thing a few years ago. Took a train out to NY and road it back home. 900 miles. First time on a VR. Had a fantastic trip.

Good luck with your new bike and don't worry about the CLASS.

You can check it out when you get home.

Steve

Hello Al,

Everything sounds great, but if you check the prevoius thread.... you will see that First Gens are full of bugs. :rotfl: (Something is bugging me).

I had to get that in. Of course I am a Second Gen owner. We are always getting beat up. :Avatars_Gee_George:

Just the same, have a safe journey home. Enjoy the new toy!

Ricardo.

In late June I took Amtrak from BWI near Baltimore to Portland, ME, to pick up my 1988 Venture Royale. When I got to Portland, the seller picked me up, took me to his place, and I paid the balance due on the bike, loaded it with my gear, and I was on my way.

Stayed overnight at a motel in Lewiston, then took off early in the morning the next day for home in Maryland. It was a 700-mile ride, with one overnight stay along the way -- a great way for me to get acquainted with a totally different motorcycle.

For details, read what I wrote in a local news and commentary site: http://www.thetentacle.com, where I'm a regular contributor. Go to http://www.thetentacle.com/ShowArticle.cfm?mydocid=2677 .

For a follow-up article, go to http://www.thetentacle.com/ShowArticle.cfm?mydocid=275 . No, you are not nuts! :sun1:

Nah, don't worry about it! Being new to you, you won't notice the difference in handling until you get it fixed. Besides, there is a lot of members in the VR assistance list. Just download a copy just in case. Post your route and I'm sure there will be members along the way wiling to meet up with you and ride a ways with you as well!

Go for it!! Have an ad-Venture!!!

Thanks guys, for all the replies. I was a bit concerned about riding the bike if the CLASS wasn't working. I'll have a few days in Sun City visiting relatives so I'll see if I can figure out the issue is. If not I’ll just ride it as it is.

I'm not 100% sure of my route yet, I'm trying to see if I can get a few extra days before I have to get back to work so I don't have to head straight home. My general idea is to head in a northwesterly direction through AZ, NV ID OR to WA, but I may cut over to CA and ride some of the great roads in Central and North CA.

Thanks again for all the words in encouragement.

Al

On my 86 VR, I ran 0 air pressure in the front and 15 in the rear.

You can add air manually. No problem.

Your '86 is a standard. You can't manually add air to a Royal.

As far as riding the bike home at 0-0 I don't see any problem as long as it's not over loaded, and don't try to get it up on the centerstand without a bit of volunteer help... :)

There are quite a few things that could cause the CLASS not to work. Anywhere from throwing 5 different error codes, to no power, to leaks in the system somewhere. I'd suggest unplugging and plugging the power cord and bus connection a couple of times to see if might get the thing to start working again. I had one that needed a rap to get it going every once in a while.

Yes you cant add air to a Royal. Depending how heavy you are running 0-0 air might be a little squirrely feeling. I would turn up the rear damper on the left side to 4 near the rear passanger foot rest. Should be Ok. I ran 0-0 after my rebuild after my crash felt a little less solid handling not as sure footed but I'm 602 275lbs being lighter might be less of an issue.

Time to show my ignorance: what is "CLASS"...I'm assuming it is just a 1st gen thing, but it would be nice to have an idea what you all are talking about.

By the way...just because you have a good idea doesn't necessarily mean that you are not nuts!

Have a great trip if you decide to go that route.

I'd sure hate to think about you riding a strange bike with a partially disabled suspension system. If you PM me or direct to capnm@mascom.com, maybe we can work out a temporary loan of a known-good CLASS CONTROLLER.

While, as others have said, you could have a variety of problems unrelated to the controller, it seems that most of the issues lie in the circuit board.

My '86 is currently down for major maintenance and I won't be using it again this season. Please don't feel bad for me: I have a sweet '84 and sweeter '05 Silver Wing to ride!

If we are able to work something out, you could swap out the entire controller in 5 minutes and (most likely) dial in your front and rear pressures.

If you like, you can call me in the evening. Number is at my Ebay Store under "Contact Us" link: http://stores.ebay.com/Gun-Lake-Scooters

Murph'

Someone has already mentioned checking the connections at the CLASS controller first. That's easy. Sometimes you just have to fiddle with them a little. One thing to watch for, air the front suspension up first. It runs on a lot lower pressure and you don't want to be blowing seals in the front end. Enjoy.

One thing to watch for, air the front suspension up first. It runs on a lot lower pressure and you don't want to be blowing seals in the front end.

IMHO, if anything, the front seals last longer without air pressure in the forks.

Yeah, "CLASS" is a VR thing. It's something 1st gen owners have and 2nd gens do not...hehehe.

Ya know, you're taking a risk, mainly the risk of the bike quitting and you getting stranded. But with all the recent service and new tires, the risk is pretty low. And what fun is life without risk, anyway? I'd ride it without air in the suspension; not ideal but not dangerous IMO. If you can borrow a CLASS controller, all the better. Pack light, bring a few basic tools, a service manual if you can, and have fun!

When are you going to PHX? A little farther south and you'd be in my neck of the woods.

Jeremy

I ‘m amazed, for a bike that hasn’t been produced for 15 years this is a very active forum. I sold my Valkyrie in February and got a 1000 V-Strom which I absolutely love, except for riding 2up. It’s a bit cramped with a passenger on the back. So I started looking for an older touring bike. The older Goldwings were to expensive and I had pretty much narrowed it down to a Kawa Voyager. Until a few weeks ago while on an overnight

trip on the V-Strom I saw a group of 1st gen Ventures riding in eastern WA. They were such cool looking bikes and from that point I was sold and had to have the Venture. Seeing how much everyone loves these bikes and how active this forum is I think I made the right choice. The bike is currently being stored at my wife’s uncles house and we plan to spend a few days visiting before I head off for home and she will be flying back. I found the thread that outlines how to check circuit board so I will bring a soldering iron with me and see if I can fix it before I head out.

Thanks,

Al

Taking a risk.......Hmmmmmm........... Easy to do. Rebuilt my bike over the winter, finished it up at 3am the night before leaving for a 250 mile ride to Freebirds house for Maintenance Day this year. Had 10 miles on the bike over to boys baseball game and back Thursday nite, fixed a couple things. Loaded up the bike Friday morning, took off with the Navigator at 11am, never looked back. Now THAT's faith in your work and the bike....................

Or I'm just plain nuts.............(Watch it Squid, Eck, Ruffrider, Yammer, etc.......)

LOL

Dan

One thing to watch for, air the front suspension up first. It runs on a lot lower pressure and you don't want to be blowing seals in the front end. Enjoy.

Hmm ive enver heard that before, it seems to me that pressure would be the same whether you do the front before or after the rear shock. Am I out in left field here?

Brian