IGNORED

Anyone ever used a Frantz bypass oil filter which uses a roll of Toilet Paper?

VanRiver

Not a Venture related question but since we have so many experienced and mechanically inclined guys and gals on the forum I thought I would ask an Oil Filter question.

I've been watching some youtube videos about additional oil filtration systems and supposedly there are aftermarket oil bypass filters that actually use a standard roll of toilet paper as the filter media!!!!! Wow! And supposedly a toilet paper role provides 1000 ply filtration down to 2 microns of particulate filtration! Do these things actually work? Is this fact or just another snake oil marketing scheme?

Is there anyone who has ever used one of these things?

http://www.frantzfilters.com

https://youtu.be/bKGH6zTZitc

Screen Shot 2018-02-08 at 11.14.29 PM.jpg

Edited by VanRiver

Haven’t used one of these since I had my 63 GMC which BTY was on it when I bought it.

Back then the TP seemed to be a bit thicker butt what a mess when it came changing it out.

Wet oily TP dripping all over and the breakdown of the paper was horrendous.

It took two rolls of paper towel to sop up the oil that spilled out.

Took it off and put in a real filter after that one oil change, much better.

Another thing to consider is the cost of the set up. How many real filters can you buy for the cost of the TP set up.

About $250 for the TO set up or $8.00 for a regular filter.

If you change your oil every 3000 to 5000 miles it would take over 120000 miles just to break even on the cost not including the cost of the TP, paper towel.

Thank my humble opinion.

I used a similar setup to filter the moisture out of the air compressor when I would paint a pickup or car some 25 years ago. I think I still have it laying around in the barn somewhere. It worked great for what I was doing. Might be afraid to trust it on a vehicle though.

Bill

I didn't know they were still around. I remember those when I was a kid and working on cars back in the 60s. I'd buy a real filter as I did then.

:sign yeah that: I remember them being used by a local taxi fleet back in the early 70's. seems to me they did not pan out well. Using the single ply industrial scratch your butt paper wasn't to bad and they would change them out weekly, but Charmin or other soft papers just dissolved and went through every where. I would strongly advise walking away from that idea.

I think they was used early one in cars that did not have a pressurized system and had like a 30 percent filter system. I am not that old but take an air line with 40 ibs. presser and blow at a roll of toilet paper then add oil. Question answered.

These were used on engines that did not have full pressure oil systems or filters from the factory Old BMW motorcycles had them and they seemed to work well on those back in the day. I see no reason to use one on a modern engine. I thought they went out of business years ago. I haven't seen one of those in forever.