IGNORED

Has anybody tried LED Headlights?

a1bummer

Does anybody have any experience with these CREE LED headlights? From what I've been finding, they're comparable to HID headlights. I liked my HID headlight, when it was working properly. First ballast lasted 1 month to the day, second ballast lasted 10-11 months, third ballast will only give me a split second of light when I turn it on and it is bran spankin' new. WARNING: stay away from HIDCountry, now known as Light-Pro's.com. I'm still waiting to hear back from them about the DOA ballast I got.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2013-new-design-5000K-High-Power-50W-Cree-chip-H4-LED-Headlights-Bulbs-Upgrading-Fog-lights/1260079384.html

Thanks,

Bill

Well, still no reply back on my email I sent to them on Tuesday. On their website it states "All emails received after 12 noon will be answered within 24 hours." I sent another with a little attitude this time. Now its hurry up and wait again.

Bill

I am running PIAA fog lights and love them. They light up the road to the front and sides without blinding oncoming traffic or reflecting back at me in rain or fog.

I'm running the same, well maybe not (passing lamps) but here are the numbers: PIAA-70323 H3 (halogen) advertised as 35W=70W at $38 ech. I did try various LEDs but always had a problem at night casting too much uncontrolled light blinding oncoming traffic judging by the number of times they flicked their high beams. Daytime wasn't a problem.

Edited by aharbi

Well, I finally got a hold of light-pros to get that ballast replaced. I never got a response to ANY of my emails, so I had to call them. The guy asked me why I hadn't called sooner. I told him I sent several emails but got no reply. He said it was better to call rather than email as they get so many emails, they tend to get lost easily. Funny, their site says all support needs to be done vis email.

I also asked if they were affiliated with HID Country. He said no, the owner simply bought their web domain, so they get asked that a lot. So i guess if you paid the extra $$ to get HID Country's "lifetime warranty," they stole your money.

I did end up buying one of the CREE LED headlights. I'm hoping to get it and have it in by this weekend to go on the Leaf Lookers Run. I'll let ya guys know if its any good. I've already tried another LED "headlight" bulb. It has 120 super bright SMD, (Surface Mount Device) LEDs, but they were nowhere near sufficient to use in a headlight. They produced more of a flood pattern than a spot. I already have 4 LED aux lights on the front that do a very good job lighting up the road where the headlight doesn't hit it directly in front of me and light up the ditches real good as well.

Edited by a1bummer

I also asked if they were affiliated with HID Country. He said no, the owner simply bought their web domain, so they get asked that a lot. So i guess if you paid the extra $$ to get HID Country's "lifetime warranty," they stole your money.

It is also a big coincidence that they have the same street address and phone number as HID country did. and exactly the same product line. :whistling:

The Lifetime warranty did not say whose lifetime.... It must have meant HID Countries Lifetime.

I have 7 HID lights that I bought from HID Country, I am very happy with all of them.

When I bought the last set, the person I spoke with on the phone, told me that the lifetime warranty is not worth the money.

But now I need to buy another 6 HIDs, 4 for the truck and 2 for the bike.....:mo money:

At one time, I could've sworn they had the same address and tele number as well, but now that I look again,

HID Country

3333 N. Washington Blvd., Unit 4

Sarasota, Florida 34234

941-365-1305

and

Light-Pros

1963 12th St. Unit B

Sarasota, FL 34236

941-952-3960

Google Earth shows them being about 10 blocks or so apart.

That's what I found on the BBB website as well. HID Country had 39 complaints over 17 months. So far, Light-Pros has 1. But from the complaints and the descriptions of the issues and owners, it sounds like they could very well be the same people.

Edited by a1bummer

• 4 weeks later...

I got my CREE LED and installed it a few weeks ago. I noticed right away that it looked to be about as bright as the HID light. I took it for a ride at night and it lit up the road nicely on low beam, but high beam didn't add much to the beam pattern. It did add some, but not as much as I hoped. Only one LED comes on for low beam, and both LEDs come on for high beam. The top LED is for high beam and is a bit closer to the tip of the bulb. I'm thinking the high beam LED is a bit too close to the tip of the bulb for the headlight bucket to reflect that LED properly. I'm going to try adjusting how far the bulb sits in the headlight and see if I can get a better pattern on high beam.

I had also talked to Light Pro's back on Oct. 8th about the bad ballast I was sent for my HID bulb, and they were going to send me one right away. I tried several times in the months before that to email them with no response. Almost a month later and no new ballast in the mail. I called again today asking where it was. That guy on the phone said they were out of ballasts before even asking my name or what ballast I was referring to. I asked him how they could be out of ALL their ballasts for the last month and nobody bothered to notify anybody. The last guy didn't say they were out of them and they would send it out that day. Now this guy says he'll have one out today. I also asked what they were going to do about the one year warranty since it was bad from the start and I've been trying to get a new one for months now. He said he didn't know what to tell me.

I called HID's old number and Light Pro's answered. I asked "Chris" if they used to be HID Country and he said they "bought" their old number. Who ever heard of that? He's also the one who told me a while back a different time I had called them, they bought HID Country's domain as well. Which now leads me to Light Pros.

I also found HID Country's videos on Youtube that a Mason Deane had posted. I followed Mr. Deans link to find both the HID Country and Light Pro's logos on his page.

It all seems to be way to coincidental doesn't it? It's certainly feeling like these people are a bunch of liars to me.

Bill

I am running the stock bulb on my 2007 RSV and using two of these to make the night into day. At 70 mph in the dark I can see far enough ahead to stop comfortably- don't outrun your headlights -

http://www.visionxwholesale.com/black-optimus-led-20-degree-light-kit-two-lights-and-an-install-kit-xil-op120kit/

I have measured the distance they light up an object in the street - 600 feet !

I have them mounted up high on angle braces off the mirror stocks. I have the right one fixed and the left loose enough to adjust as needed.

VentureFar...

• 1 month later...

Well, I had to call Light-Pros yet again this morning because I STILL haven't received a replacement for the faulty ballast I got back in May. I've sent several emails requesting a replacement this summer with no reply. I called a couple months ago and finally talked to a fellow named Chris who assured me he was sending me a replacement. Another month went by and nothing, so I call again and explain that I still haven't received my replacement. This guy said they were out of ballasts before even asking me which one I needed or who I was. After getting my name and looking up the order he said he would have one out that afternoon. Another month goes by with nothing in the mail. I call again this morning and get Chris again. I ask him why I haven't gotten my replacement yet. Again I get the old line about them being out of stock. This time he said he would send a label for me to send mine back to them. I asked when I can expect to get it. This week, next week, three weeks? Then he gets pissed at me and starts telling me he doesn't like being called a liar and didn't like my attitude. I tell him he told me he was going to send me a replacement 2 months ago and it never happened. He said it must have been his brother I talked to. I asked if his brother's name was Chris too. Then I asked for the owner's name and asked to speak to him. Turns out his brother is the owner and his name is Jerrold, but he wouldn't give me his last name. When I got the owner on the horn, he immediately started giving me crap about being a smart ass and said they don't appreciate being called liars. I explained how long I've been trying to get a replacement ballast and how many emails went unanswered and how many times I've been told one was going to be sent out that day. Then asked what he would be calling me if roles had been reversed. Then I said, "you people have lied to me several times now." Then he got really pissed and asked me what I meant by "you people" and that he was black and take extreme offense at what I said. I said you people, as in, you people over at Light-Pros. I told him I could care less what color he is, and I'm talking to him on the phone, so how the hell am I supposed to know what color he is in the first place. He kept going on about me being a racist and calling him, "you people." I was about to call his a dumb son-of-a-b*tch, but I caught myself at, you dumb. Then he insisted I was about to call him a niger. The conversation just got more and more out of hand as he kept going on playing the "race card" on me and I finally hung up on him. I kept my composure as best I could and never went with any name calling or race bashing no matter how pissed I was getting. NEVER before had I ever been treated so nasty by customer service or company owner.

Long story short, STAY AWAY FROM LIGHT-PROS.COM!

Still don't know if I'm going to get my replacement ballast either. lol!:rotf:

Guest tx2sturgis
Well, I had to call Light-Pros yet again this morning because I STILL haven't received a replacement for the faulty ballast I got back in May. I've sent several emails requesting a replacement this summer with no reply. I called a couple months ago and finally talked to a fellow named Chris who assured me he was sending me a replacement. Another month went by and nothing, so I call again and explain that I still haven't received my replacement. This guy said they were out of ballasts before even asking me which one I needed or who I was. After getting my name and looking up the order he said he would have one out that afternoon. Another month goes by with nothing in the mail. I call again this morning and get Chris again. I ask him why I haven't gotten my replacement yet. Again I get the old line about them being out of stock. This time he said he would send a label for me to send mine back to them. I asked when I can expect to get it. This week, next week, three weeks? Then he gets pissed at me and starts telling me he doesn't like being called a liar and didn't like my attitude. I tell him he told me he was going to send me a replacement 2 months ago and it never happened. He said it must have been his brother I talked to. I asked if his brother's name was Chris too. Then I asked for the owner's name and asked to speak to him. Turns out his brother is the owner and his name is Jerrold, but he wouldn't give me his last name. When I got the owner on the horn, he immediately started giving me crap about being a smart ass and said they don't appreciate being called liars. I explained how long I've been trying to get a replacement ballast and how many emails went unanswered and how many times I've been told one was going to be sent out that day. Then asked what he would be calling me if roles had been reversed. Then I said, "you people have lied to me several times now." Then he got really pissed and asked me what I meant by "you people" and that he was black and take extreme offense at what I said. I said you people, as in, you people over at Light-Pros. I told him I could care less what color he is, and I'm talking to him on the phone, so how the hell am I supposed to know what color he is in the first place. He kept going on about me being a racist and calling him, "you people." I was about to call his a dumb son-of-a-b*tch, but I caught myself at, you dumb. Then he insisted I was about to call him a niger. The conversation just got more and more out of hand as he kept going on playing the "race card" on me and I finally hung up on him. I kept my composure as best I could and never went with any name calling or race bashing no matter how pissed I was getting. NEVER before had I ever been treated so nasty by customer service or company owner.

Long story short, STAY AWAY FROM LIGHT-PROS.COM!

Still don't know if I'm going to get my replacement ballast either. lol!:rotf:

I have an idea: Buy a standard H4 bulb. Install bulb. Ride.

:happy34:

If I remember next time I go over to b-inlaws which is by Sarasota I'll try to take the addy with me and scope it out guys. Its a shame someone running a bussiness is like that. I was allways taught customer service is a priority.

If I remember next time I go over to b-inlaws which is by Sarasota I'll try to take the addy with me and scope it out guys. Its a shame someone running a bussiness is like that. I was allways taught customer service is a priority.

Those values have fallen fast by the waist side...or waste side, depending on your take.

More and more people want to charge top dollar, give crap products or service, and customer service is either automated or foreign born. It's ENOUGH!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I've been looking at LED for my RSV. Glad I found this thread.

Wasn't aware that there were H4 plug in type CREE LEDs, but after reading a few reviews I am not sure I want to go that route. Already spent a fair piece on a Phase 7 LED through Truck Lite that was installed on my V*650.

Was going to swap out the Phase 7, and after splitting the fairing I find the housing is going to be tricky. I really like the Phase 7 light, low beam is fantastic, high beam is ludicrous! If I get something figured out I'll post back.

Guest tx2sturgis

I tried an HID bulb...couldnt get along with it. Tossed the entire kit in the garbage.

I dont yet like the 'off' appearance of the LED headlights...and not quite sold on them yet for long distance lighting power. I think they will get there, given some time.

In the meanwhile, I swapped out a 7 inch German made Hella E-Code lamp and 80/85 watt bulb (with relay) on my Ural and I am VERY impressed. Very bright, broad forward pattern (on LO beam) with a sharp cutoff that doesnt blind oncoming drivers. E-Code headlamps also have a 'lift' or 'kink' of light on the right, that illuminates road signs on the right.

High beam is impressive as well.

My 2000 Harley ElectraGlide came stock with a Bosch German made E-Code headlamp.

The good quality Hella always works, no ballast issues, and if the high power bulb fails, any standard H4 bulb will work. Hella units are not cheap. But they are not unreasonable either. What is good, reliable forward vision worth when traveling at 75 mph on a dark, remote highway?

E-Code European headlamps are perfectly legal on a motorcycle in the USA.

I think any rider who uses an HID bulb should also use an E-Code headlamp if one is available for that particular bike.

Just sayin. :happy34:

Edited by tx2sturgis