IGNORED

Cost of ownership: Does anyone keep records?

Guest tx2sturgis

Guest tx2sturgis

Does anyone keep good records of the cost of ownership of these large bikes?

Yeah, we know what it costs to fill up the gas tank, or put on a set of new tires, but I wonder if someone on the forum has kept good records of what it costs per mile to own and ride one of these machines?

I can guess, and make some educated calculations, but what I'd like to do is make a comparison between say, owning and riding a Venture for 5 years, vs owning and driving an average compact or midsize car (of about the same initial purchase price) for the same amount of time and miles.

Of course you might have to correct for mileage not ridden in the winter, but if you compare the initial purchase, the insurance, the gas, the tires, the maintenance, repairs, and any upgrades wanted, are we ahead financially with a large touring bike? I doubt it.

To be fair, I would assume that both vehicles should be covered by a warranty for the entire 5 years, and any warranty repairs that are done, do not affect the owners cost of ownership. But I think its also fair to include any and all riding gear purchased, including helmets, riding suits, heated gear, boots, gloves, goggles and so on. This gear should be included in the cost of ownership, cuz you gotta have most of it.

Sure, we get some decent fuel mileage, but when you figure ALL the costs involved, including resale value after say 5 years...I bet a standard econobox car is cheaper to own.

I'm not including the 'fun' factor, we all know bikes are more enjoyable most of the time.

Does anyone keep good accurate records from purchase to resale?

:think:

I never have...

Cost of Ownership of any older vehicle is higher than a newer one. So I am guessing if you take a 2007 or newer zero maintenance needed Venture compared to an econo box? It also depends if you DIY all maintenance. Car Oil changes at the dealer is $14.95. the Yamaha Dealer around here charges $45.00 for an oil change. Car tires are $450.00 If I dont take the wheels off the bike, the dealer charges $500.00 for tires and installation. (see a pattern?)

My 2007 civic get's a $30.00 synthetic oil change every 10,000 miles, new tires every 40,000 miles, and every 100,000 it get's the fluids changed like brake, tranny,radiator,etc...

my 83 get's oil changed every 2000 as I dont like how dark it is for about $15.00. Tires every 8,000 miles. All fluids changed every 3 years.. I dont count the yearly $600-800 in parts to keep it running perfectly and like new.

If I wanted Economy, I would buy a Honda NT700. Those are zero maintenance engines and bikes (no valve lash to check or adjust) and get 60mpg. I have seen European versions of the NT700 go 350,000 miles without any maintenance at all other than tire changes and oil changes. I am certain that that bike would be far cheaper than an econobox, but still just as miserable to ride in the winter (I'm in michigan) compared to an econobox :-)

A Venture is like driving a BMW 525. It's not purchased for cheap transportation.

I do all my maintenance on the bike and over 3 years about 35 cents a mile on the bike about 50 in my car based on 5 years.

Avons cost me 6 cents a mile Dunlops cost me 8 cents a mile. Stopped keeping logs when my wife crashed my hard drive.

Are we talking cost of OWNERSHIP or cost of MAINTENANCE here?

Ownership includes the cost of the vehicle, insurance, etc PLUS the maintenance and repairs MINUS what you sell it for.

I'd rather see a cost of "ownership" comparison of similar bikes such as Harley Ultra, Victory Vision, Goldwing, etc, etc. over a 5 year period.

Are we talking cost of OWNERSHIP or cost of MAINTENANCE here?

Ownership includes the cost of the vehicle, insurance, etc PLUS the maintenance and repairs MINUS what you sell it for.

I'd rather see a cost of "ownership" comparison of similar bikes such as Harley Ultra, Victory Vision, Goldwing, etc, etc. over a 5 year period.

I included everything gas, Insurance, taxes, tags, tires, oil, etc...

Car is a 2007 Focus

Bike 99 RSV

First off, I'm not a detail person.

Mainly, it's a hobby. If I can't afford it, I'll sell it.

I have a 2003 Impala I drive daily - hauls more, gets about 28-30 mpg (according to the onboard computer) if I keep it around 65 on a trip, very comfortable. Fun factor = 0

1967 Ford F100 - hauls a lot, about 10 mpg no matter how fast or slow I drive because of the Mustang GT engine and other goodies, very comfortable. Fun factor = 9 (on a 10 point scale) I checked the mileage once and never did it again because....if I can't afford it, I'll sell it.

1999 RSV with sidecar - hauls enough, gets between 25 and 35 mpg depending on cargo and speed (more mpg when I drive, less when he drives), driver's seat somewhat comfortable, hack seat very comfortable. Fun factor = 12 I've checked the mileage on the last 3 trips and won't bother again.

My brother does all the maintenance and work on the cars and trucks for free. The bike costs me more at this point to maintain....and every time I read something on this site I add to that darn "want" list. Haven't found a metric mechanic in the area, but some other friends have worked on the Broom for very reasonable prices.

I always admire folks that keep detailed records. I know it's nice to have when buying used vehicles. Whoever buys my stuff......will just have to use their imagination :cool10:

If you are going to do a cost of ownership comparison it should be similar to similar.

Compare a cheap econo car to a cheap econo bike.

Compare a high end luxury car to a high end luxury bike like the ones we are riding.

You have set up you comparison as if you are looking for an excuse to get rid of the bike.

In most parts of the country most people NEED to own a car. there are very few people or places that you can realistically live with just a bike and no car. I know there are some that do. Based on that the bike is just a pure pleasure toy, not a necessity of life.

I do not keep records cuz my bike is a toy it does have some practicality, but it in reality it serves no function other than riding enjoyment that my P/U truck can not provide better. Since it is just a toy, I dont care what it costs and all of the money that is spent on it is pure disposable income.

:mo money:

I keep really good records of my maintenance,miles,receipts,cost for parts and so forth. But no driving cost records. A very good point though and I like what I read. I have thought about a cheaper and smaller bike to ride to work and just ride the RSTD when on trips. But it suits so well, I just do not want to ride anything else.

For the record, my 2009 Toyota Rav4-4 cylinder- 4X4 gets 26 mpg around home, 23 - 24 on the interstate.

1998 Chevy pick up V8 - 21 mpg

1994 Olds 98 V6 3800 - 25 mpg

Bike gets 45 average always. Checked until I have decided to quit checking. The speedometer is off by 7 miles (I need to get the fix for that). Avon tires around 12,500 miles - 14,000 miles.

:mo money:

Fuzzy :usa:

Edited by FuzzyRSTD
Double signed - oops....

Guest tx2sturgis

You have set up you comparison as if you are looking for an excuse to get rid of the bike.

On the contrary...that is not my intent at all.

I wasn't looking to set up a losing scenario...I'm wanting some cold hard facts from someone who keeps good records....

My employer charges me 1100 per year to park my truck for work so I don't. The charge for my bike is 120 per year for the same lot so I do --but it makes winter rough. My 3500 dollar bike has paid for itself twice now, I can't say that for any of the four wheel things I drive so I guess the cost of ownership is relative. I ride every day so I win big!

A lot would depend on how far you ride to work also such as I who has a 32 mile trip one way.The bike definitely saves me money in gas and tires oil changes etc. as I do all of the maintenance myself.Plus as others have mentioned here you have to take the fun factor into account.I choose to call riding my bike my therapy.When I am on my bike I am not an old man anymore and the problems of the day seem a lot less by the time I get home.Sure I could get a smaller more economical bike but the comfort on the trip to and from work sure is nice.I don't keep track of what it costs to keep the bike going especially after finally getting the wife convinced that a bike is a big money saver for us.Plus I wouldn't have met all you fine people on here if I didn't have the Royal Star Venture.

Guest HdHtr

Lets see ... 3 sets of plugs, one set of plug wires, 2 clutches, 3 sets of brakes, one windshield, lots of tires ... 200,000 miles.

Fairly easy on the pocket book.

INteresting how people spend more time fixing and maintaning the bike than a car.

I do not keep records like that but I do log the fuel mileage and basic service needs (Brakes, tires, oil tie rods etc..) without the cost, just a reminder when it was done last (date and mileage only). All service work and repairs done by me and sometimes I get help from a friend.

My guess is that bike will cost more to operate but as said who cares. There is a cost of getting you from point A to B for what ever reason you need to get there.

Brad

I bought my 2007, 15 months ago. So far I have $8,447 into it. This includes gas, maintenance, accessories, payments, insurance and everything related to the bike. If I bought gas and picked up a pop that is included since I would not have been there if I wasn't getting Gas for the bike. that works out to $563 I have put approximation 5,000 miles on it so far. that works out to $1.69 a mile. Works out to be about the same amount a month for the car, I do use the bike for work when possible.