IGNORED

Tell The Truth- Do You Always Wear A Helmet?

Yama Mama

Do you always wear a helmet?  

782 members have voted

1. 1. Do you always wear a helmet?

• I always wear a helmet when I ride.
    • I wear my helmet sometimes.
    • I refuse to wear a helmet.

You left one option out of the poll.

That being, " Yes always, because I am forced to by a gestapo like State, who is considering a new helmet law that says you can ride without your helmet IF you pay for a $200 permit" ... Talk about a stupid law.:bang head:

It's illegal only if you get caught........:bobby:

And sometimes even then it's still OK.

I've passed leo's going in the other direction several times wearing only a bandana on my head. Never even gave me a second look, except for one time. His brake lights came on as soon as he was past me, and then he must have got side tracked and kept going.

The thumb is a good place to ride lidless. Lots of road and few leo's.

Legal disclaimer.

The above post is for entertainment purposes only and is in no way an admission of guilt or illegal activity, either in practice or intent, on the authors part.

Further, said author always follows the laws and statutes of any and all cities, counties, townships, or other legally established authority having jurisdiction over whatever state of the country that he happens to be in.

Still further yet, the author endorses all basic principles of safe motorcycle operation as set forth by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted always, but I have one minimal exception. Sometimes I'll jump on and take a quick spin around the neighborhood without it just to feel the wind in my hair. I know I shouldn't, but it's just one occasional indulgence. But if I'm going anywhere at all, even a mile or so to a close store or gas station I always gear up with my full face modular flip-up and my leather or armored mesh jacket. Yes, even in typical Houston summer weather. I'd rather be hot, sweaty, and a little uncomfortable then have a smashed face, or MUCH worse!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've watched the pavement go by in my first down just off my driveway. I was a newby then. IN taking CO state training course WITH my license, my instructor said she only rode without one when it was just to hot to be safe. I have to agree with that; such is my only exception. Full face, always.

Riding in WY with shield 1/3 rd up on my full face, I hit a bug with my face, brusshed him off, then decided I'd better pull over and double check to see if he was not inside somewhere. He was not. When I got off the bike he was on the bike seat, upside down, right where my croch had been, wearing regular pants. He was the biggest, maddest hornet I've ever seen when he then woke up. In bug weather, full face down!

And there's nothing like a full face when you are caught out and have to ride in immense rain and a hail storm, which happened to me once coming back from Estes Park, N St. Varaine, on Hwy 34.

I also ride with full gear until it is above 88, but even then with a jacket and a Tshirt, wet all over. Some times I use the wet all over even in full gear; it does work. Just unzip slowly for the safe cooling affect as AC. I also pour water on my head, cool (not cold) water.

I ride with a hearing aid set for telephone, and my my 86 VR set with the external speaker on for outside sounds, set at 1/3 mid point. WOrks for me. And I am 70 with two artificial knees. I have been riding nwo for 170,000 FULL FACE, and won't think of ding anything else. Otherwise, my two sons who no longer ride would sue me for breach of contract! LOL.

Thanks for the posting. Good one.

JackZ

I have seen too many good guys taken too soon by not wearing one. so for me its

1000% , also Not the Cheep dot helmets either, I say if your heads only worth 10.00 wear a 10.00 helmet. I don't have that many more brain cells to waste. plus I got hit in the mouth about 10 years ago by a queen bee, on the e-way doing about 80 and it cracked my front tooth, so now I ride full face .:missingtooth:

Crashed a GT750 Suzuki when I was 15. If it hadn't have been for my helmet I wouldn't be here. My dad brought the helmet to the hospital, Said "do you know how close you came to not having a head?", then stuck his finger through the paper thin inner liner.So YES I always wear a helmet regardless of weather, distance, etc... a 3/4 helmet.:sign **** happens::thumbsup2:

I spent 40 years as a deputy sheriff (4 on a motor) and lived through 1 knock down and 1 lay down & came out O.K. thanks to a helmet. I worked lots of traffic accidents & I heard all kinds of excuses for not wearing helmets AND restraints. "They are just too uncomfortable, too confining or I can't see" plus countless other "lousy-lame" excuses. I sure got some reactions when I'd respond, How uncomfortable is a lifetime in bed or a wheelchair as a quad or vegie, how confining is a casket or how well could you see with 6' of dirt over your face??????? YES ! THE WIFE I ALWAYS WEAR A GOOD HELMET. And there won't be anyone else on my bike without one. We have a good friend that's a great guy who didn't believe in helmets and just a year ago he went off a curve and now he's still a great guy but 90 percent blitzed. SAD

O.K. I'll get off the box.

Keep the powder dry

So far... 3 motorcycles accidents 1966 honda Scrambler, 1 goldwing 1982 Interstate, 2006 BMW Rt1150, 3 car accidents, hit in the head with a baseball bat (Chicago 1968), Have had building scaffoling hit me in the head, had my jaw hinges broken on the operating table while in the Air Force, which made me a disabled VET after 11 years in the service. Can't wear a gas mask !

Sometimes I just want to stay in bed....but I'm afraid of the ceiling fan

Cb I wear one everytime I ride even through Arkansas dose not require it.

Always! 100% of the time. 6 years ago I crashed ans landed face first on the pavement. Thank God I was wearing my full face helmet. I don't always wear a full face, it's either full face or 3/4.

However, it should still be a CHOICE. not a LAW.

• 2 weeks later...

I usually only wear my full face helmet in cooler or rainy weather. I don't usually wear a seat belt either! It's nobody else's business but my own as to why! If I get busted for not wearing one I'll just pay the extortion fee and do the same next time. If a cop wants to give me a ticket, fine. I don't want to hear any of their lectures either! It's not their job to pass judgment or fill me full of their opinions and/or points view, just to enforce the laws if they feel as though one has been broken.

Not that I'm down on LEO's. I really wouldn't want to be in their shoes with all the big babies and whiners who have never been taught how to take responsibility for their own actions that there are these days. They really don't get the pay and respect they truly diverse! I'm just sick and tired of people thinking everybody else should conform to their ideals.

I bought my first full helmet and went down after hitting a deer at 80 first time I wore it. It looked like a 3/4 helmet after the asphalt got it. i still have a face though. No wise cracks, it's the only one I got no matter how it looks. I still wear a full except when it is really hot and then I feel naked. Maybe I WAS naked???!!! Naaaa :banana:

• 5 weeks later...

Mine saved my life when I was about 30 years old. Emergency Doctor said

lucky you were waring it. 9 out of 10 don't make it.

When I left Calif ( helmet law there) and moved to Iowa. I could not believe

I could ride with-out one. So I tried if for about a week. I felt very uncomfortable

not wearing my helmet. kind of like when I get in the car and I always put it on.

otherwise it feels funny without it. I think it is smart to have it on myself.

There are days When it gets hot and I would love to just take it off. but

that will be the day It might have needed it on. maybe I am getting old ? :D

Jeff

Edited by Cougar

• 1 month later...

I havent hit the road yet on a long trip as I just acquired my 2 motorcycles. But sometimes I have a "feeling" where I just want to feel the wind... But I live in a state where we dont have helmet laws to wear one. Once I get my venture in ready to go shape I will most likely wear one on the open road for many reasons, mainly the states around me require one and sometimes I just feel I should.

• 3 weeks later...

Even though I live in TN which requires a helmet I came from KS which don't. When I lived in KS I never wore one until I got an ultra classic HD which had helmet stereo and intercom, then moved to TN and now required. Which is probably a good thing since in 2006 I got ran over by a car and would not be alive if I didn't have one on. However even though it saved my life if I didn't have to ware one now and since I don't have an intercom I probably not ware one now. I just like the freedom of not having one.

• 2 months later...
Oregon is a helmet state and I wear one all the time. Except maybe moving from the front of my house around to my garage once in a while. When I was younger I watched the pavement slide by my face through the faceshield after I hit an oil slick and went down and that little 1/8" or so saved my skin. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it...

Hey spanky, just wanted you to know that GP was my home for many years and considered to be my home town.

as far as the helmet thing goes, I guess i should buy one for the times when I need one.

ALWAYS!

Here in Ontario we have government paid medical insurance.

So I can understand why we have a law mandating helmets.

I doubt there is a large income from no helmet fines...but the medical costs of caring for all the vegetables, quads or faceless people caused from no helmets would be huge!

I also think smokers should have to pay a health insurance premium...why should the rest of us have to cover their medical costs for their stupidity! (IMHO)...sorry if I offend any smokers....but I'm in the process of watching my Mum die of lung cancer...and its not pretty!0

But that should probably be a different thread

I used to wear full face on the sport bike...now its a 3/4 on my 83 VR

Helmets are mandated here so I choose to wear a flip-up helmet when riding anything on 2 wheels, mostly because of the convenience and the sun visor. At work I ride a Jazz scooter, my flip-up and chaps. Get a few snide remarks about it from the peanut gallery but since its my skin and my brain bucket I get to make my choice. When tooling around in traffic it doesn't take much to take you down even at relatively slow speed.

Approximately half of the cost of cigarettes is tax. If the guvmint used the tax revenue over and above GST, PST or HST for healthcare it would more than cover the extra cost of smoking to the system. People with lung cancer rarely last more than a year so the actual cost to the system is not nearly as bad as with many other unrelated afflictions. The sad thing is the guvmint has the power to rate tobacco products as dangerous goods and significantly control access but they do not seem to want to disrupt their cash cow. Non smokers are getting quite a tax benefit from the taxes charged to smokers so they should really be quite happy about the current situation. Excepting, of course if a loved one is succumbing to their addiction aided and abetted by the crass greed of guvmints.

This could be another thread but what's the point... really... it is what it is and will never change.