IGNORED

Tell The Truth- Do You Always Wear A Helmet?

Yama Mama

Do you always wear a helmet?  

782 members have voted

1. 1. Do you always wear a helmet?

• I always wear a helmet when I ride.
    • I wear my helmet sometimes.
    • I refuse to wear a helmet.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 6 months later...
You should have a 4th category

Do you wear a helmet most of the time. Just my 2 cents:grandpa:

Well I do. OK, almost always I do. OK OK, most of the time I do. I'm not going to wear one today though, that's because I'm up to my donkey in SNOW and its getting deeper.:crying:

• 2 weeks later...

On occasion I have ridden my bike around the driveway without a helmet but I always wear one on the street.

It's probably just as well since last week I was on my scoot, (Honda Jazz) came around a parked car heading into a gated compound, saw the gate 3/4 open but thought it was closing and grabbed for the only brake available. I'm in this 90 degree turn doing about 20 kph, and panicked, I guess. Unfortunately my right hand was holding the swipe card folder so the only brake available was the front one. Pretty much came to a stop before the front wheel locked up and popped out from under us. That would be me and the scoot. Didn't slide but whacked my helmet on the concrete pretty good so it has some nice scars. Hate to think what would have happened if my head had been naked.

This morning I'm off to work and there is a skiff of snow on the ground from last night but the roads were clear so I rode the Virago as usual. Half way into town and within about half a kilometer the conditions changed from our usual ho-hum winter weather to full blown back east style weather. There was about 5 inches of snow on the side of road and packed snow and ice on the road. Anyway, long story short, I dumped the bike at about 40 kph. Kinda like that video of the Vision on here recently except I didn't touch the front brake and I was properly dressed. No damage to me or the helmet this time but the potential was there. I was very stupid to have continued and very lucky I did not get run over by the following traffic.

I suspect most of you won't be doing really dumb things such as I have just related but to me, a helmet is just as important as good tires, perhaps more so.

Reminds me of when I was in Ct and three Hardleys rolled in to the gas station I was about to leave. They had full leathers chaps, boots and jackets on themselves and their wives but none had helmets. I started laughing as I fired up the FZ1, One hollered "What you laughing at boy?" I said "yall look like a bunch of condoms with the ends cutoff." One fired his bike back up as I started to roll. That ole FZ was doing 60 by the time I hit the end of the parking lot.

• 2 weeks later...

I wear mine most of the time. I only go without when I am making a quick run less than a few blocks. Anything more than that gets a helmet. Hit a deer a few years back, totaled a brand new helmet and wondered what my head would have looked like if I had not been wearing it. Shaun

For the members in the states that do not require bike riders to wear helmets, how many always wear a helmet. I usually always wear mine; however Ron only wears his on a trip on the interstate.

I was just curious.

Mama:322:

YES, I DO, ALWAYS, ABSOLUTELY, 100%, ALTHOUGH IT'S NOT REQUIRED IF YOU ARE OVER 21 IN SC.

I ALWAYS WEAR MY HELMET, GLASSES, JACKET, BOOTS, GLOVES, AND EAR PLUGS.

I LOVE MY WIFE AND KIDS MORE THAN I LOVE MYSELF. SO, I DO IT FOR THEM.

ANOTHER REASON I WEAR A HELMET IS THAT I CAN'T STAND WIND IN MY EARS.

WHEN I WAS MUCH YOUNGER, I RODE AROUND MYRTLE BEACH WITHOUT A HELMET. BUT THAT WAS FOOLISH OF ME.

Rusty

Now here is a true story. As I stated once before, most of the time I always wear a helmet period. But---one summer a few years ago I went to a rally and rode with a bunch of guys that never put their's on for a week. We were in a no helmet law state also. Well sir, I went stupid I guess you'd call it and it was a long hot nasty week so I went helmet-less for a few days and followed the flock as they say. Now came the day to depart for home and it was another one of those nasty humid killer days. I knew that in a very short time I'd cross the line into another state that required a helmet so I went back to my normal habit and put the helmet on when I headed out. Man I thought I was gonna die inside that hot nasty helmet! After not ridding with one for a few days in deadly heat it dang near killed me trying to wear it all day. Probably went thought three dew-rags the first day and thought I'd scream a couple of times. In fact I think I did scream a few vile words into the wind before the day was out. Have not done the no helmet since, but I still remember what it was like on that summer week. That's my story and your stickin to it, right? :)

100% of the time. Wife bought me a bike a few years ago, and that was part of the deal.

But I am so used to it now, I believe I would wear it even if she didnt care. Lost a couple of friends in accidents from head trama. Might still be hear if they were wearing one. Better odds you know?

*I* always wear my helmet.. ugh would hate to think I ended up a veggie for the lack of head protection.. My buddy though, he'll take his off when we ride into various US states that don't require helmets by law..

But I make him recite a DNR state on video before we ride on.. I was hoping it would scare him into wearing one.. but nope..

The only time I don't wear a helmet is if I pick up one of my kids on the way home and don't have the spare. The get the helmet (low states the anyone under 18 IIRC has to have one) not to mention that i want them safe.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Hello: If our state did not require helmets I would still wear one anyway. I survived a crash many years ago thanks to a helmet. We witnessed a single bike crash in front of us in Colorado last season, they do not have helmet law, but I was glad the rider was wearing one. He walked away with only minor scrapes. Just my two cents.:322:

• 4 weeks later...

:cool10: I wear a helmet every time I ride. So does my passenger(s), or they stay home.

Shattered two MC helmets, and broke a flight helmet in a crash when I was flying helos in the service. The brain still functions...sometimes. The rest is just chalked off to old age.

:12101::322::12101:

I had two stents put in a year ago. I always had a head scarf on when riding. Then I was introduced to Plavix for my heart. With that drug a tiny cut bleeds a gallon of blood. I started wearing a helmet to alliviate the serious repercussions if I cut my head in an accident. Head wounds are the most serious loss of blood in the body.

I have worn this helmet for a year. I feel like I left my pants at home if I do not have it on. I think, no....I know helmets save lives. I was a cop for 14 years and have seen some bad things happen with both cars and bikes. I still wore the rag on my head when on the bike. Now I do not leave the drive without a helmet.

Just my 2 cents.

:322: