IGNORED

Tell The Truth- Do You Always Wear A Helmet?

Yama Mama

Do you always wear a helmet?  

782 members have voted

1. 1. Do you always wear a helmet?

• I always wear a helmet when I ride.
    • I wear my helmet sometimes.
    • I refuse to wear a helmet.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know, I cussed a lot when DC passed the helmet law way back when. I had an Afro at the time, so spent a lot of time in front of mirrors trying to get it to stand up straight again. Corn rowing solved the problem.

After about 14 major accidents on and off track and a myriad of minor ones, bike and helmet go together like boots and gloves. I actually say prayers for those people without helmets as well as for those in shorts and sandals. It only takes a few minutes to buy a new motorcycle, helmet, gloves and leathers after an accident. Scars and the ache of broken bones last for a lifetime.

You can be the best defensive driver in the world, but one of those times, that cage, animal, oil/gravel on the road is going to get you no matter how good you are. You pay insurance for your bike, a little insurance in the form of protective gear for yourself is a good option too.

Ride hard, but ride with God.

for two main reasons:

#1. I have little kids and I have to set a good example. Cant expect them to wear theirs if Dad doesn't lead the way.

#2. On my first bike when I was just a 16 yr. old pup, I laid it down while wearing a helmet. At that time I wore it haphazardly, maybe 50% of the time. Anyway, I hit some gravel left by a paving crew and was down before I knew it. I was not even aware my head had touched the ground, but when I took off the helmet the entire left side was scraped, all the way through the paint in places. It made quite an impression on me that thats how my face would have looked without the helmet. Ive worn one 100% of the time since

Paul:Venture:

• 1 month later...

I took a header into a curb once and woke up under a car. While I broke 5 ribs and dislocated my shoulder, ruined my leather and my bike was about 50 feet away the only impact to my head was a concussion.

The helmet was wrecked and had a big "L" shaped dent and a ton of road wear.

My own personal experience, on that occasion I was just out for a Sunday ride when I hit a patch of oil.

I ride with people who only wear a baseball cap - and I always hope they don't touch the ground with their head.

I have a full face (which I call my EZ bake oven) and (2) 3/4 - all DOT and no skull caps.

I hardly ever wear a helmet... Only in bad weather and states with helmet laws do I ever wear a helmet and then it's usually a beanie but I own a 1/2 and a Modular... But I support anyone's right to wear what they want... I think the values of a helmet are overrated and can actually cause your head to hit the pavement harder than it normally would if at all because it increases the weight of your head... It also increases your chance of a neck injury because of the added weight and the way a helmet bounces off the pavement... I also believe it increases my chances of having an accident due to limiting vision and hearing and I feel like a bobble head doll...

Since a few brought it up... I also don't ride with God, Angels, Dead Relatives, or any other imaginary friends.. This has served me well for just about 40 years of riding motorcycles.

Did Donnie & Marie have any tunes??? I thought they just sang other peoples songs... I don't remmember but I never was a big fan... I got over 4000 songs and no D&M tunes...

As far as the voices I narrowed it down years ago... It's my voices... I figured it out after a few Homer Simpson momments when I heard the voice and then said "Did I say that, or just think it?"

Hey Shlep good luck with that... But if I was you I'd try to steer my focus towards Marie... The Donnie thing sounds a little Gay.... Not that there's anything wrong with that... Did I type that or just think it?

OK - in Ontario, its law, no choice. I spend winters in Texas and on occasion, I don't wear one.

My question here is - some of the folks will wear one whilst riding the interstates and not around town - isn't it more important around town? If you get hit on the interstate - will a helmet make any difference? Just curious.

In my opinion, it's all a crapshoot. But also in my opinion, you've stacked the odds in your favor by wearing a helmet. And again in my opinion, those odds pretty much go out the window at speeds over 35 MPH. But as I've said before, I'll wear a helmet because I feel it's safer for me. And it makes the voices made because I've lined the inside of my helmet with tin foil and they can't read my thoughts.

Hey Schlep I think I know your problem... That tin foil is acting like an extraterestial antannae and the voices are aliens from planets in other gallaxies... That also explains the Donnie & Marie tunes too... The planets are so many light years away they were listening to bad 70s TV shows... It might help scientists if you can remember what songs they were singing... They could narrow down the light years and distance of the planet that's communicating with you... Good Luck Buddy

Hey Schlep I think I know your problem... That tin foil is acting like an extraterestial antannae and the voices are aliens from planets in other gallaxies... That also explains the Donnie & Marie tunes too... The planets are so many light years away they were listening to bad 70s TV shows... It might help scientists if you can remember what songs they were singing... They could narrow down the light years and distance of the planet that's communicating with you... Good Luck Buddy

That's what the voices would like you to think, but I'm on to them. I know their game. ;)

Oregon is a helmet state and I wear one all the time. Except maybe moving from the front of my house around to my garage once in a while. When I was younger I watched the pavement slide by my face through the faceshield after I hit an oil slick and went down and that little 1/8" or so saved my skin. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it...

• 2 weeks later...

Got to admit that I did not wear a helmet often because my 98 RS had a full windshield, but just got a 2000 RSV and it came with a shorty windshield - which I don't appreciate - and it got me to start wearing my 3/4 with faceshield just for the comfort. Have to say that not wearing one is not a wise choice - which seems to fit my personality.

Edited by Jinksy4

Guest Strakat

I live in Missouri where you have to wear it. But I am just a few miles from Kansas and you don't have to wear it there but I almost always wear mine regardless. It's a novelty helmet unless I need my Mic or on the interstate then it's my DOT helmet.

• 3 months later...

I'm 62 and want to make it to 63 and beyond. It won't always save your life but it won't kill you if you are wearing a DOT helmet. I say don't roll the dice which is my opinion and may not be shared by other members.

Hi everyone, I wear my helmet at night mainly for the bug factor here in Iowa, and also on real windy days. Other wise I spend more time pushing it up every time I hit a bump in the road and I figure that is more of a safety hazard at that point. Take care. JoDee :doh:

• 2 weeks later...

I always wore a helmet when I rode my dirt bikes because I expected to crash, but never wore one on the streets. When the law was passed in California, I couldn't believe it. It took several warnings, and 1 ticket, which I tried to fight...and lost, before I "adjusted" to it.

Never wore it much when I was younger, then with marriage and the kids, started wearing it more. Figured it might help someday, and with all the crazy drivers nowdays I guess its probably a good idea. Once in a while I will go for a ride in the evening and not wear it. I still prefer not to wear one, but the wife complains to much.