IGNORED

2009 VentureRider International Rally

Freebird

OK folks, I decided to start a new thread here instead of filling the contest thread with a lot of new discussion. The contest will be over tomorrow morning and sometime tomorrow evening, I will randomly pick a winner from all of the folks that posted their suggestions. The winner will be determined in a totally random draw and not at all based upon your recommendation for the location.

Now, about that. You have all offered some great suggestions as to where to have the rally and some very strong reasons to have it there. There is one thing though that I read a few times and feel that some clarification is needed. There were at least a couple of posts that said something along the order of "we accommodated the members in the northeast this year so it should be in the west next year". Please understand, we didn't "accommodate" anybody. The reason that this years rally was held in Ontario, Canada was based on a couple of things. It was a beautiful location and a great place for a rally but the MAIN reason was that just after the Ft. Collins rally last year, a group of members from the Kitchener area stepped up and said "WE WILL DO IT". NOBODY else made that offer. They worked hard on it and just did a FANTASTIC job. That is why it was held where it was and I have no regrets about it.

All your posts and suggestions for next years rally are sincerely appreciated. So, the next step is to find a group of people in one of those great areas who are willing to take the lead and make this happen. Folks, it's a LOT of hard work putting these things together. Arranging a central gathering place, host hotels, campgrounds, arranging for a wrap-up dinner, arranging for breakfast each morning for those who want it, contacting vendors for prize donations, designing and having shirts made up, collecting the money for shirts, registrations, etc. If you want to know how much work it is, just talk to Squidley and his team or Reiny and his team.

So, tomorrow I will look at all the suggestions in more depth than I have so far. I saw many that I thought "YEA...that would be a GREAT place". There are enough suggestions there to choose a location for several years. Please don't be upset if your suggestion does not end up being the chosen place for 2009.

My decision will be based upon not only location but WHO steps up and volunteers to do it. If nobody steps up to the place, then I will do it myself but if that ends up being the case then you can pretty much expect it to be held somewhere in Ohio. There are some great locations and great riding in Ohio and if I have to do it, it will simply have to be somewhere that I have time to visit, explore and make arrangements. Most likely somewhere close to Amish country and maybe Mohican State Park. http://www.mohicanstatepark.org/

Just some things for you to think about. I would really like to see it a bit more central. I still think that the Eureka Springs area, The Hub or somewhere in the vicinity of Branson, MO would be a great central location but I can't arrange a rally there from Ohio.

As always, your comments are encouraged.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with you 110% Don. Someone has to step up to the plate, it can't always be the same people who plan these things, because they will get burned out, and we don't want that. Brad and I planned Colorado, and it was a big mistake to plan it so far away from home!!! Thanks to Gibvel for helping find the hall and such, or it would have been a flop.

So.....we really need someone in the back yard of where we pick to plan, or host the 2009 International rally!!! Who wants to be next? It does give you a GREAT feeling of accomplishment when it is all said and done!:banana:

Don,

Sharon and I may be willing to host the International Rally out of our place in Gainesville, Mo. We have 85 acres so there in plenty of camping space. We live about 120 miles north east of Eureaka Springs and about 70 miles east of Branson. My town is small we have only 2 Motels for a combine room total of about 30 rooms. Mountain Home Ar is only 25 miles south of me and they have plenty of Motels down there. We sit between 2 lakes (Norfolk Lake and Bull Shoals Lake)we have canoe and tube rentals with in 15 miles of us where you can go down the river. The Laura Ingalls Wilder home site and Museum is 45 miles away http://www.lauraingallswilder.com/ nice place to visit

For the members that want to bring their kids I have a pond that they are more than welcome to go fishing (catfish, largemouth bass, hybred bluegill and crappie)

and lots of areas to hike.

My only concern is that members would have to ride about a mile on a dirt road to the house. They may not be willing to do so. The road is in very good condition not alot of gravel. Eck and Lowell have been on it.\

I have 2 bbqs and can borrow Gunnys next door so we can do some bbqing if they want. I will need to check with the resturants in town to see what the seating compacity is to hold the wrap up dinner and see about setting up some kind of buffet breakfast.

So bring on the comments and lets see what we can do.

John

Nice offer John!

It would be a great place by the sounds of things.

I have stayed out of the voting or anything. I just wait and see where the next one is and if we can make it we will be there.

The only thing that really stops us is the date. If its too early...June...we can't be at any ralley as we have kids in school and and will have an exchange student to pack off home.

The dirt road is not a concern to me....but what happens to that road if it rains.....me and wet dirt roads dont get along very well as I tend to crash on em!

The distance is a little closer than Kitchener which is nice too. We had bad weather coming home and it made for a very long 1400+ mile drive home!

We are waiting in eager anticipation as to were we are heading next year! I need some more southern states to put on my map!

Sarge,

the road is hard packed so when wet it isnt bad at all. They usually wait for a 3 or 4 day rain to even try to grade it its so hard. Wet or dry i ride in second gear at about 25 miles a hour and have no probs.

John

Don has mentioned it and so have I, someone has to step up to the plate. That being said, it is not like trying to sink a battleship as it may seem. There are quite a few of us that have experience in hosting a rally and there is lots of experience to draw off from. I can only say this for me, but I will be willing to assist whomever decides to step up and host one. I can handle the t shirt order if we decide to do that or hall rentals if thats the case.

I know there are many folks willing to help, all that is needed is to ask for it and you would be surprised how many folks will be there.

Sounds perfect then!

Can the kids swim in the pond or do they need to watch for nasty critters? Serious question as I am out of touch as too what kind of nasty things may live there.....bad snakes, gators.......

Well thats a good question. I have never swam in it and dont know anyone that has. Now I do know that my son who is 33 did fall in:rotfl: but it was winter so he moved about has fast as I ever saw him getting out :rotf::rotf:. Now we do have cooperhead snakes here but I have only seen 2 in the 6 yrs I have lived here and they were real small

now if the kids want to swim only thing I ask is that a parent be down there and that they wear a pair of water shoes or old tennis shoes cause I have no Idea what could be on the bottom of the pond

John

Folks, I am not trying to keep anybody hanging about the location of next years rally, it's just that the decision has not been made yet.

Dooder, your offer is much appreciated. I like that area but am not sure about actually doing it on your property due to the lack of local hotels and etc. I do think though that you are close enough to the Mountain Home area that we might consider that. I am still also considering the Eureka Springs area. Either way, if you wish to get involved and help out then that would be much appreciated.

I plan to make a decision on this very soon and thank you all for your patience.

I'll tell you all the truth, the more I thought about it the more I have decided that I want to do this in Ohio. There is some great riding here and some interesting places to visit. BUT...I don't want to do it for 2009 because it is so far to the North East and I want it more Central for '09. I may well do it in Ohio in 2010 though.

Well, I been to Ohio several times, and I got to say those roads, surface wise, are about the WORST in the nation - even worse than Louisiana! But that won't stop me from coming back at the right time - just thought I'd whine a little!

Goose

I certainly agree with you about the roads. I get mad all the time from all the pot holes and etc. BUT...there ARE some good ones if you know where to find them. I promise you that if we do a rally here, I will find some great roads for us to ride.

uh...not saying you won't ride of some bad ones getting to the rally location though. :whistling:

OK folks...there were a LOT of great suggestions and I'm sure that we'll use many of them in future years but for the VentureRider International Rally 2009, the location will be SOMEWHERE in Northern Arkansas. The exact location will be determined over the next few days but it will be in the Mountain Home or Marble Falls area.

I am even more pleased to announce that WPREDOCK has kindly agreed to head up the planning for the rally. Bill will start putting together a planning committee to help him with all the work that must be done between now and then.

We are also looking at possibly moving it to a later time in the year. July can be pretty hot in Arkansas. Bill has suggested holding it in August but we have to be careful with the dates due to school starting in many parts of the USA and Canada. So when do the kids, teachers, etc. start back to school in your areas? That will help us decide upon a date.

BUT...there ARE some good ones if you know where to find them. I promise you that if we do a rally here, I will find some great roads for us to ride.

NOt nice promising then making us wait two yrs.

Brad

So when do the kids, teachers, etc. start back to school in your areas? That will help us decide upon a date.

DAY After Labour day for the kids but I thought the teachers go back a week earlier or at least a couple days before.

Brad

I certainly agree with you about the roads. I get mad all the time from all the pot holes and etc. BUT...there ARE some good ones if you know where to find them. I promise you that if we do a rally here, I will find some great roads for us to ride.

uh...not saying you won't ride of some bad ones getting to the rally location though. :whistling:

Thats whats so nice about Canada SNOW fills lots of pot holes :missingtooth:

i am most honored that i was given the opportunity to head up next years rally. i will be contacting some of you tomorrow to start creating a commitee. i think this will be a very big meet do to the fact that it is centrally located and will give more people the opportunity to be apart of some of the most scenic country and best riding in the usa. i am very very excited about this and can't wait to get started. don has graciously offered his help i may have to ask some of the moderators for suggestions. since this is our group meet, i will be asking everyone for ideas over the next year. the first will be setting a date. thanks again don. bill :clap2::clap2::clap2::2133:

Bill,

I want to thank you for stepping up to the plate, I can only speak for me, but I appreciate the trek your about to go on. I'll also throw my hat in and if you need advise or someone to handle whatever you desire with the rally. I'm excited that we have an area to look into planning to go.....come on '09 :thumbsup2:

We are also looking at possibly moving it to a later time in the year. July can be pretty hot in Arkansas. Bill has suggested holding it in August but we have to be careful with the dates due to school starting in many parts of the USA and Canada. So when do the kids, teachers, etc. start back to school in your areas? That will help us decide upon a date.

I like the sound of this. I just maybe able to attend one of these.:thumbsup2: I would think that the first or second week in august wouldn't interfere with school.:whistling: