IGNORED

Flying to Michigan for bike

kbran

I will be flying to Squidly's on Aug 6 to pick up his 86 Venture I just purchased. Will be rideing it back to Louisiana. I am 54 and have never flown on a commercial airline so I have questions. First has anyone here done this and how did you carry your helmet????

I was trying to avoid checking in baggage and thought I would just bring a carryon bag and stuff the helmet, clothes and needed items in, then the bag would fit in the trunk for the retun trip. Problem is I can't determine on their web site if a helmet is allowed on carryon. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated and advice on what to make sure and bring. Also any advice on checking in etc., will be changeing flights in Atlanta Ga.

Thanks

The helmet should be no problem as a carry on. I like to wear slip on shoes when I fly because they are easier to get on and off when you go through security. Try to not carry a ton of stuff in your pockets so getting through security will go faster.

Congratulations on your bike purchase!

Guest JGorom

Your helmet will be no problem...wife and I flew to Vegas with helmets in tow. As long as you don't pack a parachute the security guards will not have a problem with the helmet.

.....As long as you don't pack a parachute the security guards will not have a problem with the helmet.

Just for fun, half way through the flight you could always get your helmet out and put it on....... just to see what happens.

Have fun!

:sign20:

Are you stopping by Asheville on your way back south?

Just for fun, half way through the flight you could always get your helmet out and put it on....... just to see what happens.

Have fun!

Do that and I pretty much guarantee the US Martials will have a special greeting room waiting for you when you land, which will be the closest airport. I'm sure youy won't like the nice man that gives you a very thorough body search...:stirthepot:

Make your trip as easy on you as you can. As you go through security

Drivers lic and passport, Slip on shoes (no metal in them),wear socks, No belt or one

with no metal clasps, coin purse ( makes it easy and fast) I put keys

and coins in it and can grab and go.

If you smoke bring zippo or matches.

I have brought my helmet in my carry on bag and pack clothes around it

In your shaving bag travel containers of shampoo, toothpaste, cologne,

go in a plastic bag. I usually don't bring any because I can get the stuff

at the first hotel I stay at and usually at no cost as complementary.

Targets are usually around any corner and I can get what I need there.

Makes traveling light and a little easier. Enjoy the trip be careful on the

way back and Pinch SQUIDLY'S behind :rotf:and give LONNA a GREAT BIG HUG

for me................................Ron

:bighug:

dont feel bad kenny......I flew for the first time last september.:hurts:

Like mentioned make sure all your toiletries are in zip lock bags.....they say no lighters ( for those cigs i know u smoke) but i went thru with one :innocent: I dont think u need a passport, just a picture id as in DL

you have to empty pockets, take off shoes and have your carry on bag ran thru xray and checked.

generally they allow 2 small bags carry on, so you should be able to carry everything u would need, being a guy :stirthepot:

im gonna have to talk to that beth.letting you buy a first gen.......whats wrong with her????:think:

:rasberry:

I said passport and should of said boarding pass or ticket.

Can't put anything past you guys.

Squidley I figured a pinch for luck.

Besides your sexy:rotf::rotf::rotfl:

I am glad Squidley picked a 2nd GEN

there smiles are wider:stirthepot: then when they rode the 1st GEN .................Ron

You might want to call the airline since most are now charging for stuff that used to be free. The idea of shipping your helmet and other riding apparel up to Squids via priority mail or UPS might be a good idea. You can send it well in advance and Squid can let you know when it arrives. This way you just breeze through the airport. Especially going through Atlanta...what a PIA that place is.

Airlines are getting to be a pain. Lighters of any kind are not allowed but they do not always find them if they are buried in the suitcase. Most airlines will give each passenger a small zip lock bag that you have to keep your deoderants, shaving cream etc... in. In Canada each item is limited to 100 mililiters (ml) for liquids (eg aftershave). I belive this is about 3.5 oz. Basically travel size.

I always bring a light jacket and put your smokes, change keys, etc.. Take it off and send it through xray machine in a plastic bucket.

Carry on baggage is limited in size has to fit in a small area and if you check there website it will tell you how large this can be.

Enjoy the trip

Brad

Kenny,

Liquids must be in a container no larger than 3.5 ounces each, and all containers must fit in a 1 qt see-through bag, like a zip-lock. There is a section in Wal-Mart that has a variety of items in the small travel size, as well as the "legal" sized zip-lock bags allowed by the TSA (the tansportation security folks). You will take your zip-lock bag of liquids our of your carry-on and place them in a tray to go through the x-ray. Remove all metal items and place them in a tray to go through the x-ray also. Don't forget your watch. Most places also require you to remove your shoes and place them in a tray as well. Be sure to get at the airport at least an hour and a half before your flight leaves. They usually start boarding around 30 minutes before, and you could spen up to 45 minutes getting through security. Don't forget to add some time to park, and take the shuttle to the terminal (not a good word to use when taking a flight) unless you are being dropped off.

Having said that, have a nice flight.

Edited by Vance

Last May I flew from Winnipeg, Manitoba to Atlanta, Ga. Took my helmet and riding jacket, couple changes of "shorts" and socks. All went into the various airplanes I rode in with no issues.

But, a quick phone call might clear up anything. We flew to Vegas this spring and there is nothing new....get rid of anything that remotely resembles a weapon or pointy. Any liquids....better off just not taking them.

Anything that fits in the overhead can be brought aboard. Helmets fit...usually...or under the seat.

As much of a PITA it is untying your shoes I would not recommend wearing slip ons.

Heaven forbid but if you ever are in a situation where you must get out of the aircraft

in a hurry you will want your shoes securely attached to your feet. Slips on will fly off

your feet in the event of a "sudden stop" tie ons will normally stay on your feet. Another

good idea is ti wear cotton or wool, do not wear any thing with any of the "lons" i.e. nylon.

During takeoff and landing fully extend your legs straight out in front of you. Most sudden stop injuries are from the legs being thrown forward into the seat in front of you causing lower leg injuries, you will want those legs if you need to get out quick.

When you ride you wear a helmet for safety. Don't drop your guard when it comes to safety just because your on an aircraft. Watch the safety demo, read the evacuation card, count the seats to the nearest exit (both in front of and behind you in case you need to feel your way out).

Believe me being aware and ready can save your but. Been there, done that.

When they ask you about seating or even if they dont, request an exit seat, they hold those for able body males to help in case of emergency, plus you get the added benefit of extra legroom in front of you...........thats really nice when the guy in front of you reclines his seat for the entire flight.............:doh:

Have a great flight, you will enjoy it Im sure, and have a safe and fun ride back, I envy you, two of the best ways to travel and no work involved in either.............:banana::banana:

As much of a PITA it is untying your shoes I would not recommend wearing slip ons.

Heaven forbid but if you ever are in a situation where you must get out of the aircraft

in a hurry you will want your shoes securely attached to your feet. Slips on will fly off

your feet in the event of a "sudden stop" tie ons will normally stay on your feet. Another

good idea is ti wear cotton or wool, do not wear any thing with any of the "lons" i.e. nylon.

During takeoff and landing fully extend your legs straight out in front of you. Most sudden stop injuries are from the legs being thrown forward into the seat in front of you causing lower leg injuries, you will want those legs if you need to get out quick.

When you ride you wear a helmet for safety. Don't drop your guard when it comes to safety just because your on an aircraft. Watch the safety demo, read the evacuation card, count the seats to the nearest exit (both in front of and behind you in case you need to feel your way out).

Believe me being aware and ready can save your but. Been there, done that.

I will be flying to Squidly's on Aug 6 to pick up his 86 Venture I just purchased. Will be rideing it back to Louisiana. I am 54 and have never flown on a commercial airline so I have questions. First has anyone here done this and how did you carry your helmet????

I was trying to avoid checking in baggage and thought I would just bring a carryon bag and stuff the helmet, clothes and needed items in, then the bag would fit in the trunk for the retun trip. Problem is I can't determine on their web site if a helmet is allowed on carryon. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated and advice on what to make sure and bring. Also any advice on checking in etc., will be changeing flights in Atlanta Ga.

Thanks

Can't tell you much about flying other than I hate it and haven't flown since well before 9/11. What I do know is if you come through Springfield IL or Bloomington, IL you better call !!:no-no-no:

Kenny,

I would suggest putting your helmet in your carry on bag also. Small sample bottles of toiletries, and they did take 2 of my lighters, so just get some matches for in between flights, and I will give you a lighter when I pick you up. If you wear your boots, be ready to take them off (they are checking fir knives and such in the soles). I have been flying for years, and never really had a problem!

PM me your flight info so I know when you come in to pick you up!

Also ....what would you like me to make for dinner? Ribs, spigetti, lasagna? What ever you want, I will make for you! Maybe even top it off with a cheesecake of your choice!? Wish Beth were coming with you, but give her a big:bighug:

Kenny what accommodations have you made regarding getting from the airport to Squid's place? I'm just 3 miles from the airport so could pick ya up easily enough. Even take you to Brad & Lonna's too.

Pm me with you're arrival info and we'll take it from there.

Larry

Kenny what accommodations have you made regarding getting from the airport to Squid's place? I'm just 3 miles from the airport so could pick ya up easily enough. Even take you to Brad & Lonna's too.

Pm me with you're arrival info and we'll take it from there.

Larry

Thanks for the offer Larry. I think Lonna is planning on picking me up but whatever is easier is fine with me.

Have fun!

We wanted to go to Asheville but it didn't happen. That is a good idea thou, may make it happen. Anyone got a spare bunk for a night??

im gonna have to talk to that beth.letting you buy a first gen.......whats wrong with her????:think:

:rasberry:

Cindy, Beth made me do it:confused24:. Really she did:whistling:. Her and Lonna were working out details on a pruchase before I even new Brad was selling.

Can't tell you much about flying other than I hate it and haven't flown since well before 9/11. What I do know is if you come through Springfield IL or Bloomington, IL you better call !!:no-no-no:

Jay, if I could make it that way you bet I would call you. Wish I could.

Thanks for all the info guys. Much appreciated.