IGNORED

Glad I didn't tow the bike to any of the events this year.

uncledj

We typically prefer to tow the bike to any events, but didn't attend any this year.      We usually tow with the Expedition.    

As it turns out, I bought a pair of used, loaded rear tires for my old (ancient) Ford backhoe.   I drove up to Cleveland for them, and loaded them on the trailer and headed home.   I was about to turn onto the freeway on ramp, but heard a "creak" I didn't understand, so I went to the gas station I saw just up the road to take a last look to be sure everything was ok, and as I turned into the station, the trailer hitch let go.   Not something I'd expected.   Had to have Lisa drive the pickup up (2hrs) so I could tow the trailer home.   I ripped the hitch completely off and headed home.   I climbed around under there, finding that the frame is solid, but that cheesy hitch (factory) had completely rusted through.   Musta been made in China.   I tried a few junkyards, but found that this is a common problem and replacements are really hard to find, 'cause they're all badly rusted.   The aftermarket hitch manufacturers don't build them as "This vehicle comes with a factory hitch"   Ford considers it part of the frame.   

SO....I had a piece of heavy channel laying around that looked like it would make a pretty good hitch, so that's what I did.    I'll guarantee it's stronger than the factory one ever was.

20231006_123541_resized.jpg

20231009_111248_resized.jpg

20231009_111254_resized.jpg

20231028_101456_resized.jpg

20231028_112732_resized.jpg

20231028_172119_resized.jpg

20231028_172144_resized.jpg

20231029_155704_resized.jpg

• Like 3

Great Job John! Sadly, your new hitch might be the only thing American made on that truck! Both Jean and I wish you many "Miles of Smiles" with your new hitch! It's a GOOD thing that you stopped to check out that noise! Great Catch and repair John.

Earl.

• 1 month later...

On 1/11/2024 at 10:06 AM, frankd said:

Jay

I just came across this topic.     Did this truck come down with you from Michigan?      

Frank

You've piqued my curiosity.   Why do you ask?

OOOPS.....      I looked and saw that Ragtop had commented and in my mind I'd thought that it was he that started the topic.       He used to live near Detroit and MIchigan uses tons of salt on their roads.    Salt rots cars and trucks, and thinking the rotted hitch was his I made my comment.      Sorry about that.     I see you live in Ohio.      Do you guys get salted bad?    We used to live about 50 miles SW of Chicago and Illinois uses a lot of salt so our cars fell apart quickly but MIchigan was far worse.      

Fran k