IGNORED

Four different 15-40 diesel oils now available

Guest Captain Video

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive ran Chevron Delo 400, Mobil Delvac 1500, and Rotella T.

Im running Rotella T right now because I picked up a 5 gallon bucket for free but they were all equally good oils.

I would probably run Rotella T because it can be bought damn near anywhere in case you ever had to top off.

I've done three oil changes on my RSV using Valvoline 10W40 moto oil. After reading several threads that talked about Oil in general, Rotella 20W50 or 15W40 (not sure what Advance Auto Carry) has always caught my attention. It sure it cheaper than Valvoline 10W40 moto oil and I can get it from SAMs club or Advance Auto. At this point in time, I am 50/50 in my decision whether to try out Rotella on my next oil change w/c may come by the end of August '09.

So, who is using Rotella dino oil and what weight on their 2nd gen Venture? How many miles so far...(please convince me that it is ok to use Rotella Dino oil):hihi:

Guest HdHtr

I've used Shell Rotella 15-40 since Castol stopped making 20-40 W. Excellent lubrication I guess. 181,000 on the bike, about 100,000 using the Shell. Dunno what works for others, just what it has done in mine.

I use Rotella 15-40. To me 10-40 is to thin for the transmission and 20-50 is to thick for a water cooled engine (my fuel mileage went down and drained it out). Like most RSTD owners, I've never heard or even felt the engine fan come on. I read an article years ago, which stated that diesel engine oil was supposedly very good for a motorcycle engine. I'm leary of the light weight synthetic Rotella due to the transmission gears breaking it down.

I have worked for companies that used the Mobil Delvac oil in their deisel engines with good results. I really believe the most important thing is a regular maintainance program regardless of which oil you use.

Now that the "Black Beast" is out of warranty I am going to switch to deisel oil. Probably Rotella because it is readily available in this area.

Guest seuadr

diesel motor oil has alot more zinc in it compared to car oil, the zinc helps prevent wear and tear on impact parts.

i've used rotella for years and loved it as well, never had a problem.

We recently ran the JASO MA friction test on Rotella T with Triple Protection 15W-40, Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 (CI-4) and our soon to be introduced (within the next 2 months) Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 CJ-4.

All three oils passed the wet clutch friction test. Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 (CI-4) has more than 1.2% ash (JASO MA spec limit) so it can not be classified as JASO MA. However, Rotella T with Triple Protection 15W-40 and our soon to be introduced Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 CJ-4 do meet JASO MA."

If you have any additional questions please call us at 800-231-6950.

Thank you for your interest in Shell products."

Richard Moore

Staff Engineer

Shell Global Solutions (US) Inc.

JASO MA rated oils are reccomended and approved for use on motorcycles with a wet clutch. JASO MA is a standard that was agreed upon by all the major japaneese motorcycle manufactures.

if it is good enough for them, it's good enough for me!

:group cheers:

• 7 years later...

Yo, I have ran just about all the 15-40s I could find. The bike shifts abit smoother with the Rotela in it. Right now I think its got Valvoline in it. Was

at NAPA to pickup oil filters and saw it on the shelf "onsale" So, yeah any of them is fine.

Yo, I have ran just about all the 15-40s I could find. The bike shifts abit smoother with the Rotela in it. Right now I think its got Valvoline in it. Was

at NAPA to pickup oil filters and saw it on the shelf "onsale" So, yeah any of them is fine.

Ya know... those folks said that stuff 8 years ago this thread is so old. I don't run diesel oil in my stuff anymore, I use spaceship oil now....

are your kidding ? Diesel Oil in a Bike ?? ??

I think this Questions belongs at Jokes and Humor :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

No he's not.... That is exactly what Shell Rotella T6 (synthetic) is & many bikes are running on it very successfully!

It's intended spec is for heavy equipment & diesel service. (& it's a damn site cheaper than most "motorcycle specific" oils.

As long as the oil is certified to meet Japanese spec JASO-MA/ MA2 (T6 is) it's fine for bikes. What you do not want are energy saving friction modifiers added to the oil. Personally I use T6 5W-40

Oooops! just seen how old this thread is... sorry.

No he's not.... That is exactly what Shell Rotella T6 (synthetic) is & many bikes are running on it very successfully!
Rotella T 15W-40 (Dino) is also being successfully used in many bikes. It appears Shell has revamped the Rotella lineup and it looks like what used to be known as Rotella T is now Rotella T4.

Diesels are dirty and require heavy duty cleaning properties. They also are high torque so more pressure on moving parts. Perfect specs for motorcycles and at a really good price.

Wow, thread is ten years and one day old. :doh:

I was married and working and not enjoying my job. :buttkick:

I am now divorced, retired and have a girl friend. Yep, life is good. :cool10:

Randy

Crazy how time goes by and things change but its a thread I wished I would have known about before I spent 7 dollars a quart on oil for the bike

• 2 weeks later...
Crazy how time goes by and things change but its a thread I wished I would have known about before I spent 7 dollars a quart on oil for the bike
Boy oh boy Snyper, this has all the Hallmarks of a great Canadian whine - a super sob story with no substantive substance. :canada:

This is not the only thread where the merits of Rotella have been described. Along with several others, I know that I have mentioned it on more than one occasion in more than one thread during the time you have been on this board. It's a well entrenched part of the "Great Oil Debate". :starz: :buttkick: :rotfl:

Boy oh boy Snyper, this has all the Hallmarks of a great Canadian whine - a super sob story with no substantive substance. :canada:

This is not the only thread where the merits of Rotella have been described. Along with several others, I know that I have mentioned it on more than one occasion in more than one thread during the time you have been on this board. It's a well entrenched part of the "Great Oil Debate". :starz: :buttkick: :rotfl:

:sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that: :sign **** happens::sign **** happens::sign **** happens::sign **** happens::sign **** happens:

Yeah yeah well..... I honest to god was looking for all these other oils for motorcycles..... never did find it... I don't recall anyone stating it was oil for Semi's....

• 2 weeks later...
Wow, thread is ten years and one day old. :doh:

I was married and working and not enjoying my job. :buttkick:

I am now divorced, retired and have a girl friend. Yep, life is good. :cool10:

Randy

It's amazing how much of an upgrade to life a divorce can be.

I just picked up the Shell Rotella T4 15-40. Doesnt say diesel oil on the front but if you read the back it's there. JACO MA/2 and it's ~$13/us gal. I always pick up enough for the Vmax, Venture and all the small engines. It is really tough to beat for the price and it works great.

• 1 month later...

I'm wondering if ALL Rotella oils are now JASO certified.

I was in a local Canadian Tire & I noticed they had plain old "Rotella T" (ie. not T4 or T6) & on the drum it indicated JASO certified.

Don't remember the exact price but it was a 5 gallon drum for around $65 Cad

I'm wondering if ALL Rotella oils are now JASO certified.

I was in a local Canadian Tire & I noticed they had plain old "Rotella T" (ie. not T4 or T6) & on the drum it indicated JASO certified.

Don't remember the exact price but it was a 5 gallon drum for around $65 Cad

It seems apparent, to me at least, that Rotella has changed the designation to align with the newer synthetic designations. For years I had been buying Rotella T which was straight dino oil. Then they came out with synthetic versions such as T6. Recently I noticed Rotella T was now being labeled Rotella T4.

If you find Rotella T on the shelf it is likely old stock and will do perfectly for use in your Venture.

I just got a couple bottles of 15-40 T4, which I thought superseded the T. I'm not aware of any difference outside of cloudy marketing terminology. It's a dino oil, or at least lacks any indication to the contrary, including a very low price.

T5 is a synthetic blend and T6 is a full synthetic. So if you do the T5 you will be adding a blend. I have generally not been adding synthetics to any engine or shiftable gearbox that didnt call for it new. I just started using the T4 when I ran out of T, put some in my Vmax last week and ran the snott out of it in the hills, no difference that I can till in shifting or clutch behavior.

:2cents: