IGNORED

Yamaha Part three

slowrollwv

They built what I thought they would build using as much of the shelf pieces they could and adding on new plastic and gadgets. Its economics. I will bet that is even the stratoliner frame with minor modifications and stiffening to accept the extra bags. Will have to ride one to see if they got the balance better than the RSV. I don't think you will see many Goldwing riders switching over to it. I did not hear ABS mentioned either. Maybe its available. A let down for anyone hoping for the V4. Looks like it would fit in there OK.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the looks of the bike but cant get past the heart that is in her not to mention the gas mileage sucks.... very disappointed but Tinker is tap dancing in the drive way may have to take the Ol Gal for a spin to celebrate because she still the best motorcycle out there...

This thing is a tank. It's 2017 and only 34mpg? And it weighs 963lbs? Holy crap!

If I go to a V-twin, belt drive, I will go HD or Indian instead.

Glad my "new to me" '08 RSV only has 6K miles on it so I have plenty of time to decide what to get next.

The new bike looks great but not surprised it's a V-Twin. Sadly, it's not a Venture, the short term marketing bean counters always win out. Stupid Yamaha!!!

Bit of a relief though, if it was a V4 I would have had to buy one which would have meant going into debt.

V twin, belt drive, if I wanted that I would buy and Indian.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Which is what I will be doing. Keep my 99RSV cos there STILL is nothing else like it (and what else would I do with my cassettes?) but I will buy a Indian Chief Vintage over the new (cough - cough) "Venture".

I think Yamaha have made a nice touring bike there but a full dresser Strat isn't what I was hoping for.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I agree. This new bike is not for me. I have been patiently waiting and now that it is here I am not impressed. A crappy belt driven V-Twin instead of the tried and true shaft drive V-4 is not anything to brag about. Just Yamaha knowing what the customer is looking for and building something else. Oh and in case they missed it Everyone has electronics now days. Including Blue Tooth.

Mike

A while back I read an old internet article about the Los Angeles Sheriff's dept test of new potential police bikes. One or two of them were Harleys. One thing that really stuck to my memory was that the specifications provided by Harley for acceptable oil temperature was 410 degrees F. That is a mind numbing temp for oil in my opinion and completely rules out a heavy touring bike with an air cooled engine. How long would one last with Puc running across the desert at 100 mph? He would need new engines about as often as new tires.

Not for me.

Fixed fairing......no thanks

Looks like a ton of Tupperware......no thanks

Front of the bike with the 4 headlights in a row......no thanks

Side of it kind of looks like a Victory Vision.......no thanks

On the plus side:

V-twin......yes thank you...thank you....thank you

Infotainment package.....yes thank you....no need for separate gps and satellite radio

Don't really care about features:

Belt drive versus shaft.....meah....neither here nor there to me

Heated grips and seat....not needed

Parking assist.......REALLY????.......SMH

I will just say this, props to Yamaha for making an effort. It was certainly long over due. The bike is not for everyone, certainly not for me. I prefer the classic styling of a bike like my 07 RSV, Harley and even the Indian.

The new bike reminds me of the Victory Cross Country Tour. I considered that bike as being transgendered. It was not sure if it was a Goldwing trying to be a Harley or a Harley trying to be a Goldwing. And we see how well that worked out for Victory Motorcycles. Now that Yammy has fulfilled the wishes of many but not all, you all can now hope for new models with shaft drive.... the V4........and the cassette deck.

Which is what I will be doing. Keep my 99RSV cos there STILL is nothing else like it (and what else would I do with my cassettes?) but I will buy a Indian Chief Vintage over the new (cough - cough) "Venture".

I think Yamaha have made a nice touring bike there but a full dresser Strat isn't what I was hoping for.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

It looks okay from side and rear, front, well Ill bet it looks much more aggressive than it is. If I wanted a quality Vtwin I too would buy an indian, but I wanted a V4, so no debt for me, the ol' gen 1 it will be. I think the two Yamahas I have now are the last I will own. Im going back to Triumph and BMW. I am dissapointed that Yamaha stirred Venture fans up for (wait for it) yet another Vtwin.

It better have a top speed of more than a buck ten. My gen1 can cross 100 in 3-4th gears and give me 40mpg near its 30th birthday. It took no imagination to crap out another obese twin, way to take it outside the box Yamaha!

Im going to go out of my way to race the first one I see!:rant:

Let me end on a positive or two.

1. I like the dash, color and seat, tail lights are neat and tasteful.

2. Im positive that its going to pull some guys off HD but positively wont get me off my gen1

I can understand why they went to a V-twin, much much cheaper and trying to pick off some Harley sales, not BMW or Honda. But, I cannot understand why they didn't use water cooling. At least Kawasaki added water cooling to the Voyager.

I know air cooled bikes CAN last a long time. I recently talked to a Harley owner who had over 180k miles on his. He did a lot of touring but he said he never rode over 65 mph even out west. I don't want a bike that I have to baby to get it to last.

I can understand why they went to a V-twin, much much cheaper and trying to pick off some Harley sales, not BMW or Honda. But, I cannot understand why they didn't use water cooling. At least Kawasaki added water cooling to the Voyager.

I know air cooled bikes CAN last a long time. I recently talked to a Harley owner who had over 180k miles on his. He did a lot of touring but he said he never rode over 65 mph even out west. I don't want a bike that I have to baby to get it to last.

180K miles on a Harley Vtwin that has never been apart? No valve job? No Nothing? that would be rare. If you went through all the 280 some -odd photos of people with their bikes on Yamaha's Website during the run up for the new Venture, the Vast majority with over 100K were all the V4 Venture or Tour Deluxe owners, after that there were a few Strat V twin owners with over 100K on the bike. It is a durable V twin, but only time will tell if its durable hauling 1000lbs plus around.

So when are they going to be in the dealers?? I will go look at one, and it will be water cooled when I'm finished.... :whistling::backinmyday:

the web page says August, taking pre-orders now for $500 down. However, there are a number of Yamaha road shows where the bike will be viewable, and maybe even demo rides. I'll start another thread to talk about demos of the new vtwin Venture.

https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/motorsports/yamahaevents