IGNORED

Planning a Long Road Trip on my MKII....What do I need to pack and prepare?

VanRiver

Hello Venture Guys and Gals! Need your expert advice....again!

I have ridden motorcycles all my life (got my first z50 when I was 5 years old, and now I'm 43 and have graduated to the best bike in the world...our first Gen Venture's). Can you believe in all those years of riding I have never taken a long multi day road trip before! So time to do it and mark it off the bucket list. I'm planning to ride "Walt" my Black Canadian 1986 Venture Royale with 101,000 km on the clock from Calgary AB Canada :63: to Phoenix Arizona :325: his summer :sun:

It will be a 1,587 mile adventure door to door (one way) according to Google maps anyway...that is 2554 km for us metric Canadians....and roundtrip of over 5,000 Km if old Walt survives and I ride him back home to Calgary, if not then he can stay at our AZ house for awhile and I can fly home instead. I will also be doing this trip Solo, just me and "Walt"......the wife does not have this type of trip on her bucket list, plus would like me out of the house for a few days.

But before I hit the highway, I want to make sure I pack and prepare all the necessities I need for a trip like this on 31 year old motorcycle. I plan on wimping out and staying in hotels along the way rather then camping like some of the many more adventurous members we have here, therefore I don't need to worry about packing that type of camping gear.

I know we have some hardcore million miler riders on the forum so I thought I would get your expert advice and wisdom on what I need to pack for the trip, as well as other suggestions on what I need to prepare for.

So far I have:

1. One pair of semi-clean Underwear

2. Toothbrush

3. Swiss Army Knife with toothpick and tweezers (cork screw is optional as I don't drink)

3. Complete 1986 parts bike towed on a trailer by a spotter vehicle just in case. :banana:

4. Credit Card with a high credit limit so I can buy a new bike when "Walt" catches fire in the heat of a Arizona summer. :scorched:

Seriously though, any feedback and insight is much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

I always pack a little air compressor and a plug kit.. Extra fuses some wire and a toolkit.. I've had good luck with Slime compressors and they make a mini one that stores easily..

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Well out of all honesty, this is something I would do on trips to Iowa or Road trips . I packed a small type tent and emergency cook stove can and a small rack. Obviously I had food too. I would make this kind of trip back in the 90s with a 69 merc monterey, 74 ford ltd, 81 dodge omni, 83 jeep eagle, and a 77 concord there was another which the transmission fell out on the bridge between Il and Ia. Morel of the story here is pack for the unexpected. I had this all in a duffelbag. Only once did I have to use it. Tools the only thing I found my toolset lacking was needle nose players for small pins and cotter pins. If you can find emergency flare with tripod. I bought 2 sets at yard sales that run on double AA batteries. The lights blink. Portable Cb if you don't have one. Altho I would have to wonder about that. I may also suggest a small multimeter or test light. Book of matches. Other then whats been suggested I can not think of anything else.

These Ventures have a really great tool kit included, so if thats complete and function I would throw a couple decent screwdrivers and a multitool into the mix, like a nice Gerber or something. Tire plugs and air comp as mentioned above. At some point I may see if I can tap into the CLASS system to fill a plugged tire. There are some little CO2 cartirdges available to fill tires if you dont have space for a comp.

Drinking water, energy bars, chapstick and a good SPF sun protectant, small first aid kit, gloves and neck gaiter, pocket LED flashlight, small WD40, I like to carry a spare qt of oil for extended high RPM highway pulls. If your camping then the normal stuff there. If you have to ride on into the night it can get REALLY effen cold in some places that are normally triple digits under the sun so dont get caught without some cool weather gear. I've had to ride quite a ways at night when I didnt have my camping gear and couldnt find accommodations. Cell phone and charger, and something to plug the charger into, if the phone roams the battery can drain pretty quickly. I carry a handheld waterproof GPS (Garmin 60csx) because I readily change course if traffic gets rough or I just feel like going another way. I use maps and GPS just enough to avoid cities but I have gotten lost a few times looking for adventure and the backtrack functions have been priceless at times. This will sound stupid but a road flare if you have space and I made up a set of small jumper cables just in case I manage to kill the battery. I'm really OCD so I carry JBweld in a small case with my tire plugs and flashlight.

Your going to have an awesome trip!! That rocks and your going to love it. I have taken trips like this on my Triumph with less luggage space so I'm thrilled to have all the space and wind protection of the Venture for my next tour. Be safe!

This will sound stupid but a road flare

Why would that be stupid, I suggested it too. Never know when you might need them, also I would get a florescent reflective lightweight vest to throw on and those will not take very much room I actually had mine stuffed in my tool bag till I added some tools.

Why would that be stupid, I suggested it too. Never know when you might need them, also I would get a florescent reflective lightweight vest to throw on and those will not take very much room I actually had mine stuffed in my tool bag till I added some tools.

I thought it might sound stupid because in all the years I've been doing this I'm the only one I know that has tossed one into a saddlebag. Those lightweight vests are a great idea, hadnt thought of that. Another use of the road flare is if it fails to stop someone from hitting your bike you can pick it up off the road and walk over to the person that just hit your bike and put it out in their eye. :cool17:

I'm more likely to be on a dark road than a highway with lots of traffic, there have been a couple times back in my HD days where I had wished for a flare.

If you have replaced any screws or bolts with allen head screws or anything thing else, make sure you have the correct size tool it will take to remove it. Dont ask how I know this. Plus everything else that has been mentioned.

Sounds like a fun trip.

Rick F.

Never been to Arizona myself...but I would suggest a cooling vest. They look like a safety vest but soak them in water and wear it. Every two hours, resoak it. It will keep you cool in hot weather.

If you are staying in hotels/motels every night, this is more of a repeated "day trip". Pack the normal stuff and add to it things you find you use regularily for maintenance. Some people go too light with day trip gear, other's take the kitchen sink.

I have a check list which breaks it down to : local day trip; multi-day camping; multi-day hotel;.... Makes it easier confirming I have what I need. This way I don't leave to memory what I found on previous rides that I need.

I don't have my list with me at work today but give you an idea :

Day Trip (considering a good weather day) :

- tools (always a full set of tools, including tire plugs, compressor)

- cleaner for windscreen and cloths

- cell phone

- sun screen (wife insists on having it)

- water bottles

- sun glasses

- snacks

- camera (might include GoPro as well as a good camera)

- baseball cap

- spare key for bike hidden on bike not locked up

Multi-day (with or without Harbor Freight Tag-Along trailer) :

- Day trip stuff plus :

- extra memory/batteries for cameras, charger

- rain gear, thermal and rain liner for coat, extra gloves

- trunk or saddlebag liner for clothes, toiletries

*Note - I have three days of clothes and stop at a laundramat or hotel every three days. Keeps amount of clothes needed to a minimum

If I'm multi-day and camping (with Tag-Along trailer) :

- folding chairs

- camping gear - tent, pillows, sleeping bag, blankets, stove, gas

*Note - camping we would stop at a Walmart or grocery store at lunch, make sandwiches but also pick up "dinner" and breakfast for the next day. Pre-scrambled eggs or pancake mix works great

Edited by XV1100SE

Nina & I rode to Los Osos, CA via the Oregon/CA coast and then back thru Yosemite, Reno, etc on our '87 a few years back. Other than personal things like change of clothes, cold weather gear, rain gear, etc I always pack necessary tools, circuit tester, tire plug kit, extra fuses, etc .... AND ... a small container of brake fluid, a litre of oil, and a small tube of silicon sealant.

Other than that, I've done several long distance trips solo and have always taken a spare helmet just in case some gorgeous babe wants to go for a ride .... :dancefool::Bunny::fingers-crossed-emo

Sounds like a great trip.

Sounds like most if not all things have been covered.

This may or may not have been covered:

I always carry a SPOT. Not only does my wife keep track of me but good for emergency.

Ride the Going to the Sun Road in the US Glacier National Park. Recommended motel is Mountain Pine Motel in East Glacier. It is old, clean, small, and very reasonable.

Take more than one credit card, I suggest 3, and notify them of your trip. Don't carry all in one place.

Take some US cash in addition to your Canadian cash, not all in one place. Not sure how much to advise. When I rode to Hyder, Alaska via the Cassiar Hyw and on to Yellowknife from Dallas, I had $300 Canadian and returned to the US with about $250. I used as credit cards as much as I could. Don't carry all in one place. I put $100 bill in zip lock under the insole of my boot for "deep" emergency.

Sign up for Med Jet and include the motorcycle. I had to use it and was very grateful. Be absolutely positive how your medical insurance will work in the US. Mine was a pain in the a$$ in Canada. They wanted me to pay all the bills then reimburse me. After a 9 month fight Cigna paid the hospital and docs. I should have had Med Jet evacuate me before my surgery. My care in Nova Scotia was excellent just my insurance was the pain.

Carry copies (3 at least) of your driver's license, registration, insurance, emergency numbers, medical information. Put them in different places. Have one set on your person so even if you wallet is stolen you have a copy. Secure your passport in a zip lock or something similar on your person.

Be aware of the distance to the next fuel station. On secondary roads in the west some may be a bit far.

Be prepared for the unexpected.

Have a fantastic trip. You'll enjoy the scenery in that part of the country even if all is by interstate but secondary roads are the best way when time allows. Plus you meet some of the nicest people in our small towns.

4. Credit Card with a high credit limit so I can buy a new bike when "Walt" catches fire in the heat of a Arizona summer. :scorched:

Seriously though, any feedback and insight is much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Wife and I ran NM,AR,CA. a few years back, and ya, it was hhhot.:scorched: If I could add to the long list, our bacon saver was white long sleeve lycra breathable shirts with light full finger gloves and velcro strips holding them together at the wrist. Also piled SPF60 on the face. Anything to avoid the burn. (still managed heat exhaustion 3 times)

Next time we would do XV1100 suggestion using cooling jackets. :cool:

James,

I have the Slime compressor in left side with the tire plug kit. Right side has tool kit with additional stuff like a tiny battery back up, 3/8ths socket set for metric and hex, tire gauge, spare headlight bulb, travel mirror with extension to check oil by myself, rags, flashlight etc..

Both sides carry a water bottle or two. Jacket liner and a half bike cover in right. Rest of space on both sides would be for extra clothes (like work clothes for crawling under bike) ... mostly left side. The bike cover is nice to keep the scoot covered while at hotel.

Tour pack has the light stuff, aspirin, cassettes (I mix my own), gum, flashlight, member list for emergencies that are near my flight path, sun block, small individual pack of Tide clothes detergent, tube of hand cleaner, lightweight orange safety vest, scarf for keeping neck warm on those mountain passes, Froggs Togs.

My main clothes I carry on the pinion seat held down with a medium size bungie netting (about $8) that has hooks for attaching netting to passenger bars. Just make sure your carry bag is water resistant at least. I use a soft sided airline carry on travel bag. Like a gym bag but with pockets. That's my main clothes bag for traveling on planes as well as scoots. Everything is in there I need. At hotel, I take this bag in with me. Everything else stays locked up on bike. I can pack for 5 days using this system. This is what my 2nd gen looks like while on the road.

IMG_20151027_164451_064.jpg

In reality, the only emergency you might run in to is a flat tire. These scoots are pretty reliable. The tire plug kit and slime compressor kit takes you to the nearest city for a new tire. The stator is the only other issue I dread on the road. Not much to do about that but be flexible enough to handle it if it pops up.

As far as traveling...depending upon your itinerary, Utah, Nevada and Arizona can be toasty. If you start each day early, you can cover more ground before the heat gets to much. Seriously. There is a reason work crews start at 5am....it's cool enough to begin the day and then gradually warms up. The hottest part of the day is 4 to 5 pm. You want to be in the pool by 3pm if you can. By gradually warming up, your body adapts to the heat better...allowing you to ride into hotter weather than if you started out at 8am and ran until 5pm. I would not recommend you spend lunch in an airconditioned environment too long as that will make it harder on the old bod when you come back out. Also...as much as I like to fuel up right after I stop...that's not good for bikes. Gas expands. So plan on fueling after lunch break. If you want to carry an extra gallon of gas, it can get strapped on top of the pinion clothes bag. Get a good plastic can, wrap it in a white garbage bag and go. No different up there than having a passenger. Actually won't be any higher than your shoulder.

The cooling vest is a good idea, but I've heard your clothes get wet. Guess that's fine too! Highway pegs are a must on a 1st gen. Legs are to protected behind the fairing. Make sure your "heater" is working as well...that's what I call those little vanes covering the rear cylinder. They are needed as they keep a lot of heat off your boots when closed. You can ride all day with them closed, just remember to open them when you stop so they help cool the motor as well as don't melt!

Last, don't over plan it. Ask me how I know! My biggest mistake when I started traveling with the sailboat going across country. Didn't need 3/4 of what I had. And if I needed something, I found out I didn't have that on my list so WalMart became my friend! This is a day trip times X number of days! And... don't make any serious changes to the bike just before you go. Get that done ahead of time. So you can ride around home for a while just in case there is an issue with the new tires, brakes, etc..

Wish I could make the trip with you...but wrong direction for me!!

If you need help with route, holler. We can talk next time we meet for lunch shortly ?

david

Edited by videoarizona
add stuffffff

James,

I have the Slime compressor in left side with the tire plug kit. Right side has tool kit with additional stuff like a tiny battery back up, 3/8ths socket set for metric and hex, tire gauge, spare headlight bulb, travel mirror with extension to check oil by myself, rags, flashlight etc..

Both sides carry a water bottle or two. Jacket liner and a half bike cover in right. Rest of space on both sides would be for extra clothes (like work clothes for crawling under bike) ... mostly left side. The bike cover is nice to keep the scoot covered while at hotel.

Tour pack has the light stuff, aspirin, cassettes (I mix my own), gum, flashlight, member list for emergencies that are near my flight path, sun block, small individual pack of Tide clothes detergent, tube of hand cleaner, lightweight orange safety vest, scarf for keeping neck warm on those mountain passes, Froggs Togs.

My main clothes I carry on the pinion seat held down with a medium size bungie netting (about $8) that has hooks for attaching netting to passenger bars. Just make sure your carry bag is water resistant at least. I use a soft sided airline carry on travel bag. Like a gym bag but with pockets. That's my main clothes bag for traveling on planes as well as scoots. Everything is in there I need. At hotel, I take this bag in with me. Everything else stays locked up on bike. I can pack for 5 days using this system. This is what my 2nd gen looks like while on the road.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=108969

In reality, the only emergency you might run in to is a flat tire. These scoots are pretty reliable. The tire plug kit and slime compressor kit takes you to the nearest city for a new tire. The stator is the only other issue I dread on the road. Not much to do about that but be flexible enough to handle it if it pops up.

As far as traveling...depending upon your itinerary, Utah, Nevada and Arizona can be toasty. If you start each day early, you can cover more ground before the heat gets to much. Seriously. There is a reason work crews start at 5am....it's cool enough to begin the day and then gradually warms up. The hottest part of the day is 4 to 5 pm. You want to be in the pool by 3pm if you can. By gradually warming up, your body adapts to the heat better...allowing you to ride into hotter weather than if you started out at 8am and ran until 5pm. I would not recommend you spend lunch in an airconditioned environment too long as that will make it harder on the old bod when you come back out. Also...as much as I like to fuel up right after I stop...that's not good for bikes. Gas expands. So plan on fueling after lunch break. If you want to carry an extra gallon of gas, it can get strapped on top of the pinion clothes bag. Get a good plastic can, wrap it in a white garbage bag and go. No different up there than having a passenger. Actually won't be any higher than your shoulder.

The cooling vest is a good idea, but I've heard your clothes get wet. Guess that's fine too! Highway pegs are a must on a 1st gen. Legs are to protected behind the fairing. Make sure your "heater" is working as well...that's what I call those little vanes covering the rear cylinder. They are needed as they keep a lot of heat off your boots when closed. You can ride all day with them closed, just remember to open them when you stop so they help cool the motor as well as don't melt!

Last, don't over plan it. Ask me how I know! My biggest mistake when I started traveling with the sailboat going across country. Didn't need 3/4 of what I had. And if I needed something, I found out I didn't have that on my list so WalMart became my friend! This is a day trip times X number of days! And... don't make any serious changes to the bike just before you go. Get that done ahead of time. So you can ride around home for a while just in case there is an issue with the new tires, brakes, etc..

If you need help with route, holler. We can talk next time we meet for lunch shortly ?

david

VideoAZ,

I gotta ask the obvious question that is everybody's mind: Why the heck do you carry that big huge tire when you travel, and how in the world did you mount it?

Big Lenny

Wife and I ran NM,AR,CA. a few years back, and ya, it was hhhot.:scorched: If I could add to the long list, our bacon saver was white long sleeve lycra breathable shirts with light full finger gloves and velcro strips holding them together at the wrist. Also piled SPF60 on the face. Anything to avoid the burn. (still managed heat exhaustion 3 times)

Next time we would do XV1100 suggestion using cooling jackets. :cool:

Hey Max,

When you say you ran NM, AR, and CA, do you mean Arizona, or Arkansas? Just a note, us folks who live in Arkansas (AR), and the folks that live in Arizona (AZ), on a consistent basis have to deal with our mail being routed to the wrong state because folks get the AR, AZ wrong. LOL. It kinda drives us nuts. And, in Arkansas, we have the added frustration that our mail gets mixed up with peoples mail in Alaska (AK). LOL!

VideoAZ,

I gotta ask the obvious question that is everybody's mind: Why the heck do you carry that big huge tire when you travel, and how in the world did you mount it?

Big Lenny

The bigger they are, the harder they fall...uh deflate.

Why? Hmmm. Don't really know. How? Very, very large spoons!

Grins!

Guest divey

Unless you're different than most of us Northerners, the heat down south will kill you IMHO! Thanks to Nancy @Luvdaleather, she persuaded @Dale124 and I to wear cooling vests on our journey through Nevada and Utah a couple summers ago. They are a simple, no-nonsense thing to pack and wear and you can "recharge" them anyplace that has water, whether it's a sink in McDonalds or a stream. Ours were made by Techniche and were the Hyperkewl style but likely other brands work similar. Techniche is hard to find in Canada but you can order them online from the US. I "wouldn't leave home without it!" Doug

James,

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=108969

david

Good stuff

Is the picture with the tire along US 191 in AZ near the open pit mine?

Leland,

I totally agree with you on the Microstart Battery. I carry one when we ride. That dang thing is amazing! I jump started my truck with it one time just to see if it would perform as advertised. Did exactly what they claimed it would do. When we're travelling long distance on our bike, I keep it hooked up to my cell phone, which is mounted on a ram mount on my handlebar, and i run the GPS all day through my phone. I recharge it every night at the hotel, but it really only needs recharging about every 2nd or 3rd day if I'm running the phone/GPS all day. I highly recommend the Microstart battery.

Big Lenny