IGNORED

who rides without fixing up

rbig1

It seems like everyone changes there bike. Is there anyone that leaves it factory. Saves their money for trips instead. I cant really say anything as bought mine modified. Plus put on diamond cuts. The rest was repair items. I don't want to change anything just ride and maintain what I have. Need to change wind screen, but can still see most everything.

Change............... Seems like I've heard that word before. About the only changes I've done to old DOT were of the "to make it more reliable and comfortable varity". Newer TCI, Rectifier, Gel and foam seat redo, ajustable footrests for she who must be obeyed, louder horn, more rear lights, replacing all lights to LEDs. I've said it before ,this is about the easiest bike to tear down quickly I've ever seen. As far as full dressers are concerned. The term "Ride it like you stole it" is deserving of these bikes once everything is up to par.

Yep Rodney, +1 on the buy low dollar broken 1st Gens with no second gear, leave er stock n make it run,, short shift away for a few miles and grab the next one.. Matter of fact,, I even go the other way and have been known to remove the "bling" that others have added (like rear trim work and hitches) so I dont have to fight that stuff when I gotta do crisis management on the side of the road. Riding a beat up, plain jane ol scoot with no second gear and saving the cash for traveling is one point BUT there are other advantages too - like,,,, dont have to worry about someone stealing your scoot,,, can leave it where it breaks if ya cant fix it - a year of traveling and the bike owes ya NOTHING - bus ride home and grab another (funny thing, never had to do that,, GOOD OL YAM'S!!), if it tips over on a mountain side and ya cant pick it up ya can just roll it all the way over and keep going - cracked fairing and broken mirrors taped on with duc tape add character AND,, if ya put a few stickers on it and travel with a pretty little lady like Tip - you would be SURPRISED where ya can "camp" and not be bothered by LEO's or gangsters :biker::biker::cool10:

DSCN2929.JPG

I have left both my ventures fairly stock. They both came with some add ons. All I add is plugs, wires, oil, filters, batteries, tires, and replace anything else that breaks.

On another note. Puc, how are you able to stand on Tweaks, Genesis leans over way to far to stand on.

My Royale has too much stuff. I'd rather have a plain bike. I won't be adding anything for appearance. Stuff like the chrome front brake covers turn me off rather than on. Only change I plan to make is a 4 brush starter. Might think about a LOUD horn. I did buy an R1 brake caliper but I haven't decided whether I'll install it.

I do almost nothing for cosmetic reasons. I did put in HID and LEDs to make me more visible and to let me see where I am going, and save wear and tear on the electrical system. I added a receiver hitch so that it will not be real noticeable but I can still pull my trailer. Other than that I have simply replaced or fixed stuff that was worn out or broken.

I usually spend a stupid amount of time and $ on bring the older bikes back to stock rather than customizing them.

My Venture was pretty much factory stock when I got her other than a cheap set of clamp on highway pegs(changed out for Kuryakyn ISO pegs). I am going to go to an after market ignition module this winter, but that's all I intend to change.

I have left both my ventures fairly stock. They both came with some add ons. All I add is plugs, wires, oil, filters, batteries, tires, and replace anything else that breaks.

On another note. Puc, how are you able to stand on Tweaks, Genesis leans over way to far to stand on.

Might wanna check his kick stand for wear Coff.. Put em on the center stand, lower the side stand and see how much side play you got in it - its amazing how much lean you will get with just a small amount of side play.. You really should check it and fix it if its loose - they are known to fail at the most embarrassing times :255:

The only thing I have done is rearranged under the hood (Faux Tank Cover) and put in different Radio so I could plug my phone in. I would like a different Cup holder on mine tho, Which cowpuc what do you have on tweaks? I haven't seen anything like it. It Kind of looks like a pale of some sort.

All of the stickers and frills I got hanging on Tweeksis have an earned story behind em Snipe and that cup holder holds one of its own. One of the really fun things I have always enjoyed about attending the Sturgis Rally is rescuing treasures from the roadside. Have came home with hats, gloves, jackets and of course, lots of Harley parts rescued from the road side. Many years ago I was out there with my brother in law and my cousin. We were :stickpoke: with the lines of Harley's headed for Rushmore out on 16. Came to an intersection and noticed that "Bike Buoy" cup holder laying in the other lane. Made a quick median turn around and grabbed it.. Been with me every since and got thousands of miles of use from it, sure a lot easier than reaching back and removing my water jug from its holder back over the right saddle bag every time we need a swig :happy34:..

**Side note - had a buddy get killed cause his water bottle in his forward mounted cup holder bounced out of its holder and got caught in the steering:95:. Been using Styro Foam cups only since!!

All of the stickers and frills I got hanging on Tweeksis have an earned story behind em Snipe and that cup holder holds one of its own. One of the really fun things I have always enjoyed about attending the Sturgis Rally is rescuing treasures from the roadside. Have came home with hats, gloves, jackets and of course, lots of Harley parts rescued from the road side. Many years ago I was out there with my brother in law and my cousin. We were :stickpoke: with the lines of Harley's headed for Rushmore out on 16. Came to an intersection and noticed that "Bike Buoy" cup holder laying in the other lane. Made a quick median turn around and grabbed it.. Been with me every since and got thousands of miles of use from it, sure a lot easier than reaching back and removing my water jug from its holder back over the right saddle bag every time we need a swig :happy34:..

**Side note - had a buddy get killed cause his water bottle in his forward mounted cup holder bounced out of its holder and got caught in the steering:95:. Been using Styro Foam cups only since!!

Mine is made for cans but I can put a 32 and 44 oz cup there. But it sits way high.

Do you know this is like sticking candy in front of a kid and then telling them they can't have it!!! I would love to take that for a spin just once...

Right there with ya Snipe!!:thumbsup:

I recall a :photographing: of @zagger 's scoot crossing a river once.. I wish Zag would repost that one cause it will REALLY make ya :big-grin-emoticon:... Hey Zag,, would also LOVE to hear the story of the front end of your bike,, ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT :thumbsup: in a one off, custom mod, one of kind, positively inspirational kind of a way :big-grin-emoticon:

Right there with ya Snipe!!:thumbsup:

I recall a :photographing: of zagger 's scoot crossing a river once.. I wish Zag would repost that one cause it will REALLY make ya :big-grin-emoticon:... Hey Zag,, would also LOVE to hear the story of the front end of your bike,, ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT :thumbsup: in a one off, custom mod, one of kind, positively inspirational kind of a way :big-grin-emoticon:

I believe he uses that pic for his profile picture.

I like to ride a bit bone stock, after a few thousand miles I have a mental inventory of what it will need. It almost always includes a better seat and exhaust/tuning, progressives, ergonomic adjustments. I'll always give a bike a fair shake bone stock.

The best bike I have ever had in stock trim was a 2000 Triumph Sprint ST, purchased it new. It got a custom seat and a 2 brothers can/tune. 80k trouble free miles of blissful riding. The Venture will get quite a bit more than that.

I like the stock look, although I never liked the dull look of the passenger footrests when folded up.

My mods are mostly utilitarian....Leveling links and clutch spring upgrade are all I've done to my second gen.

I always appreciate the custom look of many of the bikes I've seen at the rallies, and think I'd like to do the same, but there's also a lot to be said for the simple beauty of such a wonderfully styled and built machine.:superman: