IGNORED

Yesterday's Ride

Freebird

This weekend Dave Wells was having a camp out near Columbus, OH. Eileen and I decided that we weren't going to camp but did ride down to visit for a while. I made a reservation at the Comfort Inn in Pickerington, OH which was only about 10 to 15 minutes from where they were camping. We left the campground around 12:30 last night and headed for the hotel. When I got there, I learned that my reservation had not gone through for some reason and they had no rooms. So I got online and made a reservation at a Quality Inn just north of Columbus off 270. That was about 20 minutes from where we were. I got there and went to check in and learned that they had made a mistake and had no rooms either. For whatever reason, everything in the area was booked.

So....I said to heck with it and we headed home. Didn't really take the clothes for such a cool ride home but it wasn't bad. We finally pulled into the driveway around 3:10 this morning. To be honest, I would have rather rode home anyway but Eileen wasn't crazy about it.

We had a nice time at the campground. It was behind a Moose Lodge and they had a band that actually wasn't very good but we still enjoyed it.

Now the worse part is that Eileen is still in bed today with bad pain in her neck and shoulders. This happened the last time we rode also but I think worse this time. I'm not calling it yet folks but I'm very close. I have about everything done to the '05 Midnight that I wanted to do and it turned out really nice but possibly for nothing. I've got to do some real soul searching and decide if it's time for us to hang it up. I'm only 61 years old and Eileen is a couple years younger than me but I guess we all get there at different points in our lives.

Maybe it's time to pick up a decent camper and embark on a new hobby and adventures.

Don sorry to hear that Eileen is in pain after your ride. Do you think it could be from wearing a helmet and the wind buffeting her head? Hate to see you give up riding all together maybe you should try something on three wheels a Slingshot perhaps.

Don sorry to hear that Eileen is in pain after your ride. Do you think it could be from wearing a helmet and the wind buffeting her head? Hate to see you give up riding all together maybe you should try something on three wheels a Slingshot perhaps.

Roller might be on to something here Boss.. Back before I messed up my back and had to give up my MXin I came off a double on my KX and pulled some neck muscles.. Took like forever to get over the stiff neck and stuff.. Did some homework on comparing helmet weights and picked a super light weight hat - it was pricey cause it was along the time when Carbon Fiber was just getting started BUT,, WOW did that help!!

Might think about doing the same for Eileen - it is amazing how much stress is removed from neck muscles just by dropping even a few ounces of weight on the lid...

Thoughts and Prayers Up for you Eileen - that stiff/sore neck business is no fun!! Hope you heal and get feeling better soon sister!!:thumbsup:

Does she ride with an open face helmet? Full face and had the visor up? I agree with the others....maybe the wind was catching her helmet.

Other possibility...how does she hold her arms on the bike? She resting them on the wrap around back rest?

Cold also have been from cool/cold wind hitting her neck/shoulders.

Sorry to hear about Eileen, maybe 2 advil before you even get on the bike, might help with inflamation and pain. What kind of windshield you running, might want to try the tallest and widest for better wind protection?

Last nite Kim and I took the trike out to dinner and then went for a nice ride after dinner. It was a perfect nite to ride! Hope you 2 can get more comfortable hate to see ya give it up.

Craig

To answer some of your questions. We use 3/4 helmets. I never put the shield down but she keeps hers down most of the time. The bike has the TALL Clearview shield with vent. There was a little wind yesterday and more buffeting that usual. Also, she had already hurt her shoulders and neck a while back lifting something that she shouldn't have so the bike didn't actually cause it, just aggravated it. Maybe it will be ok when it gets better.

I wonder if the room reservation problem had anything to do with your accumulated free nights? Maybe they could make more money renting it to a paying customer?

It is possible but I really don't think so. Over the past 13 years that has never been an issue. Plus, I'm not sure but I think that they do get paid by Choice Hotels for the reward rooms. Very likely a reduced rate though.

My wife has just told me she is done riding with me. The pain in her back is to much for her to handle. We went like 200 miles yesterday & it was really bad. today she could not stand or walk to the grocery store or actually do anything until about an hour ago. She is able to get around pretty good now.

Similar to the situation here. Our ride yesterday was about 280 miles. She has been in bed pretty much all day. We just talked though and she tells me that it was not the bike. She went to Florida last week with a friend to help her get a condo ready to rent out. She said that they did a lot of lifting and she re-aggravated an injury from September that she doesn't even remember what caused. So maybe once she heals, it will be ok. We'll see.

Don, my wife and I have been going on vacation on the bike every year since I started back riding in 2007. This year she wants to take the car. She says it's because of the heat, she can't take it anymore. We're both 62 so I guess at least for her, she's winding down except for short trips on the bike. I ride almost every day so I guess that makes a difference also. I always said age was just a number. Maybe for some it's more!

Similar to the situation here. Our ride yesterday was about 280 miles. She has been in bed pretty much all day. We just talked though and she tells me that it was not the bike. She went to Florida last week with a friend to help her get a condo ready to rent out. She said that they did a lot of lifting and she re-aggravated an injury from September that she doesn't even remember what caused. So maybe once she heals, it will be ok. We'll see.

That's what going on with my wife. She is really good at the beginning of the season. But as summer gets here it's worse. Hope Eileen starts feeling better soon.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Guest Jamsie

Its prob the buffiting from the wind that has aggravated her neck injury. a lighter carbon full face would take a lot of strain off her neck , but maybe best to let the healing process do its thing first.carbon fibre helmets are expensive , but you pay for what yo dont get ( weight )

did 170 miles from the ferry to home yesterday, plus some sight seeing before we left the Isle Of Man. i had a sore forearm , maybe because i used the cruise and my left arm did most of the steering as i only rest my right hand on the bar when i use cruise and not grip the throttle. averaged about 35mpg( imp), 2 up with luggage full and a bag on the rear carrier.

Sounds familiar. Pat has a bad back and this morning she told me she didn't think she could do long trips anymore. She always stresses her back working around house, etc.. Hence, the research into toy haulers, RVs and trailers is back on the front burner. She did say I could ride and she would fly in and join me at destination. Reasonable alternative is trailers don't work.

But I do enjoy having her with me....

Sorry to hear of your / Eileens' troubles. Sure hope you keep on two wheels but who can blame ya if it's causing problems.

My wife (Lisa) seems to enjoy our rides more than I do. I've always felt that long rides can be a bit of a chore, but that's outweighed by the wind therapy I get. I don't get to ride as much as I'd like, but I find that when I do, about 400 miles / 8 hrs is all I'm comfortable with. Any more than that, and I can't wait to get off the bike....and that's with my second gen, with pillowtop seats.

Anyhoo, it was nice to see you guys at Daves' campout, even if it was just for a few hours.

Never did get any service calls this weekend. That's ok,....got some stuff done around the house.

BTW.....Your Midnight is the only bike my wife's ever said she liked more than my Black Cherry. lol....nice bike.

Take care.:banana:

Don, very good to hear you are putting your wife's health and comfort first, but not surprising you are a real gentleman.

I hope she can feel some relief soon and get back to normal. I'm sure the cool night air would have tightened up her neck and shoulder muscles trying to stay warm which would have added to the discomfort and causing more pain.

I wish her a fast recover.

Sorry to hear Eileen's having trouble with aches & pain. Good suggestions from the guys here. Joyce & I did 210 comfortable miles today on the Slingshot. We were in the same situation on our bikes too before making the change to the Slingshot.

Larry

Don,

I pray that Eileen gets better soon.

We also had a doozy yesterday with my wife Teresa. We haven't been on the bike in a couple months, so we very foolishly decided to go for a ride,even though the temps were going to get quite warm (97, with a heat index of 103). By the time we made a 200 mile loop, my wife was sick with a migraine headache and throwing up. We got home about 2:00PM, and she went straight to bed and stayed there except for getting up and throwing up once. The heat about did her in. I was concerned she had a heat stroke. She woke up this morning without the headache, but feeling shaky and weak. We had the discussion this morning about how age is starting to effect how long and what conditions we can take on the bike.

If I remember correctly, when we was younger we would get on the bike and ride, didn't matter the distance, we were good. Not so much any more, after a winter off it time to re-train those top muscles, so we try to go for shorter rides to get back into it before we do any real distance,,,, makes sense to me I think.

The other suggestion was spot on as well,,,, the one about massage,,,, nothing better!!!