IGNORED

The gas gremlin strikes again.

Flyinfool

This happened once about 5 or 6 years ago and it just happened again.

A full tank of gas has dissapeared out of my bike.

Last month when I went out to look longingly at the bike while the ground was still covered in snow it had a full tank of gas. I started it up and let it run at a high idle for about 45 minutes. This brought it down to 5 of 6 bars on the gas gauge.

Yesterday I had to put in a new battery, turned on the key, and it was showing zero bars on the gas gauge. I looked in the tank and it was bone dry. Empty, nada, nutin there.

First thought was to check the oil. nope, the oil level is exactly midway up the sight glass, so I pulled all 4 plugs just in case there was a cylinder full and spun it over, Nope none there either.

Looking at the ground for signs of gas dripping, not a mark on the ground. The gas cap was still locked, the bike was in a locked steel shed, and the jug of gas on the floor next to the bike was still full, so I doubt that it was theft. No kids in the house anymore, wife would not know how to get gas out of a tank.

Like I said about 1 month ago it showed up as 5 out of 6 bars on the gas gauge which would be about right. The tank took the full contents of my 5 gallon gas jug to fill it, and there was still room for more.

Today there is no sign of dripping or leaking. If it was a stuck float and gas was siphoning out of the tank, where did it go. If it was siphoning it should not go below about a half tank cuz gas don't flow uphill and the bottom of the tank is well below the carbs.

SOOOOOOO

Where did the gas go??? We never did figure this one out back the last time it happened either.

Here is the thread from last time.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?67529-OK-Where-do-you-think-the-gas-went

Edited by Flyinfool

@cowpuc does claim to be able to get into my shed to be able to mess with certain machinery.................

I'll have to send him the bill for 5 gallons of gas, maybe wrap the bill in a big SNOW ball...................

Just be sure to duck when he pays up. he may wrap the payment in a cowpuc.:duck:

Is it possible that the gas cap wasn't or isn't seating properly or you have an air leak somewhere else in your fuel system?

Gas evaporates very quickly. faster than most of us would imagine. Actually that's what it is suppose to do, turn from a liquid into a gas when exposed to air.

I know, you know all this Fool. Is your shed well vented and if it is quite some time between your last visit to the shed?Would you notice much of a gas smell?

Just thinking out loud here......:confused07:

Alien's looking for an alternate fuel source to return home!? :banana:

Next time could you do me a favor Fool,,, could you please add a little Seafoam to the mix, that last batch was kinda stale and tasted funny coming out of the siphon hose.. :Laugh:

I am thinking all the stuff that you think you saw was actually just part of a dream you had during your last surgery.. That you never really did have 5 bars.. This is a common malidy for us bikers when we have to get cut on - its our minds way of saying all is gonna be fine.. :thumbsup2:

Bottom line, dont worry about Jeff, just make sure you fill up the tank and mix up a small amount of Seafoam the next time you store the scoot under lock and key where no one can possibly get at it and all will return to normal:hurts:

On a side note,, I hope Orlin, Hoss, BJ66, CMCoffey, Condor, Zzzz, VideoArizona, Eck, Barrycuda, YammerDan, Freebird and Raggy dont read this and figure out whats going on here - if they do I may actually have to pay for gas on our next trip around the country.. :mo money:You varmints didnt really think I would willing pay 12 dollars just to come on here and chit chat did you? Those names and addresses have sure come in handy :rasberry::rotfl::rotf:

COWPUC PAY WITH HOTDOGS WORTH EVERY CENT :parrots:

Only problem is Drews, a lot of those scoots are from area's outside of Michigan and havent been converted to run on Hot Dogs yet... Not that their owners havent ALL been invited, over and over and over again I might add!!! :big-grin-emoticon::thumbsup:

Only problem is Drews, a lot of those scoots are from area's outside of Michigan and havent been converted to run on Hot Dogs yet... Not that their owners havent ALL been invited, over and over and over again I might add!!! :big-grin-emoticon::thumbsup:
NO BUT THEY RUN ON MOONSHINE :parrots:& WE HAVE LOTS THAT UP HERE HEAR :You_Rock_Emoticon:

:sign Rock On:

Edited by Drews

Well to answer a few questions.

No I never did the carb rebuild from last time. I did do @skydoc_17s cleaning on the bike method and the problem went away until this last month.

Technically the term WIFE was used as a figure of speech, I still don't technically have one of those.

Aliens is a possibility, I do have a few friends from my home planet of Zore that do come to visit me occasionally and they do like to play pranks. They like our gas since their spaceship gets around 4 light years to the gallon.

I did go out and do some more checking and investigating today. I finished changing my front wheel bearings and while putting it all back together the front wheel slipped out of my hands and went rolling away. It took me 2.5 hours to catch up with that fools tire, and by the time I did, I noticed that the tank seemed to be empty again.................AND when I got home, I got the, "WHAT? 2.5 hours to go get gas from 2 blocks away?":duck:I had to explain that not all gas stations have motorcycle gas in stock yet, the nearest gas station that had motorcycle gas in stock was 3 counties away..................:duck:

But I think this may be a new issue, and now my face hurts cuz I can't get the :big-grin-emoticon: to go away and my leg hurts cuz I am a :dancefool::dancefool:...........