IGNORED

Driver backrest. Who's got one? What do you think of it?

Great White

I have a backrest on my 01 not sure what kind it is. It was on the bike when I bought it. Bolts were tightened real tight so it was ridged. I loosened them up so it will fold down so girlfriend could get on easer found out that helped me also. After having one don't want to be without it. Well worth buying.

The Gen I and Gen IIs are two different beasts. With your feet out front cruiser style on the Gen II, I suspect a back rest is needed much more so that with the Gen I. With the Gen I, your feet are closer to being under your butt and a back rest is not as necessary for back comfort.

My ride style requires adjustable bars, a place to rest my tired feet and a good backrest - of course Tippy is the most comfortable backrest I have ever known but when she isnt available I make have to make due......

By the way, thanks @mirider for the pic!!

attachment.php?attachmentid=100684&d=1437338366

The Gen I and Gen IIs are two different beasts. With your feet out front cruiser style on the Gen II, I suspect a back rest is needed much more so that with the Gen I. With the Gen I, your feet are closer to being under your butt and a back rest is not as necessary for back comfort.

I have highway pegs on my 83.

When I'm husseling down a backroad, I want my feet back under men more standard/sportbike style.

When I'm droning down the highway, I want my feet in the breeze (keeps my jimmies happy!)

:)

I agree that the seating position is entirely different. That's why I was personally much more comfortable on the second gen. That being said, I loved the backrest on my '88 also. I will also add that it worked fine with my wife on the passenger seat on both bikes. The '88 did have the Ventureline backrest.

I have highway pegs on my 83.

When I'm husseling down a backroad, I want my feet back under men more standard/sportbike style.

When I'm droning down the highway, I want my feet in the breeze (keeps my jimmies happy!)

:)

Yep. Put highway pads up front on my 89 for same reason...nice to lay back and cruise. Got to strengthen 2nd gen crash bars then add pegs to that bike as well. Do need the stretch! Wife finds the 1st gen more comfortable than 2nd gen. She loves the adjustable backrest. She says it is like a snug cocoon back there. She has fallen asleep on the last two long outings we've taken!

With backrest on either bike, I now get on from high side...just lift "old fart left leg" up and over then slide onto seat. Even without passenger, I can't swing leg high enough to clear backrests. I'm 5'10 and shrinking!

GW, you will like the comfort level a backrest provides, even for short day trips...

david

Since you have a 1st Gen.... what make/model of back rest depends on what is still available. Having the back rest is nice to have.

Since i am first gen, ill be making one for my bike. Not many options left out the to buy and bolt on....:(

True. But I did see a post somewhere that showed how to cut into the 1st Gen's seat...and mount a backrest on the underside of the seat...with the backrest bar coming up out of seat. It was nicely done. Can't find it now...

Looked like a simple slit in seat from top to underneath...then rim the slit on top with leather/vinyl.

If I can find it, I'll forward it to you.

True. But I did see a post somewhere that showed how to cut into the 1st Gen's seat...and mount a backrest on the underside of the seat...with the backrest bar coming up out of seat. It was nicely done. Can't find it now...

Looked like a simple slit in seat from top to underneath...then rim the slit on top with leather/vinyl.

If I can find it, I'll forward it to you.

Dingy did a similar thing using (IIRC) an Harley bracket.

That would likely be my preferred method.

I'm more of a "builder" than a "buyer"....:)

I have a backrest but no mounting brackets for my MK2 (1990). I would like to try it out one day, but it seems the brackets are harder to find than the backrests. I only think I would use it if I were using the highway pegs more often.

Just bought a like new corbin and have two other nice seats for sale.

Backrest is a must for me on long rides.

BTW: Does anyone have a corbin backrest they would like to part with?

Would you be interested in a Saddleman Road Sofa with a backrest? I think the backrest will fit the Corbin also.

Edited by Motiv

Backrest MKI.jpg

I've got the Ventureline backrest on my '84. I had to horse trade a bit to get the right mounting brackets for the MKI but worked out fine. Made a faux sheepskin cover for the pad as well for those hot days. I'm about 6'3" and fits me well. I wouldn't be without it for any long ride. My back used to creak around 250 miles without it but been doing over 500 days this last year without a problem. Makes the days much more comfortable.

dbtgallery.php?do=gallery_image&id=23940&gal=gallery&type=thumb

Edited by Snaggletooth