IGNORED

Heard a big crash

Venturous Randy

When I went out to the garage, this is what I found.

The Maxima was being fixed up to give to Linda's grandson and as you can see, it is now a parts car. The Rodeo had just had another engine put in as the previous owner had a timing belt failure. Neither car had comp insurance on them so my loss. The garage did not get much damage other then having the power lines torn off.

I had just pulled the black Miata into the garage for the night.

As is said, "No good deed goes unpunished".

Randy

1034.JPG

1035.JPG

1036.JPG

1038.JPG

1042.JPG

OUCH my friend,, OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Randy, was this all the result of storms or something or just a tree giving up its roots?? BROTHER - THAT IS TERRIBLE!! Sorry to read about this but very very glad no one was injured!!

Wish I was closer,, got a chainsaw that hasnt been ran since we moved and stopped burning wood and it needs a good workout!!

That is terrible!

Get in touch with your homeowners insurance since the cars should be covered under an "Act of God" portion of your policy.

I know in California what Z is saying is true but here in Michigan, or should I say, the insurance companies I have dealt with concerning matters like this in Michigan, will no way no how pay out on Homeowners when it comes to Auto.. No idea if Randy Land has No-Fault (Michigan does) but if it does, my gut tells me No Comprehensive = Insurance Company could care less about fixing cars for any reason...

I don't even know if I will get the insurance company involved. I have a $500 deductible and I think the only thing that will be covered is the damage related to where the power lines were pulled off the front of the building. The power company was out here within 30 minutes after it happened without me even calling them as the meter had sent them a signal that it had lost power. The lines were on the ground and still hot. He capped them off and pulled them up so I could get a vehicle under them.

My concern right now is getting the Rodeo out from under the tree without more damage. I think it would be better if I jack that end of the tree up just a little to support the weight and pull the Rodeo out and then start cutting the tree up. Right now, most of the weight is being held up by the Maxima.

Randy

Bummer,,, Randy, the damage is already done to the car. Jacking the tree off of it would be a risky job unless you have a front end loader or crane, TREES ARE HEAVY!!! Cut most of the weight off before trying to get the car out. We just had a tree come down in the neighborhood and cut the attached garage in half, taking out 2 cars with it. Took two cranes to lift the tree! Be safe dealing with this.

Sucks big time,,,,but hey,,, just think,,, this is what stories are made of,,,, you'll have something else to tell the next generation,,,, or relate around the campfire,,, you can even indulge in a bit of additional bragging maybe.

That's really bad luck! Both of those vehicles are nice to have. But, I could have been worse if it fell on the house and hurt someone.

That is why I don't like trees in the yard unless they are far enough from the house and important stuff that if they fall they don't do this kind of damage. I do have trees that can hit the house but the HOA won't agree to let me cut them down. I've been trying to talk my wife into moving into the country a ways to get away from the HOA police.

Aw Man Randy that really sux, sorry to see those 2 cars crunched. Looks like most of it will buff out ;-) Seriously be careful cutting that up, dont want to read about any chainsaw accidents, too many guys getting hurt already.

Craig

OK, been a busy morning. Using a 20 ton bottle jack on a stack of concrete blocks along with a 3 ton floor jack, Shane, my grandson and I, were able to take the weight off the Rodeo without sawing any limbs off and with most of the weight being on the Maxima and the ground on the other side of the Maxima. As soon as we got the weight off the Rodeo we were able to back it out. It appears the damage was not nearly as bad as it looked like it was going to be. Mainly, it is the door facing that goes up beside the windshield. In fact, I am really surprised that it did not bust the windshield. If one car had to be a total loss, I am glad it was the Maxima as the Rodeo is worth a whole lot more.

You can compare the pictures of the Rodeo from my first post and the actual damage.

Randy

001.JPG002.JPG003.JPG004.JPG005.JPG

I went thru that same thing back in '04. The wife and I had just got in from a ride on the Volusia we had at the time. There was a cloud coming up so I put the bike under the carport in front of the car. We were standing at the edge of the carport watching the storm when the wind hit. It snapped off a silver maple at ground level,,,,, and it fell right across the cab of my '95 GMC Sonoma. It also broke the corner of the roof/overhang off the house and it hit the rear of the car under the carport. All this happened while we were trying to get away from the flying/falling debris. My homeowners covered everything, tree removal, repair of the house, and replacement of the truck. I was really glad just to have to be out that $500 deductible!! It probably helped that my homeowners and auto insurance are with the same company,,, never had a problem in getting it taken care of. I think I'd at least check into it, just my .02.

WOW... Unreal....So sorry you are having this type of Luck Randy. Hope everything works out for you quickly and cheaply...

Would your home owners insurance be able to cover it (after you pay the deductible of course)? Problem is, once you file a claim, they will most likely either cancel you..or raise your premium three times higher...