IGNORED

Stupid noob move

Brenner

It had to happen, a simple mistake that makes you put your tail between your legs. My first motorcycle "accident" or "mistake". I have been so preoccupied with this project bike about if I was going to like it or if it was operating as it should I simply overlooked the obvious. Now I assume this could happen to any rider of a 1983-1985 MKI Venture. All you other riders really do not have to worry about this dumb mistake. Today my first "real" ride and time to learn and answer all the questions I had on this bike. I start off slow, start to understand what this bike feels like and to know what to expect from it. I shift through the gears and think "what a dog" and as I get used to it I realize my speedo is lazy and slow. Well time to make a list, clean and lube speedo- check, Bike rides a bit harsh then I prefer - remember to pull spacers out of forks from progressive install- check. Try the cruise control, a little too much slap in the cables remember to adjust - check, Might want to adjust the handle bars a little higher - check, so I start to ride like I have always owned it and start enjoying the ride. A little tight fit for my height but I fit WAY better than my last bike so I am looking at the positive. I am still uncertain about how it sounds at certain rpm and gear positions and I force myself to ride a nice road that makes me ride in fourth gear at low speeds so I get used to the sound of the bike. I adjust and am comfortable after 1/2 hour and all my concerns are being whittled down to a few adjustments so I start enjoying the ride and listening to music I drift off to where I have no worries and then it happens, after 100 km (60 miles) I hit a bit of a bump and I feel the weight change on the bike and hear a bang and scraping. I instantly adjust and check my mirrors, can't see anything yet so I pull over to look behind. Well I guess one of my side bags did not enjoy the ride as much as I was and decided to go it's own way. I simply forgot to lock the bag to the bike. I checked the others and they were fine I just simply in my build and pulling them on and off forgot to lock that one. I will never do that again. I put the bag back on the bike and it is heavily road rashed and it bugs me but I do know that they were rough and cracked when I got them so it is no major loss and I have decided I will try to acquire another set and repaint to match my bike. Once back in place I rode another 35 km (22miles) with no noticeable concern other than the bike in my opinion needing to be run in and the carbs reset again to try to dial it in perfectly. So there it is a Stupid Noob Move that makes my bike wear its scarred up bag for all to see. I do not want to post pics as it is a little embarassing.

OOPIE!!!!

As least you did not use my method of bag removal.......

A softball size rock coming out of a pickup truck heading in the opposite direction on a state highway, closing speed around 120mph.:scared:

Does a real good job of removing the bag, on any year....

Been there, done that. Got the T-Shirt.

Always happens. But hope you can sit back and smile that it wasn't the rear wheel....or front wheel...or handlebars...or....

Grins!

:crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup:David :crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup:

You ever have a set of bars come off a bike David:crackup::crackup:

Believe it or not,, I did :crackup::crackup: Had a Honda CT 90 with its bars rubber mounted,, the mounts pulled up thru the top of the top clamp :crackup::crackup::crackup:talk about instant pucker butt :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:another one, had a Suzuki that had a steer lock on the key switch - push down and turn and it locks,, for some reason this one was messed up and would lock without turning the wheel to the side.. Riding along, wondering if I was fast enough to lock/unlock it while riding, amazing how fast I went down - click - BANG!! :crackup::crackup:

Gotta agree with David here,, could have been much worse Bren!! :backinmyday:

Edited by cowpuc

A friend bought my 85 a couple of years ago for parts,...but hasn't sold anything. I also had an extra set of bags I gave him with it. I remember them as being in pretty good shape, I can ask and see if he would like to sell them.

Brian

It had to happen, a simple mistake that makes you put your tail between your legs. My first motorcycle "accident" or "mistake". I have been so preoccupied with this project bike about if I was going to like it or if it was operating as it should I simply overlooked the obvious. Now I assume this could happen to any rider of a 1983-1985 MKI Venture. All you other riders really do not have to worry about this dumb mistake. Today my first "real" ride and time to learn and answer all the questions I had on this bike. I start off slow, start to understand what this bike feels like and to know what to expect from it. I shift through the gears and think "what a dog" and as I get used to it I realize my speedo is lazy and slow. Well time to make a list, clean and lube speedo- check, Bike rides a bit harsh then I prefer - remember to pull spacers out of forks from progressive install- check. Try the cruise control, a little too much slap in the cables remember to adjust - check, Might want to adjust the handle bars a little higher - check, so I start to ride like I have always owned it and start enjoying the ride. A little tight fit for my height but I fit WAY better than my last bike so I am looking at the positive. I am still uncertain about how it sounds at certain rpm and gear positions and I force myself to ride a nice road that makes me ride in fourth gear at low speeds so I get used to the sound of the bike. I adjust and am comfortable after 1/2 hour and all my concerns are being whittled down to a few adjustments so I start enjoying the ride and listening to music I drift off to where I have no worries and then it happens, after 100 km (60 miles) I hit a bit of a bump and I feel the weight change on the bike and hear a bang and scraping. I instantly adjust and check my mirrors, can't see anything yet so I pull over to look behind. Well I guess one of my side bags did not enjoy the ride as much as I was and decided to go it's own way. I simply forgot to lock the bag to the bike. I checked the others and they were fine I just simply in my build and pulling them on and off forgot to lock that one. I will never do that again. I put the bag back on the bike and it is heavily road rashed and it bugs me but I do know that they were rough and cracked when I got them so it is no major loss and I have decided I will try to acquire another set and repaint to match my bike. Once back in place I rode another 35 km (22miles) with no noticeable concern other than the bike in my opinion needing to be run in and the carbs reset again to try to dial it in perfectly. So there it is a Stupid Noob Move that makes my bike wear its scarred up bag for all to see. I do not want to post pics as it is a little embarassing.

Riding along, wondering if I was fast enough to lock/unlock it while riding, amazing how fast I went down - click - BANG!! :crackup::crackup:

:

I just gotta ask: What on this God's green Earth were you trying to...what were you thinking? :yikes::yikes:Huh??? WHY??? :think::icon_smile_question

Brenner,

From the title I thought it was something much worse.......we all have brain farts....sadly as I get older more of them seem to arrive. From all the work and practice your getting on that Venture you may have a sideline business in painting scoots. Still love the colour.

I just gotta ask: What on this God's green Earth were you trying to...what were you thinking? :yikes::yikes:Huh??? WHY??? :think::icon_smile_question

You have no idea how many times I have asked myself that same question thru the years Wally and STILL, to this day,, have no sensible answer for it!! :backinmyday:

Getting back to kickstands and transcendental meditation,, years ago a guy opened a "Gas Gas" bike shop near us, I was very heavy into dirtbikes at the time and VERY interested in this "new breed" so a friend and I rode to G.R. to take a peek.. I asked permission to sit on a pretty red one at the end of the row of bikes, the owner gave me a nod. I noticed right away that the bikes kickstand SNAPPED up when I tipped the bike up.. My buddy caught my attention with a "look at thisssss" from the other side of the show room.. I CAREFULLY got off the bike, PURPOSELY held the kickstand down and pulled back on the bike to make sure the kicker was all the way engaged, let go and PURPOSELY looked down at the bike to make sure it was good to go, walked around the back of the bike AND DID NOT TOUCH IT and than across the showroom.. When I got to the other side of the showroom there was a LOUD CRASH as a whole row of brand new bikes went down!!

Of course, the owner was TICKED at both me and the Gas Gas company.. Me for not being more careful and Gas Gas for putting a powerful enough spring in their "GP Start Kickstands" to actually give the bikes forward momentum on their own - a motorcycle with a mind of its own!! After we all calmed down, He told me that he had came into his shop one morning and found all the bikes laying down!! :confused24:

Thank you all. I am sorry I have not been attentive to this site as I firstly thought about what value this bike has to me. Then secondly considered my options or repair or replace. Thirdly looked at my financial resources for this project. This is how it boils down. I honestly have exhausted my resources on this bike (looking for employment) and do not want to put any more into it even though this was my mistake and not the bikes. I have taken a down payment and agreed to sell my Virago to a buyer who came from north of Toronto to purchase it. He was unable to have full payment and looked sincere and respectfully in need so I agreed to wait for full and final payment of remaining balance the first week of May. He really was afraid to touch or sit on the bike as he honestly looked like he was in love with it. What this means is that I have ear tagged this money for my insurance premiums. I wanted to be fair with him as others have been fair to me in the past and he reminds me of myself a year ago when I was new to bikes, time to pay it forward or lend a hand. So that left me with wondering how I really feel about this bike and to decide to replace or repair. Well I can honestly say I am not in love with this bike yet but I have to give it time and to get to know it. So after some thought my final decision was to repair the damaged bag and look for a pair in better condition than what I have to replace in the future. I would like to hold off till I have a few extra bucks in hand so I don't waste anyone's time over the bags. Currently I have two sets if bags available to me, one set I have seen real nice condition and one set sight unseen needing work. The real nice set are from a guy I bought a parts bike off of and he has asked for all my chrome pieces, and foot board etc... off my original project and cash (no number yet) for the bags. I have seen what the prices of the chrome are and I feel he whether intentional or not might be taking advantage of a situation. I don't want to create a problem as he has been decent but I realize almost everything has been in his favor and to me that is getting old quick. The other set I have not seen but do not want to show up until I have coin to lay out. I do not expect anything for nothing and my independence keeps me settling debts before they get to deep. Now I am attempting the repair (already have materials) so I can hide my mistake and then I can approach the seller with the great shape bags where I am not in need of them (and he does not have me over a barrel so to speak) but would be willing to purchase them at the right trade, or price, or cash in hand to the other seller with bags needing work. Why you might ask if I have a set that look okay would I replace? Well honestly my original bags were heat damaged and cracked when I got the bike. I am REALLY anal about details and the way something should fit or work. I was so anal it took me some time but I ended up finding and paying a small fortune just for the year correct owners book and factory tool kit. As far as the chrome and accessories I mentioned earlier these have no value to me and I would rather find a home for them with someone more deserving. I do not want coin for them but rather to know someone who may not be able to afford them could have them and be proud to use them on their ride. Again a Pay it forward as I hope the karma sometime down the line will return to me.

• 2 weeks later...
Brenner,

I know the horse is out of the barn now, but I thought you might find it interesting that apparently many others have suffered with lost saddlebags to the extent Yamaha actually felt the need to publish a Tech Bulletin. From 1983:

[ATTACH]98951[/ATTACH]

Perhaps this is part reason the 86 and later did not have removable bags? Oh well I am over it and honestly put a few more minor scratches on it during my education. Maybe in the next week or two I will touch up the bike and hide all evidence a NOOB like me rode it. lol.... If we can't laugh at ourselves we have no right to laugh at others.....

The 86 and newer have the lid to the saddlebags that can fall off and go skidding down the pavement. They always slide with the painted side down.......... Don't ask how I know this.........

Yup, experience has shown me you are 100% correct. I admit I did scuff up the bags and fill the scratches in with polyester puttey and a quick shot of base coat to make them green again before riding out in public. I am running the damaged reflector as a casualty and to remind me of my inexperience. This will all change soon as the paint will be repaired and the led marker lamps will be installed along with green led under lighting for parking. Did I mention my Harley Road king pipes came in today? Trying real hard to make myself love this bike. Oh and the Harley pipes will remain chrome just for Marcarl.

Perhaps this is part reason the 86 and later did not have removable bags? .

Not only are they not removable without tools in my view they are scarcely removable with tools.

I have learned not to stall forward motion with a heavy bike leaned over. I have also learned that if the driveway slopes greatly between the sidewalk and the street you won't be able to put your feet down with the rear wheel on the sidewalk and the front wheel on the street. Or vise-versa. I have learned to be very careful moving a motorcycle while the front brake isn't operable. Don't try making quick turns on gravel, or wet streets, or snow. If you keep up-shifting and gunning it coming out of turns you'll eventually find the point where the rear wheel breaks loose spectacularly. Or the front will wash out first. Dry lakebeds may not be as dry as you think (or hope) they are. When mud is deep enough it will eat your front wheel, both if you're lucky. If you gun it at just the right time going over a two foot bump on a large two-stroke motorcycle it will leap into flight. If you're going to fly around on a motorcycle then ensure that your suspension can handle the landing.

I've been riding for 40 years now except for a break of about 15 years during which my two wheel experiences were on bicycles (sometimes going 40mph down a mountain road). I am still learning. I recently learned to be very cautious around delivery drivers of any sort.

:backinmyday: PS. Why do you think the old guy has a cane? :bang head:

So with regard to your lack of money and wanting to erase your Nooby sins as cheaply as possible you can use an old plastic modelers trick and make a filler putty out of some ABS plastic shavings. Just get an ABS fitting or piece of pipe,cut it into shavings and mix it with enough ABS pipe glue to make a paste and smear it on like body putty. When dry sand smooth and paint. It shouldn't take too much of the putty. If you don't want to make putty Squadron has a ready made plastic compatible putty that is very easy to work with and binds well to plastic. You can google "modelers supplies" or "Squadron Green" and find sources for it and they may have other brands as well. Oh how do I know this stuff,my 87 lid flew off with the same results as yours and I couldn't use the Noob excuse. I just forgot to put the tethers on when I went from the 86 to the 87.

Oh how do I know this stuff,my 87 lid flew off with the same results as yours and I couldn't use the Noob excuse. I just forgot to put the tethers on when I went from the 86 to the 87.

Well I lost my whole left bag on my first ride as I simply forgot to fully lock it after doing some final adjustments. noob or not I assume it does happen at times... I am just happy it didn't hit a car and cause damage or an accident. It could have been much worse and thankfully it was my bike and not one I borrowed.