IGNORED

Not MC, but still looks like fun. My other passion.

Flyinfool

Well I took a detour back to the ignition box. I now have the actual circuit all bread boarded up and have started to assemble it into a waterproof case. Of course as I always seem to do I added complexity as I progressed. I have 4 red flashing LEDs to warn that it is powered up. I am estimating it to have 20,000 volts of output. I have added an interlock so that if the case is open the power shuts off. For now I have gone with the original plan of the relay and ignition coil. This setup is giving me about a 3/4 inch long very bright blue nearly continuous spark. when connected to the spark plug I have opened the gap way up and still have a very hot spark that will ignite paper instantly. I am getting close to having it all installed into its water proof case. I will post pics when I finish it. Just waiting for the big brown truck to bring some more parts to mount everything in the case..

I do not know how long the relay will last with this abuse, so I have a spot in the case for a couple of spares and the one in use is in a socket so it will be easy to replace in the field.

I have also designed a solid state spark generator and have gotten as far as drawing up the schematic and the printed circuit board layout. I have neither acquired any parts for this version nor done any actual building of it. So far this version just lives on paper.

• 2 weeks later...

I have now completed the ignition system for the engine. I need a continuous spark to get the fuel to ignite. once the pulse jet is running the flame is self sustaining. this box will stay on the ground and is just for starting. It produces a spark about 3/4 inch long, and has a really hot fire across the electrodes of the spark plug. It is really pretty simple electrically. A 12V battery, A relay wired as a buzzer, which also acts as the points in an old bike, a condenser to try to save the relay contacts a bit, and an automotive ignition coil to step the voltage way up. I also added 4 random flashing LEDs to show that the power is on. I have some "DANGER HIGH VOLTAGE" stickers coming to put by the switch and the output terminals.

Next on the list is the Air supply for starting. This will need a source of compressed air and that will need to be mixed with the correct amount of propane to make a nice combustible mixture to blow into the front of the engine. Once this mix ignites inside of the engine I can then turn on the main fuel flow and it should keep running at that point. As soon as I get all of this ground support stuff designed and built I can do the first test fire of the Pulse Jet engine on a test stand.

There is still a lot of work to do on the aircraft itself, but that is also coming along little by little.

20181227_205058.jpg

20181227_205017.jpg

20181227_204910.jpg

• 9 months later...

Well this ended up on hold for a while again with more health junk. But I am back at it again. The construction phase is pretty much done, and I just splashed on the first coat of primer. The first coat is just a light dusting of black primer. al other coats of primer will be bright white. The black is just so I can tell when almost all of the white primer has been sanded off. This is an aircraft where weight matters, so each coat of the white has to be sanded off almost entirely just leaving what is needed to fill imperfections. Right now it really looks like a stealth missile in all flat black primer. It is nearly invisible in the pics I tried to take.

I still have not decided on a paint scheme other than it will be very bright colors for visibility.

I have a co-worker in our maintenance department and he was telling me about those remote control planes that can fly and maneuver like crazy. They usually have an annual convention of enthusiast where people come from all over the country and around the world. They all flock in one location complete with a nice miniature airstrip and all the works. He said some of the planes and jets, etc. can cost one several thousands of dollars. It really is a fun hobby for the old and the young.

Well this ended up on hold for a while again with more health junk. But I am back at it again. The construction phase is pretty much done, and I just splashed on the first coat of primer. The first coat is just a light dusting of black primer. al other coats of primer will be bright white. The black is just so I can tell when almost all of the white primer has been sanded off. This is an aircraft where weight matters, so each coat of the white has to be sanded off almost entirely just leaving what is needed to fill imperfections. Right now it really looks like a stealth missile in all flat black primer. It is nearly invisible in the pics I tried to take.

I still have not decided on a paint scheme other than it will be very bright colors for visibility.

:scared:,, TOTALLY AWESOME AND DOUBLE :dancefool::dancefool::clap2::clap2: HERE YA LOP EARED SNOW TOSSIN VARMINT!! It brings a HUGE :Laugh: on my face hearing you are able to get back the most AWESOME project known in VR varmint land = headed to the wild blue yonder!!! I thank God you are getting back on your feet my brother!!

I too know how you feel,, while not quite as exciting as your surface to air missile (if your a spy looking for bad guys building naughty things - I say "surface to air missile" in tonge in cheek mode = my buddy is building an RC Air Plane NOT a real surface to air missile = by the way,,, he doesn't REALLY have a machine that control's the weather either - thought I better make that known too :smile5:)... I have yet to even site in and/or even felt good enough to really putting my AR builds thru their paces.. There they set with only my Son In Law and my Grandson having fired em when they came from California for my daughters wedding.. Haven't even got sites permenatly mounted :crying: - what a SHAME.. I have a pigeon tosser I built up to mount on the back of our pickup truck to take Tippy out and see if she can bust a tossed clay bird = that sweet lady waits patiently for my health to recoup and for my kids to stop having babies (got two more Grand Kids due in January :pushups: :pushups: - that traveling and sleeping in the back of our car as Tip drives us to and from the little ones also takes priority over shootin fun.. Always something aint it :Bunny:

Reading this update of yours is a REAL blessing Jeff!!! I still have HIGH hopes of finding the path to your region to witness LAUNCH DAY,,, I would LOVE to be there if at all possible!!!!!!:thumbsup2: THAT would be one truly eventful way for two lop eared wild eyed brother varmints to enjoy life together again!!!

GOOOOOOOO FOOL GOOOOO:dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool:

@cowpuc

I would love to have you be able to pop in here while you are commuting back and forth to Cali.

If I knew when you were coming, I might even be able to arrange some real interesting stuff at the airfield.

I have been under a lot of stress lately with stuff going on around here, I have found that working on "things" in the basement has been very therapeutic for me.

Maybe I can just leave it the stealth black so I can sneak up on you with a batch of 60° SNOW!!! :snow2::snow::snow2::snow::snow2::stirthepot:

WI White Washer.gif

Edited by Flyinfool

• 2 weeks later...

I have finally decided on a color scheme for this beast. The computer does not do the colors justice.

The yellow will be the very bright Corvette Yellow, The red is a very bright GM Fire Red (same as my truck) and the darker red along the leading edges will be a bright Metal Flake Red. In the top view the gold area in the center will be a gold heat reflective material. The same gold stuff that NASA uses to protect spacecraft from heat. On the bottom it is just a very bright white and black stripes with the same Metal Flake Red wrapping around from the top. All of the priming is now done. it is in white primer so that the colors will be brighter. I am now in the process of accumulating all of the painting supplies that I will need to get the whole thing done.

TOP VIEW

Layout-Top.jpg

BOTTOM VIEW

Layout-Bottom.jpg

SIDE VIEW

Layout-Fin.jpg

This is actually a great color pattern for spatial orientation. Each side has highly contrasting colors so it is visible against any back ground light or dark, the top and bottom patterns are very different so that you can instantly tell if you are looking at the top or the bottom, and the shape itself will indicate what direction it is headed.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Well I been masking and paintin like crazy. I never realized just how much masking this paint scheme required. A painter I am not, and never will be. I just squirted on the final coat of color, Now I just need to cut and apply the vinyl graphics then clear the whole thing, then apply the final heat shields and trim tape and the finish will be done.

It does not look anywhere near as good as what most of you do. There are a lot more bumps and divots than there should be, but at 250MPH, no one will notice.

I just put the last color down a few minutes ago and will unmask it to see for the very first time tomorrow. Hoping to get to the clear coat this weekend.

I did order some Titanium bars to remake the engine mounts. I was concerned that the aluminum will be to close to some very hot parts and did not want to risk it softening while near red hot stainless steel. The other option was to make the parts out of steel but they are mounted right at the trailing edge of the wing and weight added to the tail has to be avoided, I an anticipating having to add a ton of nose weight. The TI will save some weight over the steel and be more than adequate to handle the temperatures. Hopefully I will soon have some pics out in the sun (IF the sun EVER comes out here again)

And now for the drum roll please................,...,

The pics of the paint job you have been waiting for......................

This was the first time the sun came out since I painted it.

It looks good as long as you don't look closely at it anywhere.

The camera did not capture the metal flake in the red very well, that part looks better in person.

20191207_131218C.jpg

20191207_131354C.jpg

20191207_131312C.jpg

20191207_131301C.jpg

20191207_131249C.jpg

20191207_131235C.jpg

• Like 1

Looking pretty good Jeff. Have you figured out at what speed the paint will start pealing off yet? :yikes:

I guess we will find out if this paint is good for 250 MPH.

ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS!!!!!!:thumbsup:

Not only is it purdy,, it's got that "Bond,,, James Bond" look to it :bluesbrother:... I cannot WAIT to see it FLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY Flyinfool ! Point it toward Michigan and pull the trigger:missingtooth:

Well at least it don't look like a high speed snowflake no more. But then it could just be a delivery method for the new High Temp Snow................

Left hand shift or right and where in the hell do you sit?

There is no shifter, it is an automatic........

As for where you sit, I am thinking the best place to sit may be on the $hitter, This thing may just scare the $hit outa me.

You bringing that up to FDL to fly in the spring? Would love to see that go.

RR

I was thinking of doing the first flight up at the Fon du Lac field, They have 4 times more runway and no trees.

Jeff, I can't argue with your choice for seating on your first flight. This could create an entirely new version of "Game of Thrones". And whole new level to the term of "Coming in Hot". :shock3: You've far surpassed my experience and skills in the RC world. I'm keeping an eye on this. Best of luck. :happy34: I need a new hero. :beer:

When are you going too, "Let Her Rip Tattor Chip". Hope you got a fast camera operator and a good search crew at hand.:thumbsup2:

I am hoping for mid summer to "Let Her Rip". I do not have any cameras lined up for the maiden flight :duck:, that does not mean there will not be some there.......

I still have to install the electronics inside it, design and build the compressed air/propane mixer for starting, and test fire the engine on a test stand to learn how it works, and remake all of the mounting hardware out of Titanium and then get it all mounted and then get the balance point correct. It will take a lot longer to do each of these than it did to type it all out.:whistling:

Been following your progress from start go looking forward too flight date. I'm an old combat string flyer from days gone by Mcoy .049 and bigger 35 engines. Build and repair them all week then crash with your buddies on Sunday afternoons. Kept us out of serious trouble in our teens and our minds occupied. You've taken moldel plane building to much higher echelon than we could have dream about. Let us know when to look up.:2133:

I also started out in Control line combat, more than a half century ago.:backinmyday: I also did .049 and fast and slow combat with the .35 size engines.

What a blast that was, I don't know if I am even still physically able to that if I wanted to. But I fly and enjoy RC combat.

Part of the safety protocol is that there will not be a lot of people around for that first flight.