IGNORED

How did you get Hooked - Picture of your first motorcycle?

VanRiver

@eusa1....Nice bike, and even nicer to hear that it is back in your collection!

As my Grandfather always said "Set her free, and if you were meant to be together she will be back!" :hurts:

my first bike 1972 suzuki ts 50 i tracked it down 30 years after i sold it and its in my collection now[ATTACH=CONFIG]97647[/ATTACH]

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have any pictures of the actual bike a 1956 AJS 18s but it looked somewhat like this.

AJS1.jpg

Of course mine didn't look anywhere near this good,having been beat to pieces in the 12 years between 1956 and 1968 when I got it.I had been riding before, but this is the 1st one that was mine.

I still have the frame of my first bike - the 59 - sitting in my basement. Not to long ago I noticed a later model of the same bike for sale for a couple hundred bucks. Tip and I went over to Grand Rapids and drug it home. My plan is to use this later model Moped as a parts bike to restore (not repaint and all that - just put it together in its perfect patina state) my original first bike to rideable condition and then use it as a daily rider...

I don't know nothing about mopeds but I wonder if you shouldn't just ride the shiny one and wait until the Barber Museum calls you about the one with the nice red-brown patina?

It would be nice to have one of them today.

What year did the XL350 switch to 12v?

That is good question Eagle, gonna get my guess in early here and say probably about the same time they switched over to electronic ignition - maybe 78ish.

Sadly I only have a years experience in the motorcycle world and never knew anyone close who rode. This pic is of my first project bike a 1984 Virago 750 Canadian model (US models were only 700cc). This bike was a one owner who bought it rode a couple of seasons then had a child and wifey said no more bikes so it was stored for 24 years then came to me from the owners son in Oct. 2013. It was all seized and rusted chrome and basically forgotten till I saw it. 4 months playing in the garage and alot of polishing and elbow grease and I had my first bike to learn to ride on. Now I am 6'2" so I quickly out grew this machine after 7600 km and my venture is replacing it. There is my one previous owner Low Glide Harley (only vehicle I ever purchased needing no work) that came after my virago but I don't think I will be able to ride it as my wife now wants to ride the rear seat so I traded some work for a venture project for her comfort. I prefer a naked bike but as they say "Happy wife, happy life" and the touring is better for long distance. Please excuse the messy driveway.

1984 Yamaha XV750 Canada only

WP_20140309_002.jpg

1985 Harley FXRS Low Glide

WP_20140704_002.jpg

Edited by Brenner

Well, I did some diggin but could only find a pic of my 4th bike. First 3 were 1969 Yamaha 125 twin, 1972 Triumph 650 Bonneville, 197? Honda 500-4 (which I choppered)... then I got this Honda 750 stock and added the fairing and bags and paint work.

1974Honda1.jpg

Well, I did some diggin but could only find a pic of my 4th bike. First 3 were 1969 Yamaha 125 twin, 1972 Triumph 650 Bonneville, 197? Honda 500-4 (which I choppered)... then I got this Honda 750 stock and added the fairing and bags and paint work.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]97679[/ATTACH]

NICE!!

Silvr, I gotta ask ya something here.. When say 69 Yamaha 125 Twin, are you by any remote chance talking about the little Yam Scrambler with high pipes? Had a single pipe on each side,, if I recall I think they were model numbered "A1C" or "A1SC" or something like that? I CRAVED that little scoot! There were lots and lots of early Twin Jets, 200 and 305 Big Bears Scramblers and early R1 350's around (I redid one of those a few years ago - bet not many kids today know that the predecessor of their 1 liter R1 was a 350 two stroke twin way back in the 60's).. Anyway, that 125 Scrambler was rare around our area, never had one but I ALWAYS :178:after em!!

I learned how to ride on a 50cc Zundapp. And was overwhelmed with the freedom. That was it. I was hooked. Many great days spent on that baby. I don't have pic of the actual bike, but here is a pic of the same model. Mine wasn't quite as glossy.

Zundapp4.jpg

I'm not sure when it started, but I stole myt first motorcycle at the age of about 10! It was my brothers 305 Honda dream. He wasn't home and the folks were out of town so off I went! he wasn't real haqppyt about it and when my dad found out about I wasn't real happy!!

About a week later my dad told me that if I was going to ride I needed to learn a little. He took me out in a field with a mini bike and had me ride towards him, when he dropped his hand I had to lay the bike down and stay on top of it! He taught me other stuff too but that has saved my life.

Have I ever mentioned that he raced Harleys in the 30s and my grandfather used to ride the Wall Of Death at county fairs in the 20s! I guess maybe I do know when it starfted after all!!!!

images.jpg

I grew up in a household where motorcycles where seen as very dangerous and thus not encouraged at all to go that way by my parents. Thankly, my older brother broke the ice and started riding about 2 years before me. He got me hooked. At 17 I bought my first bike -- a black Yamaha XS1100. I was always a big guy so no 650s for me to start on. I bought this bike without my parents knowing and stored it at my brothers house while he was teaching me how to ride. Now my father happened to be the driver examiner in town, so I booked an appointment in the next town to do my drivers test (behind his back). Got there did my test, passed and drove home to break the news to mom and dad. When I got home, there is dad sitting in the driveway waiting for me and he is royally pissed. (The driver examiner in the other town called him to tell him how good a job I had done on the test.........Dad said 'what motorcycle test??......I will leave you to guess what was said next). Anyway, when I drove in I figured the cat was out of the bag and offered him a ride on the spot. To my amazement he hopped on and off we went........he took me to where he does the technical part of the test (figure 8 and circles) and made me do it in front of him. So after now doing the test twice in one day he was at least satisfied that I could ride....albeit just beginning. It took a long time to regain his trust but in the end he truly enjoyed hopping on once in a while.

Had that bike for 2 years and then I moved up to a First gen Royale for another 3 years. Then I stopped as I had access to more horsepower than brains and it was just a matter of time before I would kill myself. Did have a few close calls but one bad one with a transport truck that sealed that deal. Now 25 years later, 2 years ago I figured I had matured enough (yes it took a while) and bought my current 2006 Second Gen. Now defensive driving is the norm and hope to remain riding for a while so I could catch up on those lost years. Thats my story.........

dbtgallery.php?do=gallery_image&id=27661&gal=gallery&type=full

NICE!!

Silvr, I gotta ask ya something here.. When say 69 Yamaha 125 Twin, are you by any remote chance talking about the little Yam Scrambler with high pipes?

It was like this one...

Yamaha125cc.jpg

I fried the engine on it less than a month after I bought it. I guess riding 2-up at freeway speeds was just too much for it LOL. Good thing it was covered under warranty. Same dealer sold Triumph and I wanted a 650 Bonneville but the bank wouldn't go for it at the time.

Sorry I do not have a picture of my first bike.... but I do have the story for it. I was 19 going on 20.... I was working a second job to pay for the latest of my exploded motors in my 1967 VW Beetle when I met the head waitress at the facility I was at. She was a very attractive blonde gal, so after a while and against upper managements request (my oldest brother) I asked the girl for a date.... much to my surprise she said yes.... we hit it off and continued dating. I got the VW back to rubber in two gears and drive able. I told her one day that I was thinking of selling the VW and maybe buy a van or a motorcycle. She thought the motorcycle idea was great but did remind me that we did get this thing called Winter and a motorcycle may not be a good year round concept.

A month or two went by and one morning I got a call at work that on her way to work my girlfriend had been in an accident and was in hospital with minor injuries..... after her recovery and lots of insurance company hassles it was determined that the school bus she had hit had run a stop sign and was 100% at fault and settled with her.

A few days later she showed up to my work with a friend of hers following her on a brand new Honda CB400A. She handed me a helmet a leather jacket and a set of keys including keys to her apartment. Hmmm I said....not bad. Oh did I say she then drove away in my beloved VW! Well I had never ridden a motorcycle but at the end of the day I had to get home.... learned how to ride that day..... and never dropped it either.

I am not totally stupid...... on her next birthday I made her a cake with an engagement ring mounted on the top.... we got married the next year on her birthday... 33 years ago. That bike got sold for part of our first house down payment but 2 mortgages and 4 children later I am back at it.

Wow, great story @kevin-vic-b.c. ! That lovely lady of yours sounds like a pure gem! Glad you kept the girl and sold the bike was for the right reasons.

Sorry I do not have a picture of my first bike.... but I do have the story for it. I was 19 going on 20.... I was working a second job to pay for the latest of my exploded motors in my 1967 VW Beetle when I met the head waitress at the facility I was at. She was a very attractive blonde gal, so after a while and against upper managements request (my oldest brother) I asked the girl for a date.... much to my surprise she said yes.... we hit it off and continued dating. I got the VW back to rubber in two gears and drive able. I told her one day that I was thinking of selling the VW and maybe buy a van or a motorcycle. She thought the motorcycle idea was great but did remind me that we did get this thing called Winter and a motorcycle may not be a good year round concept.

A month or two went by and one morning I got a call at work that on her way to work my girlfriend had been in an accident and was in hospital with minor injuries..... after her recovery and lots of insurance company hassles it was determined that the school bus she had hit had run a stop sign and was 100% at fault and settled with her.

A few days later she showed up to my work with a friend of hers following her on a brand new Honda CB400A. She handed me a helmet a leather jacket and a set of keys including keys to her apartment. Hmmm I said....not bad. Oh did I say she then drove away in my beloved VW! Well I had never ridden a motorcycle but at the end of the day I had to get home.... learned how to ride that day..... and never dropped it either.

I am not totally stupid...... on her next birthday I made her a cake with an engagement ring mounted on the top.... we got married the next year on her birthday... 33 years ago. That bike got sold for part of our first house down payment but 2 mortgages and 4 children later I am back at it.