IGNORED

How much do you pay for FULL coverage insurance on your 2nd gen?

VentureFar

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting, I think esurance is Allstate.

Ya I went to esurance and it says "an Allstate company" I put in my zip code to start a quote and it changed the page to progressive!

went with Allied Ins. bodily inj 250,00 each person, 500,000 each occurance,property damage 100,000- medical payments 10,000 comph 100 collision ded 250 custom equip 3,000, uninsured motorist- bodily injury 250,000 each person, 5000,000 each occurrence TOTAL $382.80 yr. subsideary of Nationwide through an agent:hurts:

I just put in similar coverages on the progressive page and price is $415 but we have the $186 MCCA fee (Michigan Catastrophic Claims Association).

I just put in similar coverages on the progressive page and price is $415 but we have the $186 MCCA fee (Michigan Catastrophic Claims Association).

That MCCA is the biggest scam ever pushed onto motorcyclists !:mad: The MCCA only covers motor vehicle accidents, motorcycles are NOT considered motor vehicles under Michigan statute. The only way MCCA will pay a claim if you get into an accident and have a Catastrophic wreck is if a motor vehicle is involved. If you just run off the road and hit a tree while riding it won't cover your long term care. I have to pay the MCCA Fee of $186 X 5 = $930 per year then add your insurance costs :bang head:

AAA insurance on both bikes. 2007 Honda Shadow Spirit is in the low $400 range. 2007 RSV is in the mid $400 range. But then I put them in storage and drop the comprehensive and theft and I get almost #250 back from AAA. Bikes are stored in my garage and covered on my homeowners policy...also AAA.

That is why I ride old bikes with only liability insurance and uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage. Actually I don't ride that much either and that is the other reason I have old bikes. No need to pay for a newish bike if I don't ride much. Now that I retired again, I hope to remedy the riding situation!

I use Geico, Full coverage including towing on a 01' Suzuki Volusia and a 99' RSV and pay $184 per year for both.:mo money:

BIL 250,000/ 500,000. PDL 100,00. Comp and collision $50 deductible, It was $99 a year just for the Volusia before I added the RSV.

Edited by Motiv

My wife is an agent with Liberty Mutual. If you are a married homeowner over 26 with a clean driving record they have probably the best rates out there. If you are not in that window of what they are looking for they are not competitive. If anyone wants a quote from them let me know and I'll send you my wife's contact info.

Hey rickardracing,

In my 42 years as an insurance agent I have never seen a homeowner policy that would cover your motorcycle. Every homeowner policy I have seen excludes any coverage for motor vehicles licensed for road use. If they were covered under a homeowner there would be no need for a motorcycle policy. If someone with AAA told you it is covered you need to request a letter from the claims department confirming your cycle would be covered under your homeowner. Also the majority of the cost in a cycle policy is the collision coverage. If you had the bike in storage it would make more sense to delete the collision, since you are not going to be riding, and keep the comprehensive coverage.

Hey Mike G,

Nationwide/Victoria didn't sell to Titan they just changed the name of Victoria to Titan. Nationwide sells insurance through Independent Agents through Titan. A Nationwide agent is what we call in the insurance industry a "captive agent." They can't sell with any company other than Nationwide.

Hey Mike G,

Nationwide/Victoria didn't sell to Titan they just changed the name of Victoria to Titan. Nationwide sells insurance through Independent Agents through Titan. A Nationwide agent is what we call in the insurance industry a "captive agent." They can't sell with any company other than Nationwide.

Thanks Eddie. I jumped to NW/Victoria (so, now Titan) about 5 years ago from GEICO. But same thing, they started good, then continued increases each year.

I will stick with a good thing, as long as I am treated good. But, $330 vs $500/yr,, (good record, good credit, same coverage's) is time to move.

But, as noted, I did give my agent the opportunity to keep me, and he did.

He does similar with my house/cars.

Mike G

AAA insurance on both bikes. 2007 Honda Shadow Spirit is in the low $400 range. 2007 RSV is in the mid $400 range. But then I put them in storage and drop the comprehensive and theft and I get almost #250 back from AAA. Bikes are stored in my garage and covered on my homeowners policy...also AAA.

Hey rickardracing,

In my 42 years as an insurance agent I have never seen a homeowner policy that would cover your motorcycle. Every homeowner policy I have seen excludes any coverage for motor vehicles licensed for road use. If they were covered under a homeowner there would be no need for a motorcycle policy. If someone with AAA told you it is covered you need to request a letter from the claims department confirming your cycle would be covered under your homeowner. Also the majority of the cost in a cycle policy is the collision coverage. If you had the bike in storage it would make more sense to delete the collision, since you are not going to be riding, and keep the comprehensive coverage.

Instantly caught my attention too Ed,,, hope others read your comment and at least douple check their home owners insurance policy if they are doing what RR is doing!!! I know a guy that lost 35k worth of vehicles and they were not covered due to a misunderstanding concerning exactly what you are talking about.. The person I am speaking of was wealthy enough that he hired a lawyer to challenge the insurance company.. He found out thru the courts that had his car/bike/jeep that he had lost due to theft been in "parts" he would have had a legit claim but, complete vehicles are a different story... Also had a friend get broken into recently,, found out that guns, jewerely are not normally covered? And that person had some major vehicle damage done during the break in process that will not be covered... Insurance is tricky and its real easy to come thru the "filing a claim" process with some real hurt feelings from things your told when you buy the policy - if a person wants to know what the company really will cover I have often wondered if the easiest way to know for sure is to ask a claims adjuster for the insurance company before ya have the need to file a claim and are stuck finding out the hard way..

Another note,, here in Michigan we have No Fault Auto Insurance and this thing called The Michigan Catastrophic Fund.. The fund is for the insurance companies to tap into if they have claims that go above 300k (I think thats the break point - I am NO insurance guy).. All our plated vehicle owners have to pay into the Fund when they buy their policy. Right now, the 6 months policy Fund fee ALONE is around 170 dollars (340ish a year) - this is JUST the fund, the policy costs are added to this amount.. We pay more just for this Fund on our bikes than people like Frodo below pay for his actual policy (you probably know all this)..

An interesting point having to do with our bike insurance is that unless a cage (AUTO) is involved in a motorcycle claim accident, even though we bikers pay the same amount into the fund,, we do NOT have access to it.. Now that said,,, and reading Frodo's numbers (not picking on ya buddy - just using ya as an example here), I wonder what the legal side of buying out of state insurance for a motorcycle here in Michigan would be? Ever heard of anyone actually doing that (basically avoiding paying into the "Michigan Fund" AND filing a successful claim with an out of state company (I am sure you can "buy" anything,, have it worth anything after ya buy and when ya need it might be a different story)?

Another interesting point about bike insurance,, to bad ya'll are stuck on riding all these fancy new machines,,,, ride a beat up ol 83,, stick on some Historic Plates (30 bucks/15 years), than cause its an antique - ya get wayyyyy cheaper insurance,, PLUS - and this is a big PLUS so read carefully - the old MK1's are (together in unison with me here ya'll) - FASTER!!

Got mine through Dairyland for $196 p/yr $100/300K w/$500 deductible. By far the cheapest for me - others were $300+. Amazing what the difference is from state to state/city to city.

ALL THIS CHATTER ABOUT INSURANCE (GOOD THREAD VENTUREFAR!!!),, MY NEW YEAR WISH FOR 2015 IS THAT NONE OF YOU HAVE THE NEED TO USE WHATEVER BIKE INSURANCE YOU CHOOSE TO CARRY!!

HAVE A FUN BUT SAFE RIDING SEASON EVERYONE!!

PUC

Edited by cowpuc