IGNORED

Connecticut says no to Slingshot

Freebird

OK so I had to look it up and see what I could find for helmet law in the communist state of Calif. This page is interesting. PUC it says your fine could have been anything from a "fix it fine of $10" to $250. I would post all the boring writing but dont want to take up the space. But it dont say nuttin about color choice. I know I know you paid it rather than haggle. I was the same way last year on one of them dang red light camera scams down here. I could fight it for about $100 or so, but if I lost it would have been way over $300. I dont get why it cost me $130 to prove I was right and then I'm out the cash. The court and lawyer is the only one making out on this deal. It was no points so heck I just paid the $158 and counted my lumps.

Hey if you got time this article is interesting to read. Its about the CHP and them going after "illegal" helmets and ticketing folks because the CHP "believed" the helmet to not measure up. So on the flip side, if the communist state of Calif says "XYZ" helmet is OK and you get a bump on the noggin, can you sue them because the helmet they say is good allowed you to get an injury?

WOW PUC never heard of that going on before. BUT we are talking about California, where they get $15 an hour for working in McD. SO white helmets are illegal in Calif?? What the hay? Is that stated on say the motorcycle aftermarket places selling helmets? "you can not buy a white helmet to operate a motorcycle in Calif" Whats next? You cant paint your bike black and white? I can understand if your state is non-helmet and theirs has helmets. But as long as its a DOT lid, now you tell me it has to be a certain color? YIKES sumtin fishy there

Well,, as always,, there's a lot more to it than words can describe DJ.. Traveling on Tweeks like we do leaves us and Tweeks open for human interpretation as it were,,, and police officers are only human beings with a hard job to do - I cant even IMAGINE being an LEO - especially in CA..

The officer who wrote us up and told both Tip and I that it was a no dollar "warning" ticket was actually a pretty decent guy.. He was a motorcycle officer.. We had just pushed Tweeks up the exit ramp off 99 in an out of gas situation,, filled her up.. We were standing by the pump yakking, I saw him drive thru and pointed/waved and said to Tip - LOOK CHIPS,, kinda loud.. He heard me, didnt bother waving back but parked his bike and walked over..

Sorta eye balled a couple of pretty dirty prospectors (just came in from camping/panning gold up near Kings Canyon) on a bike that,, looked more like a prospectors mule than a motorcycle:Laugh:

I didnt realize that he was serious about his comment about Tips helmet looking like one of their patrol issued helmets and I laughed when he said that (I have a REAL problem with an over active giggle nerve).. It wasnt till I saw the look on his face that I realized I had offended him..

Point being in all this,, and kinda getting us back on the discussion of the "legality" of doing something or riding something that may or may not be legal.. I have a very strong hunch that a LOT of it depends on the officer who has the tough job of deciding whether or not something is or isnt legal at any given moment in time..

Puc........... so what's the followup with your CA citation situation?

-Pete, in Tacoma WA USA

Went home, called the courthouse in Sac, they gave two choices to pay the fine - send check in mail (lady said there was a higher chance of payment getting lost in system so I chose second option) or go to some non-court electronic payment system - pay an extra 23 dollars to that company and pay it instantly.. I did that cause I didnt want anymore problems..

It wasnt over though... The warning was issued in August, heard nothing from them concerning matter until December and paid ticket at that time and recieved electronic confirmation that the 500 bucks was paid.. In March of next year I recieved another notice from Superior Court Of Sacramento that they had suspended my Michigan drivers license:crying:

Immediatly tried to call them, waited a couple hours on phone and could not get thru.. Called my Son in Law out in Sac to see if he would make a trip into town to check on it for me, he told me about a data base that they (no idea if this is California wide) use to keep track of Traffic Violations.. Went to this data base and sure nuff,, their was Puc the pirate still listed with a WHOLE bunch of other scallywags..

Got thru to the Court Clerk a couple days later,, found out I had been driving on a suspended license for almost 2 months!!! Was able to give confirmation info to clerk who said she would petition the court to release my license.. Few days later I checked that data base again and notice my name had disappeared from list:thumbsup2: Found our local part time officer here in Michigan, had him run my license and all was fine:dancefool:

OK so I had to look it up and see what I could find for helmet law in the communist state of Calif. This page is interesting. PUC it says your fine could have been anything from a "fix it fine of $10" to $250. I would post all the boring writing but dont want to take up the space. But it dont say nuttin about color choice. I know I know you paid it rather than haggle. I was the same way last year on one of them dang red light camera scams down here. I could fight it for about $100 or so, but if I lost it would have been way over $300. I dont get why it cost me $130 to prove I was right and then I'm out the cash. The court and lawyer is the only one making out on this deal. It was no points so heck I just paid the $158 and counted my lumps.

Hey if you got time this article is interesting to read. Its about the CHP and them going after "illegal" helmets and ticketing folks because the CHP "believed" the helmet to not measure up. So on the flip side, if the communist state of Calif says "XYZ" helmet is OK and you get a bump on the noggin, can you sue them because the helmet they say is good allowed you to get an injury?

Had I have known that we even had a problem, I would have been the first one in line at the court house while out there to settle up any wrong I had done,, problem was,, being after the fact, I would have had to make a trip to California from Michigan to find out what the law really was,, simply not worth it..

I know many folks look at Cali negatively,, I dont DJ.. Instead of that I try and view the out of state tickets I have gotten thru the years (California officers arent the only ones who write tickets :hurts:) or even the few not so friendly people I have ran across thru the years in a different light,, I look at it all from negatives vrs positives and I gotta say,, thus far my touring positives farrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr outweigh the negatives!!!

Will you still see me traveling California on a motorcycle,, you better believe it.. Will I get anymore tickets while doing so,, more likely than not (price of admission).. Will you catch Tippy or I wearing a white helmet while we do, nope NOT when the price of a can of paint at Walmart = $1.50 (I actually painted her helmet after the fact out there):clap2:

I get amused at the comments that it is a trike, it's not a trike, it's a car, it's not a car.......to be honest, I don't care WHAT you want to call it. I think it's just very cool and can't wait to try one out. Categorize it however you like just figure out a way to get them licensed and let people who like them enjoy them. :)

I get amused at the comments that it is a trike, it's not a trike, it's a car, it's not a car.......to be honest, I don't care WHAT you want to call it. I think it's just very cool and can't wait to try one out. Categorize it however you like just figure out a way to get them licensed and let people who like them enjoy them. :)

You nailed it Don.

Glad we could provide some amusment :)

" I don't get why it cost me $130 to prove I was right and then I'm out the cash. "

The courts are not free....they cost money to operate and are not totally funded by tax dollars..........that's why everyone pays something. In my area it costs $75 to go before a judge even for an obvious not guilty situation.

Consider yourself lucky it didn't cost more.

Kinda like going to a doctor when there's nothing wrong...........it still costs you.

-Pete, in Tacoma WA USA

I try hard NOT to go to Doc. (See Pucs thread) So its OK for LEO's to write a ticket and you fund the courts just to prove them wrong. Thats part of why I decided to just pay the ticket instead of fund the court and the lawyers boat payment. Like insurance, its the lesser of 2 evils I guess.

Too me it looks like a car. A 3 wheeled car, which is not really a new concept (history is full of of them) I remember seeing a few of them like the 1959 MESSERSCHMITT 1959 Messerschmitt KR-200 or the Isetta, 1959 BMW Isetta 300 3-wheel special when I was a kid.

Google 3 wheeled cars and click on images and there is a whole slew of them. https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search;_ylt=A0LEVjDgs5lUZjEAy1wPxQt.?p=3+wheeled+cars&fr=&fr2=piv-web&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-001

Edited by saddlebum