IGNORED

Pulled a Freebird today- but I still have my mower..

Eck

Well, not exactly, but had my day of fun on my john Deere riding mower today..It didnt end up in a pond........Ha..but ended up on me..

I was cutting grass with my John Deere lawn tractor today. Drove it up the steep angled hill to the storm shelter door, stopped, put it in reverse to back straight down, and guess what.. no brakes....I couldn't believe how fast that dang thing started going backwards and knowing the neighbors wooden fence is fast approaching, I had no choice but to turn the wheel. That's all she wrote as the tractor rolled over on me.. next thing I know I'm seeing stars from my head hitting the ground and Im about to pass out. Seeing stars at 9:30am in Alabama time, I knew I was in a pickle..but luckily I didnt go out completely.

My back and neck are both now in sever pain and I realize I have all this weight on me and it didn't take long to figure out that I'm under the mower. Thank God John Deere has a safety switch on the seat that shut the mower off when my butt left the seat..

I couldn't yell for all the pain I was in, but was able to somehow push upward on the mower with my left foot and pulled my right foot out of my tennis shoe and my leg out from underneath the mower. I'm free, but the pain is coming on strong now. I had to slowly crawl on my hands and knees up to the house nearly passing out 4 times. Each time I just laid down in the yard as stars were lighting up my sky.. When I got to the back porch, I sat down in the lawn chair. Weak as I could be and dizzy as all get out. I reached over and banged on the door and my wife finally opens the door where I then told her I need help. I was able to get into our Avalanche and off she drove me to the hospital. No sooner left the house and I realized we should have taken an ambulance. Sitting up was not good..So next they bring a hospital bed outside to the truck and lay me on it. After some questions and starting an IV, I'm off to get an MRI. Results showed nothing was broke.

They gave me 3 milligrams of Dilaudid pain medicine in my IV. I asked the Dr what the stuff was, and he said a pain sedative and that Dilaudid is 7 times more powerful than Morpheen, so after getting say, 21 mil-grams of Morpheen I had no pain..

I have been sleeping most all day since I got back home from hospital.. Filled a script for more pain killers and Muscle relaxers.

You an bet your last buck that I will never cut that hill on the riding mower again. Never...

I was in so much pain I really thought I broke my back. and my neck.

Dr said I will be very sore for a little while but should be OK.....

I just took a muscle relaxer so I will be back in bed soon......

WOW Eck!!! When you mess up you do a bang-up job of it. :no-no-no: Sorry for the pun. :rasberry:

I do wish you a speedy recovery thou. Having been around all manner od mowers and tractors at the golf courses I've seen more than a couple rollovers or runaway insincedents with them. Never a good outcome for either operators or equipment.

Hope you don't run out of those meds too soon as you may need them a while.

Larry

Reasons not to circumvent the safety features, glad you are ok, thoughts of a rollover bar. . . we used to mow a steep hill and had counter weights and a bar that extended with wheels to help prevent rollover. I never liked mowing like that and I'm not sure who if anyone ever rolled the tractor did but it was scary stuff. When your instructions start with that side always faces uphill, don't ever get off on the hill, but if if you do get off you must go off on the uphill side. I knew someone before me had a bad day.

heal quickly

Sorry to hear of your misfortune, wishing you a expeditious rehabilitation.

How bad did it mess up the mower?

I think Joe should volunteer to finish cutting Eck's grass for that heartless comment,,,,,,, after all,, EVERYONE knows that John Deer equipment is indestructable!!!

WOW Eck, that is terrible!! Wishing you a complete and full recovery from your injuries!! Thankfully you didnt have a leaf sucker trailer with a load of leafs on it behind you to finish you off!! :backinmyday:

Cant imagine something 7x the horsepower of Morh... They stuck me on morphine for a while after some back injuries, I remember laying in my hospital bed after surgery and watching these little soccer players playing soccer where some plants were suppose to be setting... Kinda funny till the stuff wore off:whistling:

Careful with those pain meds my friend,, they are real easy to get hooked on!!

Glad you are ok and it was not worse.

Whether I am mowing, working out in the garage by myself or riding, I have my cell with me. It is too easy to get in trouble and not have access to help at your fingertips. When my grandson Shane had his motorcycle crash, and being out of the view of traffic, I have no doubt that he would not have made it without his cell. He had to have about six units of blood immediately and altogether received 18 units.

Is your lawn tractor hydrostatic drive?

RandyA

.....Whether I am mowing, working out in the garage by myself or riding, I have my cell with me. It is too easy to get in trouble and not have access to help at your fingertips.

Such great advice Randy..!!!

When I was laying in the hospital, I told my wife , that if I'm able to after this ordeal, that I will ALWAYS carry my cell phone on me outside (and inside).

It wont matter if Im only going to the mail box, or whatever I will be doing..

You are sooooo correct..If I would have had my cell phone on me it sure would have made it a lot easier to call my wife to get outside and help me. I could have called my neighbor too to come over and pull this heavy mower off me. Even 911.......

Thanks!

Eck