IGNORED

What's your go/no go criteria?

shmily

20 to 30 means you "might" encounter a "little bit"of rain.

I had that 2 weekends ago. Leader on a wing with t-shirt and a vest. Second had a vest only. Third had a helmet and a t-shirt, and I brought up the rear ATGATT. Helmet, kevlar jeans, coat, gloves.

We hit 3 different spots of rain and it made no difference to any of us. Nobody got really wet, and if we did, by the end of the ride, we were dry. Go out and ride in it, experience it and come out the other side better for having done it.

Course, we were heading back home west to east and we out-ran that storm, for the most part.

60% and below I ride without question. Nowadays with weather radar on your phone you can steer around most storms and big rain. Don't be scared, even if you have to wait out a major system just consider it part of the MC experience. As stated though, have rain gear on you just in case:fingers-crossed-emo

I never knew if 20% chance meant that 20% of the area had 100% chance of rain, or 100% of the area had 20% chance of rain. :confused07:

It is my understanding that approximately 20% of the time that there is those given weather characteristics, temperature, dew point, winds, etc., there will be rain. This is why that it may be spotty rain, as those known characteristics do not always produce rain in any given area.

Around here, with the mountains that we have, it is very common that as the air moves across the mountains, it will change one or more of those characteristics and the probability or chance of rain will go up.

RandyA

I'm heading out on an 8 hour ride soon. The weather forecast for various cities along the route is for 20 to 30 percent chance of rain along the entire route.

Would you ride or take the cage?

I'd ride that means a 70-80 percent of no rain:thumbsup2:

Plus the weather men are wrong 50 percent if the time

I would ride 20-30% you will probably not get too wet if at all, however it depends on your comfort level do not ride if you do not think it is safe for you to do so. Another item you may want to look at is it 20-30% chance of rain or is it for severe weather? Rain is one thing lightning and high winds are another.

My go No go rules.

Ice and/or snow............................No way

Tornado warning ...........................Maybe (The last thing on my bucket list is to ride the bike into a tornado to see what the ride would be like.)

more than 70 % chance of rain......... Probably not

Less than 70 % chance of rain......... Pack the rain gear

Less than 20% chance of rain.......... I left 12 hours ago

Hotter than 100 degrees................. suit up with the frozen bandanas

Colder than 30 degrees .................. Suit up with layers topped off with leathers, Don't forget the gloves.

I've had many a memorable moment huddled under a bridge somewhere, BSing with other bikers while waiting for the storm to pass.

But, That's just my rule:7_6_3[1]:

My rain gear is always packed on the bike. Living in Central Fla thats just the way it is. 30% chance is 70% you miss. The way the weather man has described it here lately is that 30% of viewing area may get wet. Here lately ther can not be a cloud in the sky and I take bike down to Wally World for something and I'll get rained on before I get home. And its a 5 min drive. :confused24:

A trip around town here if it looks bad I probably wont ride. If its a big trip say vacation I would prefer not to ride in rain, but OH well. Just be safe, if its a down pour and you cant see the road or your ridding on a road you should have a canoe instead, stop awhile.

My go No go rules.

Ice and/or snow............................No way

Tornado warning ...........................Maybe (The last thing on my bucket list is to ride the bike into a tornado to see what the ride would be like.)

more than 70 % chance of rain......... Probably not

Less than 70 % chance of rain......... Pack the rain gear

Less than 20% chance of rain.......... I left 12 hours ago

Hotter than 100 degrees................. suit up with the frozen bandanas

Colder than 30 degrees .................. Suit up with layers topped off with leathers, Don't forget the gloves.

I've had many a memorable moment huddled under a bridge somewhere, BSing with other bikers while waiting for the storm to pass.

But, That's just my rule:7_6_3[1]:

Except for the tornado...yeah, that. I've BEEN too close to a tornado when I worked at a grain elevator in my misspent youth, and that's not an intentional option. 12-15 miles to work depending on how I go...for the most part if it's not raining when I leave, I'm riding. On a trip, might as well just plan on wearing the rain gear some time.

I'm a simple man. Therefore simple rules.

1. Temp: 3C (38F) or more during the entire period of my ride.

A lot of the bridges in my riding area have a sign "CAUTION, BRIDGE FREEZES BEFORE ROAD". If the temp stays above 3C bridge shouldn't freeze - therefore no ice.

2. Precipitation: Don't care. That's what appropriate clothing is for.

3. Wind: >100kmh (62 mph) I stay off the highway. Lower, don't care.

4. Traffic: 138db air horn to warn the inattentive. If I have to kick a dent in your door, you obviously didn't hear the horn...

5. Fuel, Tim Horton's tea, washroom: Every 250km (155mi) or less.

On the ride to Galena last year, I rode through fourteen hours of rain to leave florida. The second day better then three miles was heavy rain and one storm warning near Columbus Georgia packing winds of 70 mph and hail coming in from the northwest , so we beat feet straight north to get away from the storms. Got very wet. Better weather in Alabama

But yes will ride in pouring rain. It's those darn lighting strikes that scare the s*** out of me

If I want to ride that day, or I have somewhere to go I'll suit up with my rain gear (I keep it in the trunk) and just go, I have a Bell M8 helmet with a flip down clear shield for rainy days in the trunk too. I live in Michigan and if I waited for that perfect sunny warm day, I'd get to ride 5 times a year :stickinouttounge: