IGNORED

Clutch slipping - upgrade help needed

I'm experiencing clutch slippage when getting hard on the throttle in 4th gear on my '07 RSV. Have about 63,000 kms on it which appears typical based on the posts here.

Based on the various posts the Clutch Upgrade Kit from skydoc_17 is the proven solution but my mechanical abilities are limited to oil changes. Is there anyone in southern Ontario that has done the upgrade successfully and would be willing to help with this procedure?

Thanks

Mover, I hate that 84 folks have looked at your thread and not responded yet. Must not be anybody close to you that can help. However, I'm responding to tell you that the clutch kit install is super easy. I did it on my 07 RSTD last year and it was a piece of cake. Skydoc will walk you through it if you contact him.

Just trying to help.

Like Big Lenny said !

This is a very easy thing to do. Skydocs kit comes with complete information on how to do this and is bullet proof. I´ve done this three times and had no problems at all. There are no adjustments to be made - this is simply a bolt out - bolt in job. I think the most time consuming work is removing the old gasket from the cover and the housing. Has to be very clean befiore installing the new gasket to prevent leaking. Also tightening torques should be done according to the specs. Note that the torque for the new spring is very low - don´t over tighten it !

Just dig into it and take it one step at a time. We will all be here if you need guidance !

Looks like that's a next winter job for me. Before I get to that point. Drats.

I have done it on different bikes and it is not a bad job if you own even a basic set of tools. I'll second the PITA with the gasket removal. Think you do want to use a torque wrench on things. And hopefully when you do it you need an oil change anyways. Not sure about this bike, but others I have done had different length bolts so use a old cardboard box to draw an outline of the case and put the bolts in holes on the outline to keep them in order. And don't cross thread anything of course. You can do this!

I also am kind of far for you. you would be going right past a lot of members to get here.

The clutch spring job takes about a half hour once you have done it before. The first time should be about an hour if you are working alone. The nice thing is that if the bike is on the side stand, you do not even need to drain the oil first.

If you have several experienced members helping then it should only take 2-3 hours maybe even a whole day. :beer: :group cheers: :stirthepot:

I agree with all the previous comments. I installed the Skydoc clutch upgrade kit this year with RogerII looking over my shoulder. If you do not find another member to help. Contact Skydoc ahead of time to see that he is available and go for it! Great confidence booster! You will need a small torque wrench and a set of Allen wrenches.

It will help to avoid slippage if you make sure you're spinning plenty of r.p.m.'s when accelerating in 4th or 5th gear. In other words, avoid "lugging" the motor. Unfortunately, my bike will be staying close to home for a couple of weeks or so till my new shock comes in (A problem you may have by around 100,000 km or so.). The job is really quite easy and skydoc provides a good set of instructions. I did mine last year and the only hard part was getting all the ^%&$#% gasket material scraped off the cover! You can even avoid removing the muffler and exhaust pipe on that side (To get at the lower bolt) by grinding down the head on an allen wrench. If you could get down to the Hamilton area (We have members around there) I could get up there to help you, although some of the members in that area could do it as well. Don't be afraid to try --just follow the instructions and work slowly. We'll find some way to give you a hand! Maybe on Skype with a web cam on the job?

Andy

Hey Mover,

At 63K kms you have done better than most before that "wimpy" stock clutch started to slip. Thank you everyone for the kind words about the kit I offer in the Classifieds. This is a very simple kit to install compared to others I've seen. Depending on how long it has been slipping will determine weather you will just need the Heavy Duty Spring Kit, or will need to replace the friction discs. Here is the link to the Second Gen. Clutch Spring Kit I offer:

http://www.venturerider.org/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=3763&title=second-genheavy-duty-clutch-spring-upgrade-kit-21&cat=22

And here is the link for the 7 new Genuine Yamaha Clutch Friction Discs:

http://www.venturerider.org/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=3854&title=first-and-second-gen7-new-genuine-yamaha-clutch-friction-discs-21&cat=22

This project is done on the side stand, and you will loose very little if any oil during the install. You will need one quart of engine oil to soak the clutch friction discs in before the install.

This is an excellent project to make a new friend with. Also, I will send you a link to complete written instructions with color pics of the install. I also include my personal email address and cell phone number in case you run into a snag during the install.

This is the fix for your slipping clutch, and a way to meet some of the members of this excellent forum. Good luck with this project! :thumbsup2:

Earl

I installed skydoc's clutch spring and I replaced the other disc also. I am not mechanically inclined so I was concerned. I printed the two write ups that are on this site showing how to replace the clutch. On of the write ups is for using the barnett clutch. Even though I didn't use the barnett clutch there are some good pictures that will help with skydoc's clutch. I surprised myself. The clutch replacement is easy and just like the pictures show.

I'm in Southern Ontario just south of Hamilton.. I've done a few clutch upgrades on 1st gens and basically they are the same so I'd be happy to give you a hand.. I have all the tools we will need but it's a ways from Bellville to Caledonia.. It really is not difficult. You're call.

I did a quick scan of this thread and may have missed this...are you using motorcycle oil or car oil? One of the reasons auto oil is not recommended for bimes whi shared sumps is the milage improvement additives used in some auto oils will cuase clutch slippage. as will oil additivies with moly in them. so do not over look that as a possible contributor.

options to MC oils is desiel engine oil which have the zinc and phospurous levels you find in MC oil and desel oil is pretty abundant.

• 3 weeks later...

Well clutch upgrade has been completed. :) This task is easy to do with a great tutor and the right tools. Thanks to Wizard765 for the great tutoring and tools. Thanks to skydoc_17 for the upgrade kit.

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone... since this thread is fresh I rather ask my question here than to start a new one.

My 05 RSMV has only 12K miles on it. I bought it less than 60 days ago. Last weekend I went to Ocean City, MD Bike Fest and in my way home I wanted to test top speed of this bike. I know this is not a super fast cruiser... so please bear with my idiotic need to test top speed. I still have my RS Warrior and the change has been dramatic for me, even though I love this bike.

The point is that when I was doing around 120 (max of the speedo, which in reality is around 115mph) at that point the clutch started slipping. I said Oh men what I have done?... well now after that day every time I try to roll hard on 4th gear or 5th to pass a car or something, the clutch start slipping.

Did I damage the discs for putting the bike is such stress:fingers-crossed-emo? Is there anything I can do besides replace the clutch. I am mechanically inclined... but also in on the learning process... so any help will be highly appreciated..http://www.venturerider.org/forum/images/smilies/confused07.gif

Only 12k miles and you think the clutch is slipping? Granted the bike is 9 years old so wasn't used much over the years but unless the previous owner was really bad on the clutch when shifting, I can't see the clutch going so soon.

Just a thought...do you have a tach on the bike? I'd like to know what the rpm was when you were at 120mph. Were you hitting the rev limiter? Rev limiter kicks in at 6200rpm.

I can tell you for a fact that I never hit the rev limiter in 4th or 5th gear on the RSV. I hit that mark a couple of times and even downshifted to 4th at about 115 with no problem. With the stock rear end, my '99 would run faster in 4th than it would in 5th. Never tried it with the VMax rear.

Only 12k miles and you think the clutch is slipping? Granted the bike is 9 years old so wasn't used much over the years but unless the previous owner was really bad on the clutch when shifting, I can't see the clutch going so soon.

Just a thought...do you have a tach on the bike? I'd like to know what the rpm was when you were at 120mph. Were you hitting the rev limiter? Rev limiter kicks in at 6200rpm.

XV1100SE... I don't think is slipping... it definitely is slipping... no doubt. Im the second owner and the previous owner was what it looked into my eyes like a calm man... around 65 year old or so...

I dont have a tach on my bike.... and I didnt hit the rev limeter.... I am pretty sure I has to be what skydoc_17 says on his ad... it got to be the CLUTCH BASKET DIAPHRAGM SPRING...

I also have a 1999 Honda ACE Shadow 750 (my wife's bike) with the same issue...

Again... I have only put less than 700 miles on the bike... but is definitely slipping...