IGNORED

job hunting not so good

pmelah

hey all just wanted to say im about to move up to birmingham al i have been looking and filling out job apps all over the place here and nothing so far even dishwasing jobs are scarece believe that. it has been a very hard 2 months since my unemployment exhasted and only after 6 months but what can you do nothing i guess anyway i know something will pop up just wish it was now :confused24: well i have sold just about everthing i own just to survive now i have to move on so it will be hit aand miss coming on here to see whats new with everybody oh still havent heard from toyota with a start date yet :fingers-crossed-emohoping its real soon i cant stand waiting for them but in the mean time still looking everywhere else ok enough about that thaks for letting me rant its been very depressing lately look on the bright side only 6 more weeks then spring will be here thats next week for some of us and for others that started the other day :shock3:

Hey Pmelah,,, couple things to try (you probably already have),, if you have a College/University in your area do a little digging there - most of them have a "Career Resources Center" that will post local jobs on a board or have a list of job openings somewhere..

Another resource use to be the unemployment office,, even if you weren't drawing unemployment, if you were looking for a job they had lists of folks looking to hire (not sure of this one - unemployment offices may not even exist anymore..)..

:080402gudl_prv: in your search!!!

Puc

I was vastly disapointed last year when I got the info my company was "reorganizing". I took the deal as I figured if I wasnt gone in the first set of cuts I would probably be in subsaquint cuts. $8hr is average around here and $10 is a "good" paying job. Really? How do you make a house payment, elec, ins groceries etc on $400 before tax? Well I think my company figured out they boo boo'd because they asked me to come back for 1 yr and "help" them thru the transition and get same package at end of 2014. But I'm still not looking forward to the job hunt thing. Especially in this job enviroment. There just aint nothing it seems.

Hope thing work out quickly for you.:080402gudl_prv:

Paul,

Try doing some job searches in the Detroit, Michigan area, I have seen several job offers looking for workers in your field. It's not the sunny south but there is work up here. Most everything is contract work though, none of the companies want to direct hire because of the healthcare debacle that plagues the nation at this time.

GM, Ford & Chrysler have been hiring. Take a look at the career postings on their corporate web sites.

Submit your resume to Michigan Works Talent Bank.

Google Michigan works, there are talent banks for every area of the state.

Good luck with your job search.

Paul good luck in your search and in your move. Since our steel mill closed here in Utah in 2001 I have going from job to job looking for something as good but have yet to find anything other then sales,which I did pretty good at. I know your pain and send up a prayer for you in your journey.

If you dont mind COLD, SNOW, and WIND, Aberdeen SD claims they have lots of jobs available. I would also check out Watertown SD. and Sioux Falls SD. Sioux Falls is the biggest city, about 100,000 people. Watertown, and Aberdeen are about 25,000 people. They are nice communities, and have that country feel about them. Just last year Aberdeen was running an add saying that there were 1000 jobs available in the area.

Lots of outdoor stuff to do, hunting and fishing. Pheasants, duck and goose, deer. Walleye, perch, and northern pike.

most important, Sturgis is only about 5 hours away........

Just looked at the local Aberdeen SD newspaper classifieds......281 jobs listed there. Alot of them are farm related scattered around the northeast part of the state. Some manufacturing jobs as well. alot of hospital openings, and some auto body jobs at car dealer. Hope this helps.....I am sure there are more in the area, you would have to check south dakota dept. of labor website.

Edited by bj66

I work for a Teledyne, which is a large growing company that spans many industries, I would highly recommend that anyone looking for work in a technical field check out their web site at http://www.teledyne.com/, there are 4 divisions and some companies serve more than one division, so you need to look at all of the various web sites for each company to be sure you see all of the oppurtunities.

I do not hold any sway with any of them, and I cannot accept your resume if you send it to me, all aplications must be posted to the company web sites.

Teledyne typically pays above the area norm, I know they do here in Daytona.

Dion if you are not stuck on staying in Sebring, Daytona is pretty nice area.

Anyone in or around Huntsville, Teledyne Brown Engineering is almost alwats got opening of some type. Just to name a few that I am familar with.

Good luck to all in the hunt for work.

Hey Pmelah,,, couple things to try (you probably already have),, if you have a College/University in your area do a little digging there - most of them have a "Career Resources Center" that will post local jobs on a board or have a list of job openings somewhere..

Another resource use to be the unemployment office,, even if you weren't drawing unemployment, if you were looking for a job they had lists of folks looking to hire (not sure of this one - unemployment offices may not even exist anymore..)..

:080402gudl_prv: in your search!!!

Puc

thanks Puc i do go to the local collages and one of the major universities to check almost every other day they cant do much for me since im not a student but the staff do try to help everyone that comes in seems they are better than the employment office wich i do have a few choice words for everytime i go there :225::stirthepot::stirthepot:they dont like me because of my attitude i told them if they would quit looking at people as if they were less then them and do thier job by helping people find a job they might see less attitudes and more friendly people

Best I can do is pray for you Paul...

thanks Bob thats all i can ask for is prayers

Sorry to hear about your job search so far. Hopefully something comes up soon.

im not giving up still waiting on Toyota but they work in there own little stange way the begining of jan they did bring in 30 new people who had been waiting a year so hopefully i will be called in with the next group

Try http://www.indeed.com you can target the area and jobs you are looking for. They will email you job alerts that match your criteria.

im registerd on indeed i got the app on my non working phone but wifi still works so i can open the app and look i also get daily email updates from them as well as all the other sites like careerbuilder beyond.com to name a few

Paul,

Try doing some job searches in the Detroit, Michigan area, I have seen several job offers looking for workers in your field. It's not the sunny south but there is work up here. Most everything is contract work though, none of the companies want to direct hire because of the healthcare debacle that plagues the nation at this time.

GM, Ford & Chrysler have been hiring. Take a look at the career postings on their corporate web sites.

Submit your resume to Michigan Works Talent Bank.

Google Michigan works, there are talent banks for every area of the state.

Good luck with your job search.

i dont like the cold and snow :no-no-no::whistling:i moved down here to get away from shoveling the walk and digging the car out 2 or 3 times a day :rotf: i love riding the bike every day only missed 2 days here because the roads iced over and we are not equiped to handle it but i will bite the bullet and deal with the cold for a good paying job reguardless of where its at i just wont move to work for minimume wage some place i dont know the area i know beggers cant be choosers but if im going to fall on my face like i have already done here and this is the 2nd time around i would like to be where im comfortable and know my suroundings as is i dont have rent lights water or anything like that to pay i just have to keep gas in the bike and eat every couple of days oh and a hot shower every other day :whistling: im loading the page now to check it out maybe i could go to work for one of the big 3 who knows i would just have to get some heated gear and do they make snow tires for the bike :confused24: thanks ragtop69gs i will check it out

Let me know if you want some feelers over here in Texas.

yes that would be great my brother is checking out birmingham area for me as well i think Texas would be better as its warmer in Houston tan birmingham and as long as i dont have to cheer for the longhorns orTexas A & M im good Alabama is where its at :stirthepot::stirthepot::whistling::rotf::rotf::rotf:

Plenty of Jobs in Omaha! NE.

Our company has been looking for skilled workers for quite a while. There are even job fairs from time to time.

i always thought of Omaha as bing flat and landlocked i tend to like very large bodies of water close by but its pretty country there been throug there a few times i will check that area out as well

Paul good luck in your search and in your move. Since our steel mill closed here in Utah in 2001 I have going from job to job looking for something as good but have yet to find anything other then sales,which I did pretty good at. I know your pain and send up a prayer for you in your journey.

thank you

If you dont mind COLD, SNOW, and WIND, Aberdeen SD claims they have lots of jobs available. I would also check out Watertown SD. and Sioux Falls SD. Sioux Falls is the biggest city, about 100,000 people. Watertown, and Aberdeen are about 25,000 people. They are nice communities, and have that country feel about them. Just last year Aberdeen was running an add saying that there were 1000 jobs available in the area.

Lots of outdoor stuff to do, hunting and fishing. Pheasants, duck and goose, deer. Walleye, perch, and northern pike.

most important, Sturgis is only about 5 hours away........

Just looked at the local Aberdeen SD newspaper classifieds......281 jobs listed there. Alot of them are farm related scattered around the northeast part of the state. Some manufacturing jobs as well. alot of hospital openings, and some auto body jobs at car dealer. Hope this helps.....I am sure there are more in the area, you would have to check south dakota dept. of labor website.

checking it out... and you say 5 hrs to sturgis that must be on a hardley or a 2nd gen:stirthepot::stirthepot::confused24::rotf::rotf::rotf: i wonder how many duck i can fit in the saddlebags i know ther deer would be to big to tie on the rack of the trunk never had pheasnt or goose and sorry i dont fish anymore i got tired of feeding the theives they always steel my bait:confused24::rotf::rotf::rotf:

I work for a Teledyne, which is a large growing company that spans many industries, I would highly recommend that anyone looking for work in a technical field check out their web site at http://www.teledyne.com/, there are 4 divisions and some companies serve more than one division, so you need to look at all of the various web sites for each company to be sure you see all of the oppurtunities.

I do not hold any sway with any of them, and I cannot accept your resume if you send it to me, all aplications must be posted to the company web sites.

Teledyne typically pays above the area norm, I know they do here in Daytona.

Dion if you are not stuck on staying in Sebring, Daytona is pretty nice area.

Anyone in or around Huntsville, Teledyne Brown Engineering is almost alwats got opening of some type. Just to name a few that I am familar with.

Good luck to all in the hunt for work.

oh wow i just looked and they are out of my league im a grunt that worked my way up the ladder not much on the smarts just going to the school of hard knocks and hard life like most of us but im still in it i keep flunking for some reason:confused24::rotf::rotf: i am way under qualified to do anything for teledyne those companies they list all teledyne look like you need a 4 year degree just to push the broom around. that is my biggest down fall most jobs that i can do and have experiance in they want people with degrees in those fields engenering design and what not i do need to get a degree but what takes most people 2 years for an acc. degree will take me 4 im slow but do pick it up eventually but i also have to have an adress to reg. and do the entrance exam to get in school thats a work in progress to.

thanks everybody for the possible leads and tips i will check them all out and go where ever the job is as they say follow the money

Around here, the only way to get into a place is through the head hunters, as a temp to direct. You will start as a temp for the first 90 days or so and then if you are doing a good job you will get a permanent job offer from the company you are working at. If you are not doing a good job, then the company can let you go with no strings attached.

I'm in the same boat as you to a degree, I do not have a degree but have been working as an engineer for the last 36 years. I have found that smaller companies are less impressed by a degree than they are by ability and experience. Most of the companies that I have worked for are small enough to not have an HR department. Where I am at now I am the whole engineering dept.

i do fire protection fire safety consultsnt i service and install fireextinguishers and com kitchen fire suppresion systems i have installed a few clean agent systems in server rooms and such i also design them i still have my ansul system program so i can design from ground up but i also have great news i have an interview tomorrow with a management co. here its not what i was doing but it the first interview i have been called for since june when i had to test for toyota in tupelo ms :fingers-crossed-emoand keep the prayers coming if anything it will be a job i can always look for another one when i get this one but in the mean time i will give them my all and do the best i can for them

the interview went great my resume was put in the short stack and an astric was put on it they are looking for a few people its direct tv sattelite sales i have done sales before but the product sold itself fire extingushers have a habot of doing that but this will be a new learning experiance the 2nd round of interviews will actually be in the field them checking to see if i would be a good fit and if i will like it and stay with the company i have no problem taking on this challange as i need a job so i can eat and am willing to learn so now to wait for the 2nd phone call i do look forward to this and if i were to fail it will still be a good learning experiance :fingers-crossed-emo:fingers-crossed-emo

your right bill i did not think of that but as i was walking out of the office it was cold out side 33 degrees so i stalled to put my leather jacket and carhart jacket over it so i could easdrop on the confrence call they were having and it was conserning price increases from all of the competitors how they went up 3% across the board cable and other sattelite co. and direct only increased price by 1% so that was helpfull