IGNORED

Lets go back to where it all began..

cowpuc

Saved my paper route money back when I was a kid and bought a 1957 Sears Allstate Moped,,, that was Pucs first bike.. I still have the frame to it in the basement...

This followed me home yesterday!! Got most of the missing parts to actually build up my old 1st bike!!!

Even has the original 2 speed shifter on the bars WITH the original grips!! I even got er fired up!! Cool eay!:cool10::cool10:

Makes me wonder what all my buddies on Venturerider started on??:stirthepot:

Keep Smilin

Puc

DSCN2509.JPG

DSCN2512.JPG

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great find :thumbsup:

I Started on a little mini bike when I was 4 got it for Christmas.

Cool! Any idea what brand?? Remember alllllll the different brands of minibikes there were back in the late 60's?

Of course, my moped would outrun them all,,, unless little Joey figured out how to over ride the governor - than it was all over... :stirthepot:

This brought back memories. I started on a mini bike, but the first "bike was a 1967 Honda P50 Moped I actually had 2. A red one and a blue one. It was a rear engine, peddle to start, peddle for extra "umph". Pulled a great wheelie since the gas tank and the engine was in the rear. Used it as a "dirt" bike. Finally collapsed the center after taking a jump. Wish I still had one of those it would be a cool little conversation piece. :sun:

My first street legal bike was a Honda CB360T, red. Just saw one totally restored riding around town.

Honda%2520P50.png

Edited by KIC

Cool! Any idea what brand?? Remember alllllll the different brands of minibikes there were back in the late 60's?

Of course, my moped would outrun them all,,, unless little Joey figured out how to over ride the governor - than it was all over... :stirthepot:

It did not take me long to figure out how the govener worked, I went through alot of clutches. The engine was a Techumson and I think it may have been a Sears and Roebuck item. I owned several bikes inbetween that one and my first street legal bike which was a 125 Yamah Enduro (would love to find one) the bike may have been street legal but I was not.

Edited by etcswjoe

the bike may have been street legal but I was not.

Now THAT was the story of my life as a kid!!:rotf::rotf::rotf:

By the time I got old enough to get a drivers license the Juvenile Court Judge and I were very well aquainted :rotf: His last words to me were "Scott, I am not suppose to allow you to get your DL but I am tired of looking at you"...

NICE STORIES FOLKS and GREAT PICS!!!!!! :cool10:

Yup, that Allstate Moped was what got me started too ... but I never bought one.

I was 10 at the time (1957) and we lived in a hydro camp way up in northern Ontario. Several of the workers at the dam had those to travel back and forth to the job site from the living area. Us kids would sneak out at night and go joy riding LOL!! what a blast!!

It was a Suzuki Trail Hopper 50 that I got when i was 8yrs old that started me down this path.

After I got married in 1982, I abandoned motorcycles for 25 years and went through a series of 3 and 4 wheeled atv's to satisfy the toy urge.

After getting all of the kids raised and out of the house, 5 years ago I got back into motorcycling with the RSTD, and it has been a total renewing of life for my wife and I. We love getting on Red (the RSTD) and just letting the road take us wherever. Truly clears the mind. I hope I never abandon motorcycles again.

http://ts2.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4833471422267639&pid=15.1&w=169&h=126&p=0

I got a Ducati 125 Bronco just like this one about four months before I turned 14 on June 1st, 1964. It had the candy apple red tank. I was at my girlfriends house one Sunday evening and when we came home from church, it was gone. I had a good idea who stole it, but could not prove it. It was found in a river after being thrown off a bridge. I got it back and ended up completely taking it apart and cleaning all the mud and mica out of it. I put it back together and rode it for a few more years. In retrospect, that helped a lot in my learning about bikes and mechanics at an early age.

The guy that stole it came to an untimely death a few years later with a 12 gauge shotgun to the chest, but that's another story. :whistling:

RandyA

Got this when I turned 15. 60 something Honda 90, don't remember the year. Had a blast on it. Rode it to school and used it as a dirt bike even though it wasn't one. Then got a Yamaha 100. It set out in shed for several years and was not running. Had an Uncle took it and got it running again and rode it for several years. He sold it.

1960s Honda 90.jpg

Here was my first one. My brother and I actually shared this first one. Not for long though. I bought my own shortly thereafter. This was a Honda S90. We shared it for a couple of months and then I bought a Harley 250 Sprint and the 90 became fully his. I think I was 14 at the time.

reds90-1stb (8).jpg

66h.jpg

Started on this go-cart in 1960 at age 5.

We had a 1/4 mile dirt track in back of property.

My dad, older brother and myself each had a cart, much better than this basic one. I was youngest and much lighter than dad or brother. I could whip them on straights, but turns were tougher. Bent many axles on carts from aggressive cornering. My brother went to a dual motor setup to help accelerate and catch me on straights.

Brother and myself ended up being stupid fearless on motorcycles, that came from old man some how. He was a dirt track racer, sponsored by Triumph in the 40's.

Gary

Asked my parents for a motorcycle for my 13th birthday. My mother said no way they are to dangerous and we will not buy you one so you can go out and get hurt, OR?!........

I said if they wouldn't buy me one, I'd save my money & buy one myself! My father said well I guess if you can come up with the money and buy one yourself, we can't do much about that. But your mother just worries about you being safe.

The next morning my Dad got up for work and came into my room and told me it was time to get up. ( My birthday is in August and I was on summer vacation.) I said why do I have to get up? He said you want a motorcycle don't you? Well your coming to work at the plant with me, I got you a job for the rest of the summer.

I worked the rest of that summer and the next and started into the 3rd. He took all my pay except a couple of bucks a week and that 3rd summer when I was 15 he took me to the Honda dealer outside of town and pointed me to this.....

[ATTACH]79810[/ATTACH]

He said you bought that! I know your mother won't like it. So for your birthday we'll buy you a real good full-face helmet. But there is one thing before you can ride it.....we will pay for, but you have to pass, a motorcycle safety course. Now don't get yourself killed cause your mother will never let me hear the end of it and I'll have to kill you, I know you'd be dead but I will find a way! Happy birthday!

What I learned on that course, has stuck with me all these years and I know served me well and helped in keeping me safe.

MAN OH MAN do I miss him!

It has been a total renewing of life for my wife and I. We love getting on Red (the RSTD) and just letting the road take us wherever.

TOOK THE WORDS RIGHT OUT OF MY MOUTH!!!!!!!!

Asked my parents for a motorcycle for my 13th birthday. My mother said no way they are to dangerous and we will not buy you one so you can go out and get hurt, OR?!........

I said if they wouldn't buy me one, I'd save my money & buy one myself! My father said well I guess if you can come up with the money and buy one yourself, we can't do much about that. But your mother just worries about you being safe.

The next morning my Dad got up for work and came into my room and told me it was time to get up. ( My birthday is in August and I was on summer vacation.) I said why do I have to get up? He said you want a motorcycle don't you? Well your coming to work at the plant with me, I got you a job for the rest of the summer.

I worked the rest of that summer and the next and started into the 3rd. He took all my pay except a couple of bucks a week and that 3rd summer when I was 15 he took me to the Honda dealer outside of town and pointed me to this.....

[ATTACH]79810[/ATTACH]

He said you bought that! I know your mother won't like it. So for your birthday we'll buy you a real good full-face helmet. But there is one thing before you can ride it.....we will pay for, but you have to pass, a motorcycle safety course. Now don't get yourself killed cause your mother will never let me hear the end of it and I'll have to kill you, I know you'd be dead but I will find a way! Happy birthday!

What I learned on that course, has stuck with me all these years and I know served me well and helped in keeping me safe.

MAN OH MAN do I miss him!

What the heck, am I your shadow or something??

WOW, what great stories!!!

Edited by cowpuc

The 1st motorized bikes we rode were mini bikes from Montgomery Wards. My buddies dad worked there and they would just toss all the old stuff or defective ones away. We would rob parts from several and make a couple good ones.

My 1st clutch bike was a 1977 Kawasaki KX125 all dirt and man did I tear myself and that bike up. 1st street bike was a '78 Honda CB 750K with a Vetter fairing and an am/fm 8 track! :sign20:

1st "bike" was a mini bike with a 3 hp engine. I rode it straight into a wall when the throttle stuck. 1st ride on a clutch bike was a Honda 70 with 4" over forks. Stood it straight up the first time but I was able to slide off the seat and get my footing. Although I grew up around Harleys and the Brooklyn Rat Pack M/C back in the 70's I was into Hot Rods first so when I had the chance to ride my first real motorcycle it was my then girlfriend, now wife Jeans Yamaha 250 2 stroke. I stripped the paint off the tank and shot pearl white with pearl yellow stripes on it. That little thing was fast. Honda 550 and 750 SS soon followed.

http://venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=24022&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1227493273 http://venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=24023&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1227493273 http://venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=24024&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1227493310