IGNORED

driver's seat bolt nuts

My seat blew off my bike once while it was parked at work. Co-worker came in and saw the seat in the parking lot and noticed mine was missing. Amazingly, he came to the conclusion that it was my seat and set it back on the bike.

You work with SMART people.

Man, anybody with half a brain KNOWS thats the PORT side...Geeze...

Wait...most boats are driven from the starboard side...oh well.

All the boats I drive have the motor in the rear, and you drive from the centre at the back. Just push motor either way.

Brad

Guest tx2sturgis
All the boats I drive have the motor in the rear, and you drive from the centre at the back. Just push motor either way.

Brad

Reminds me of the wooden go-karts we built as kids...

When I first bought my bike and was trailering it from Ga to Florida I found out why you should have the nuts on. 80mph the seat launched itself off the bike and down I-75. Now granted had Ibeen riding it this would'nt have happened. I went to the dealer and bought 4 of the oem nuts for less than $5 and have never had one loosen up. Still have the two extra in my tool box. Guess I've been lucky so far.

All this talk about needing to find replacements for the seat nuts seems strange to me - I have over 50,000 miles on the 2nd gen RSV, and I have never had any problem with the stock nuts coming lose. Taking them of only takes a quick 1/4 turn with the 10mm socket, then they spin off quickly with the fingers. Works fine for me. :080402gudl_prv:

• 1 year later...

Well, it happened to me. I was checking the bike over last night and noticed that my right seat bolt is missing. :yikes: I was able to find a lock washer and an 11 mm flat bolt in the garage with the right thread to keep the right side secure. Now, I have a 10 mm bolt on the left and an 11 mm bolt to the right.

I guess wing nuts can be my best alternative...the next time I end up at Home Depot...for my 'To Buy' list. For now, my seat is not going anywhere. :97:

If you go to a home center such as Lowes.....you can find Plastic Wing nuts. Buy the 1/4 20 wing nuts.......the threads are similar enough that they will thread on and maintain enough friction they will not vibrate off.......run them up one time before installing seat to make your own threads in the plastic wing nut.....then just run them up......hand tight....they will not work loose the plastic wing nuts fit tight enough due to the thread size difference.....that is what I did to mine......

Same thing here, never had one fall off. Never comes loose. No tools required.

Well, it happened to me. I was checking the bike over last night and noticed that my right seat bolt is missing. :yikes: I was able to find a lock washer and an 11 mm flat bolt in the garage with the right thread to keep the right side secure. Now, I have a 10 mm bolt on the left and an 11 mm bolt to the right.

I guess wing nuts can be my best alternative...the next time I end up at Home Depot...for my 'To Buy' list. For now, my seat is not going anywhere. :97:

Try these instead. They work great.....

http://www.venturerider.org/classifieds/showproduct.php/product/1663/cat/7

Do Not Use a 1/4-20 wing nut on your seat. That seat stud is a 6mm metric thread. Do not mix SAE (standard) threads with Metric threads, you will be replacing your seat studs in the future. Use the OEM nut, a quick turn with a 10mm open end wrench will loosen the nut, then it can be removed by hand. How many times do you need to remove the seat??

No, you will not damage your threads using PLASTIC wing nuts. Another trick I learned from Dragerman doing this is to heat the bolt first so the plastic reforms easier, or apply heat to the wingnut after you have it threaded on to the bolt. Works fantastic and makes seat removal very easy.

As far as how many times do you remove the seat, well, how many accessories do you install, and how often do you check your battery...

I have no nuts .... :shock3: :rotf::rotf:

Seat ain't goin anywhere cause when the bike is movin I is holding it down with my butt.

Yeah my nuts fell off a long time ago and the seat ain't gonna fall off with my big butt on it.

BOO