IGNORED

driver's seat bolt nuts

I use wing nuts myself, and hell, the seat ain't gong nowhere with my big fat ass on it moving, and I'm not afraid of it falling off. I know of some that simply put a piece of rubber hose over the screw just to hold it steady?

I also do not like the feel of the seat when it is not bolted down. I can feel the seat move.

I did not like this either. SO I did this below. It is a pain that you need a small socket but you do not have to worry about over tightening the bolts and pulling the studs out of the seat.

BRad

Use the nylon insert nuts. You still will need to use a tool to remove it, but it won't vibrate off. They are also referred to as airplane nuts.

RR

I have used the wing nut soluation before but after losing a couple I switched to a coupling style nut. They being longer are easier to get a wrench on and can be tightened down enough that there's no worries of them coming loose. Using them you don't need a socket, a wrench is fine.

tried the no nut method too and like others didn't care for that moving feeling.

Larry

Guest KitCarson

If you go to a home center such as Lowes.....you can find Plastic Wing nuts. Buy the 1/4 20 wing nuts.......the threads are similar enough that they will thread on and maintain enough friction they will not vibrate off.......run them up one time before installing seat to make your own threads in the plastic wing nut.....then just run them up......hand tight....they will not work loose the plastic wing nuts fit tight enough due to the thread size difference.....that is what I did to mine......

Do Not Use a 1/4-20 wing nut on your seat. That seat stud is a 6mm metric thread. Do not mix SAE (standard) threads with Metric threads, you will be replacing your seat studs in the future. Use the OEM nut, a quick turn with a 10mm open end wrench will loosen the nut, then it can be removed by hand. How many times do you need to remove the seat??

Actually Donald - removing seat to get to fuel pump, battery, coolant reservoir, etc., - more than I wish I had to!

I have had my USED 2001 RSV a couple months and had to

rebuild carbs - so that was on/off many times!

replace battery

then several times when installing lights

then to jump it when lights ran batt down - man was I glad I had the wing nuts on the seat then!

then I got new sebel air horn and route wiring under seat & tank

Then to run wires for passing lamps, etc, etc, etc

C'mon Donald - don't you play with your scooter when you ain't ridin her? Playin with her is 1/2 the fun! :)

Do Not Use a 1/4-20 wing nut on your seat. That seat stud is a 6mm metric thread. Do not mix SAE (standard) threads with Metric threads, you will be replacing your seat studs in the future. Use the OEM nut, a quick turn with a 10mm open end wrench will loosen the nut, then it can be removed by hand. How many times do you need to remove the seat??

If you'll notice Kit said PLASTIC wing nut. The 1/4-20 PLASTIC wing nut will NOT hurt the 6mm metric threads and, as Kit said, will maintain an extra amount of "tightness/friction" on the treads to keep it from shaking loose.

Guest KitCarson
Hi Don: I just read this post again, kinda stepped into your shoes.......do not let them hurt your feelings......this is a great fun loving bunch and will say just about anything sometimes, all is meant in the right spirit...but did get a sense of it just might have just a little got a bit out of hand.

Anyways a lot of the Venture Riders use the plastic wing nuts. The plastic is a soft material and if you by hand only run the wing nuts up unto the studs once to form new crossed threads into the soft plastic, it will form a fit that can easily be used to secure that aggravating seat . The plastic nuts will have just enough friction to hold , keep the seat from moving and not fall off........for awhile.........then just put on a new set of wing nuts. I bought a whole pack of 10 I think for like 3 dollars.

I did not come up with this idea on my own.......I learned it from someone somewhere....at a meet and eat......it does work great.

:confused24:I've had no issues with the wings nuts yet, and to try and get the stock ones on, especaially on the drivers side is a REAL pain! If I ever have trouble with the wings nuts, probably the first thing I'd reach for is blue loctite?

This may sound dumb, but why can't you use the original ones over. I haven't had to take my seat off yet but I will soon to charge the battery. Is there something about the stock ones that they can't be reused when you take them off?

Naah, stock nuts are fine. If you don't tighten them properly, though, they have a tendency to vibrate loose and off. This discussion has to do with what to use once you loose the stock nuts (or is you want the ability to remove the seat without using tools).

RR

:confused24:I've had no issues with the wings nuts yet, and to try and get the stock ones on, especaially on the drivers side is a REAL pain! If I ever have trouble with the wings nuts, probably the first thing I'd reach for is blue loctite?

Hey Pick if you do not mind me askin which side is the drivers side on a Bike :sign20:

:sign13: Couldn't resist.

Brad

• 3 weeks later...

A flat washer and one inch long piece of rubber hose pushed onto the seat bolt threads pushing the washer up against the metal stop...holds good and wont vibrate off..

leave enough of the hose to grab on to, so you can pull/ twist it off when you want to remove the seat..

Thanks for this one. I am going to Advance Auto today to get the vacuum hose. The wing nuts I use haven't vibrated off, but the clutch side {Left side, Driver's side :whistling: } is one more PITA to put on. It's designed for the Japanese rider/mechanic with long Liddle Biddy Fingers.

I bet that I'm not the only one with this opinion!!!

MIKE aka Uturn

:7_6_3[1]:

Guest tx2sturgis
Hey Pick if you do not mind me askin which side is the drivers side on a Bike :sign20:

:sign13: Couldn't resist.

Brad

Man, anybody with half a brain KNOWS thats the PORT side...Geeze...

:rotf:

Wait...most boats are driven from the starboard side...oh well.