IGNORED

“Leveling Links”, and a few other “VERY proud new owner” questions …

Buck_Roy

Ok, so with all the kind help and advice from a number of you great folks, a few days ago I purchased a very sweet 2003 RSV. Yay me! ;)

Before it got cold here in Dallas, I had time to get a couple of hundred miles of “get acquainted” time on her, and also about an hour on the practice lot with a few motor-officer friends of mine. I’ve learned a few things, mostly that I LOVE this bike! I have already figured out that she’s a little top heavy, and at slow speeds she is kinda “un-forgiving”. The bike feels heavy in the front end, and almost “wallows” in tight slow speed turns. (I think a lot of that may be the Barons lowering kit she’s got on her). I love my new RSV, and safety and handling (especially at slower speeds) is important to me. So, I wanted to ask a few “new owner” questions, and hope that someone might be willing to offer a little help/experience?

1) I think the Barons lowering kit has to go. I've spoken to my bike mechanic, and he tells me that he can get the OEM Yamaha parts and put her back up to stock height. I've also read about the “Leveling Links” from Diamond R. Do these leveling links install in addition to the OEM parts to bring the RSV back to stock height, or in place of? I’m 6’1”, 225, with a 34” inseam. Would you recommend having the RSV taken back up stock height, or going the “Leveling Links” route?

2) Which helmet communication/intercom headsets do people use and recommend? As far as reliable and good functionally, I mean? When I'm looking/shopping, how do I tell which ones fit the RSV?

3) Does anyone know where I can find one of the Harley brake light frames for the back of my RSV? I am little paranoid about back lights. I was rear-ended at a stop light once, a long time ago. I did NOT enjoy the experience. ;-/

4) Can anyone recommend a good set of really good “stubby” antenna to replace the stock ones? The stock antennas barely clear the ceiling in my garage.

5) I know I need to be able to adjust/control the air in the shocks. Can anyone recommend a good manual pump for the shocks, hopefully one with a gage built into it? (I'm assuming that it should be manual, rather than an air compressor like I use for my tires)

6) Lastly, I need to go become a supporting member of this great forum, and introduce myself on the “New Member” forum!!!

Thanks again for the warm welcome, I’m looking forward to being able to return the friendship and the help!!!!

First let me say welcome to the forum, check out the technical pages for suggestions on rear lighting and the marshall mod for antennas.

You asked

1) I think the Barons lowering kit has to go. I've spoken to my bike mechanic, and he tells me that he can get the OEM Yamaha parts and put her back up to stock height. I've also read about the “Leveling Links” from Diamond R. Do these leveling links install in addition to the OEM parts to bring the RSV back to stock height, or in place of? I’m 6’1”, 225, with a 34” inseam. Would you recommend having the RSV taken back up stock height, or going the “Leveling Links” route?

The leveling links are installed in place of the factory OEM links. I would recomend going with the leveling links, they do improve the slow speed handling. Also check to see if the previous owner adjusted to triple tree down to lower the front end, the top of the triple tree clamp should be just about even with the top of the tubes.

Here is alink to Dennis Kirk, they sell the pumps.

https://www.denniskirk.com/progressive-suspension/pocket-pump-with-air-gauge.p28234.prd/28234.sku

You asked

5) I know I need to be able to adjust/control the air in the shocks. Can anyone recommend a good manual pump for the shocks, hopefully one with a gage built into it? (I'm assuming that it should be manual, rather than an air compressor like I use for my tires)

Yes purchase a manual pump that has a zero loose valve, never use an air compressor for the front forks or the rear shock. The parts department of your local shop or any Harley shop should be able to supply a suitable pump(s) I have two, one low pressure for the front forks, they should never have more than 7 psi and one higher pressure one that I use for the rear shock and the air shock on my Bustec trailer.

Edited by M61A1MECH
added ink

Yah! Welcome aboard!!

Plus 1 for keeping the leveling links! These bikes are indeed top heavy and the lowering kit does improve low speed handling. Probably the best way for you to appreciate this is to return it to stock and decide for yourself.

Most of us use J&M's or Edsets for the intercom. The same din cables that are used on older Harleys, and on Gold Wings also work. Don't waste your time and money on the aftermarket Yamaha sets, they aren't quite as good. You might want to check out Sierra Electronics for supplies.

As far as the Harley rear light frames, I guess either Fleabay or swap meets. Yes, the rear lighting is a bit anemic. Other suggestions are aftermarket high intensity replacement LED tail light, and LED light bars that you can find at trailer supply places. The bars I am talking about are combination runing, stop, and turn signals that are about a foot or so wide and about 1 inch wide. Mount them on the lower trunk mounting rack. You need to use a 5 wire system to 4 wire system adapter to use the turn signal feature.

As far as the air pump, Progressive makes a nice unit...

You can get a progressive pump at a Harley dealer that's good up to sixty pounds (max. for rear shocks is 57lbs.)

I have the leveling links as well, make a big difference in low speed handling, and turns in quicker at speed as well. Some people go with a 130 front tire and like it, I just wouldn't do both. Ron:080402gudl_prv: P.S. I'm about your size and run 4lbs. in the front and about 35 in the rear, seems to be the best compromise between ride quality and handling for me.

I forgot about the lighting,I have this plug and play LED tailight, it's intense!

http://www.customdynamics.com/Yamaha_tail_retro.htm:cool10:

In addition to the brake light LED... Custom Dynamics also has run/turn/brake replacements. Talk about lighting up your rear !

http://www.customdynamics.com/motorcycle_dynamic_clusters.htm

This is the write up I did on them - http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=63006

Does your bike have a wing on the trunk? This gives you a high mounted brake light but I don't find it very bright.

On handling.... what tires are on the bike? Anything older than 7 years should be replaced despite wear (DOT number indicates month/year of make). Bridgestones are NOT recommended. Try Dunlop E3's... they seem to be the recommended tire.

Also... check your steering head. The bike will feel like it is wandering if too loose. See http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=511 for instructions. I tighten mine every 10,000km (6,000 miles). Good way to test "on the road" is to let go of the handle bar and start coasting at city speeds. Don't move your hands too far away from the grips because if it is too loose as the speed drops off you'll go into almost a tank slapper. Another test is with the bike on the lift turn the handle bars 1/2 way to one side and let go of the grips. If it doesn't stay where you put it... too loose. Do this test in both directions.

Yah! Welcome aboard!!

Plus 1 for keeping the leveling links! These bikes are indeed top heavy and the lowering kit does improve low speed handling. Probably the best way for you to appreciate this is to return it to stock and decide for yourself.

Just to clarify.... The leveling links actually raise the back end of the bike, not lower it. The baron's kit does lower it and will make the wandering at slow speed even more pronounced. So from the Baron's kit installed on it now, to the leveling links, would be an increase in seat height, and I think a nice improvement on slow speed handling..

Several of us have installed LED light bars across the bottom of the trunk for extra viability. Mine is only 3 LED but operates as tail & brake lights. Helps the bike be seen better. I got 2 off e-bay for about $15 shipped. As for the shorter antennas, maybe you could flip the bracket the current ones are on. that should lower them about an inch or so and no cost. Also from personal experience think about a brake/hyd fluid flush/change. I lost my rear brakes in the mountians because most likely old fluid.

vbpgimage.php?do=full&p=7095&d=1328323376

Hey Roy,

Welcome to this group of very knowledgeable and friendly folks. In fact when saw that you were from the DFW area, I sent you a PM. I know it's nice if you can have someone close that you can rely on, if needed. Like you have already noted, this fine bike just needs a few minor changes to make it handle better. And IMHO what you experienced in your low speed exercises with your motor friends, I would be taking the Barons lowering kit off and sell it. And unless you are inseam challenged, I would suggest the Levaling Links (I'm just a bit biased since I developed them).

And many of us also want more lights on the rear of this bike and the Harley License Light (68230-97B) is certainly a good looking functional option. However, from what I have recently found on the internet, this item may be getting in short supply.

And J&M headsets are probably the best option which can be bought from Sierra Electronics at a discount.

The Progressive suspension pump is the one you want and can easily be ordered by your dealer or found on the internet at countless sites. Just make sure you get the one that goes up over 60lbs.

And I wouldn't worry about your attennas because they easily fold down. If you get a fixed one, it makes it almost impossible to put a full cover on the bike.

Hope to hear from you,

Rick

Ok, so with all the kind help and advice from a number of you great folks, a few days ago I purchased a very sweet 2003 RSV. Yay me! ;)

Before it got cold here in Dallas, I had time to get a couple of hundred miles of “get acquainted” time on her, and also about an hour on the practice lot with a few motor-officer friends of mine. I’ve learned a few things, mostly that I LOVE this bike! I have already figured out that she’s a little top heavy, and at slow speeds she is kinda “un-forgiving”. The bike feels heavy in the front end, and almost “wallows” in tight slow speed turns. (I think a lot of that may be the Barons lowering kit she’s got on her). I love my new RSV, and safety and handling (especially at slower speeds) is important to me. So, I wanted to ask a few “new owner” questions, and hope that someone might be willing to offer a little help/experience?

2) Which helmet communication/intercom headsets do people use and recommend? As far as reliable and good functionally, I mean? When I'm looking/shopping, how do I tell which ones fit the RSV?

3) Does anyone know where I can find one of the Harley brake light frames for the back of my RSV? I am little paranoid about back lights. I was rear-ended at a stop light once, a long time ago. I did NOT enjoy the experience. ;-/

4) Can anyone recommend a good set of really good “stubby” antenna to replace the stock ones? The stock antennas barely clear the ceiling in my garage.

6) Lastly, I need to go become a supporting member of this great forum, and introduce myself on the “New Member” forum!!!

Thanks again for the warm welcome, I’m looking forward to being able to return the friendship and the help!!!!

Well Walt,

It would certainly quicken up the steering wouldn't it :big-grin-emoticon:

Rick

If the rear is lowered, there is a good chance the front is lowered too. If that is the case, adding leveling links would raise the rear too high in relationship to the front. Don't know what that would do for the handling.:shock3:

Roy as exrsa 1 clarified the leveling links raise the rear 1 inch above stock height. I made a set for mine and it made a big improvement. As you stated in your earlier thread about the front NOT being lowered I'm pretty sure if you went with leveling links from where the bike sits as you purchased it it would raise the rear 2 inches. If your not sure you would be comfortable with this I have a set of stock links I would rent you for a mere $12 bucks and let you try that first. I will be out that way in a few weeks or I could mail them to you. BUT I would like them returned in case I ever decide to sale my bike.

Thanks to everybody, for the warm welcome and all the help!

Just as an update....

First, and most important...I LOVE my new RSV!! :cool10:

Rick Butler was kind enough to reach out and say hi. I've been lucky enough to get to chat with him, about the RSV and riding and life in general...and he's VERY kindly offered to help me with a few changes to my new bike. I'm looking forward to getting to meet Rick in person!

I've ordered a set of Leveling Links from Diamond R, so I'm REALLY looking forward to getting those. And a member here, star4772, was kind enough to agree to sell me a Harley license plate/rear brake light assembly he had in the classifieds, so that's on the way too. And Rick and I have talked a fair bit about seats, and once I get all my goodies I'm going to have him do his "seat modification" on the stock seats on my 03 as well.

I have been shopping for a good headset to get for my skid-lid, but I haven't decided on which ones yet.

I'm still trying to decide on a few other mods I think I need to make: new windshield, possibly different tires (I've seen several threads here about the Dunlop 404's and their not being a safe tire for the RSV), still thinking about some additional lights for the trunk (maybe LED's?), and because I'm in Texas I'm thinking about the "lower air deflectors" that Yammy sells.

Again, THANKS to everyone....I'm really happy to be here!!! :301: :cool10: :301:

From another post last week, if the front is lowered here is what it will look like.

The tubes will extend up to 1.5" above the tripple tree. If it is stock, the tubes will be pretty well flush to the top of the tripple tree.

Thanks Mike G!! The front end is stock, the only thing lowered is the rear end. And the Diamond R Leveling Links should get that fixed right up...looking forward to it!!

Thanks Mike G!! The front end is stock, the only thing lowered is the rear end. And the Diamond R Leveling Links should get that fixed right up...looking forward to it!!

And, Buck Roy,

If you get the leveling links, you do not need to remove the Calliper Relocation Kit, just replace the links. That does not take much mechanical know how, just two 17mm wrenches (I think) and a jack. Half hour if you have never done it, 20 minutes if you have.

Leaving the calliper in the lower position has no effect on raising the bike back up. (And makes replacing rear brake shoes pretty simple.)

Mike G.

Edited by Mike G in SC