What do you do with your helmet?  

251 members have voted

1. 1. What do you do with your helmet?

• Take it with you
    • Store it in the trunk
    • Lock it on the helmet lock
    • Leave it on the seat or hanging loose on the bike
    • Other

When you've stopped at a restaurant or a gas stop/pee break .... in other words, you've left your bike unattended to go inside a building for a period of time ... 10 min - 2 hours or so.... do you lock your helmet on the helmet lock, do you store it inside the trunk, do you take it in with you, do you leave it on the seat or hanging from the mirror or something?

I guess I am in the habit of locking it up.

I live in a neighborhood where anything not locked up will be gone quickly.

If there is room, it goes in the trunk, otherwise on the helmet lock. If I am in a really nice neighborhood, I might not actually lock the trunk.

Not very often will I put it in the trunk because there is usually no room.

If I am stopping for gas or going to pee then it hangs on the right mirror.

When I go in to eat and cannot see the bike I will lock it on the lock.

I never take it inside with me.

Like mentioned above it really depends on the neighborhood.

At the Indianapolis Motor Speedway one time I had it locked on the back and when I got back to the bike the helmet was gone, I still had about two inches of strap though.

What really ticked me off was it was pouring down rain and I had no helmet.

BOO

For a quick stop I'll hang it on the handlebar. Somone could steal it but since I always ride with my helmet installed it can get a little funky. So I say "go to town", as soon as you stick YOUR head inside you'll pay and I bet I find it not too far from where I left it! :)

-JK

kinda lost me on that "helmet installed" part ...

Also a pends-on sort of guy. Mostly around town and back and forth to airport for work I wear the shorty. I'll leave it on the seat with gloves under it if its short time. Say hour or so. If I'm out on the road and got the Bell with my radio/headset gear in it I'll usually lock it up if its outa site for more than a few minutes. We try to put them in the trunk if there is room. The helmet locks are really a PIA to use if you ask me.

I used to lock it up with the helmet locks but one time I came out of a movie theater and it had rained and it was full of water:depressed:. Now i just leave it sitting on the seat rightside up. I would lock it in the trunk but there is usually no room.Guess I need to carry less junk.:whistling:

The helmet locks are really a PIA to use if you ask me.
They are indeed a PITA but there is a solution. There are chrome lock T hangers available for about $60/pr but a better method, I think is to get a couple of small crescent wrenches for a few bucks each. When not in use they can be left on the lock as a decoration.

At church, I bring it in. It is always a conversation piece, especially during winter, and leads to good fellowship! I use to do the same at the local restaurants in and around Chattanooga, TN but one of the bikers informed me that most leave theirs on their bikes. So now I hang my on my foot peg. I do this also while camping during my travels. Only time I consider securing it is when we might stay in a hotel, which is infrequent!

Neither of my bikes have a helmet lock. I installed the one that mounts on the Kury ISO grips that are on my 650. That worked about a dozen times and hasn't worked since. So I keep a coiled cable lock wrapped around my handlebars, and as I ride either with a full or flip face helmet, the cable gets put thru the visor opening and the helmet sits on the gas tank until I get back. Works for me!!

I have a small cable and lock. It's a full face helmet so I put the helmet on the rear seat run the cable thru the face around the rear grab rails and lock the ends together. Only takes a second. I keep the cable & lock in the trunk. I have a larger and longer cable that I run thru the sleeves of my jacket to lock it the bike as well. For over night trips I use a disk brake lock with alarm, pad lock the steering, use a big bull dog cable around the frame thru the rear wheel. Plus the bike has a gorilla alarm, and I cover it. I hide under the cover all night with my 357 just in case.