IGNORED

Its a bird,no a plane

Naugh-T

No a tire ,I didnt know transport tires could fly like that ,coming down the 401 last night on fumes because I forgot my bank card :whistling: real close to my exit I heard a bang,and smelled rubber thought it was my bike, then I seen it coming, put up my left arm becausea huge piece was coming right at me,ran a few over, hit in the leg, small bruise now, but did pretty good, I pulled over cause that did scare me, so did a suv, a harley,and a cop,told everyone I was fine,the guy on the harley was nice enough to want to buy me a coffee, Made it home safe:),still didnt get any gas,good thing I didnt have to push it home Woodstock has lots of hills :rotf:

Naugh-T :bighug:

I was riding thru Texas in 1973 when a semi shredded a tire in front of me.It was at night but luckily in a lighted area.I was on a fully faired BMW several big chunks of slammed into the fairing and windshield.I dodged the bigger pieces but I can still remember one piece coming out of the dark at my head,trying to duck and having it deflect off the windshield.Glad you are ok and nothing worse then a bruise.

Brad, not sure what he even looks like, he isnt home often

Thats the fun of building a new house... someone has to go to work for it..:whistling:

I sure am glad you didnt get hurt Naughty... really glad your OK..

When you do see Brad, tell him I said hi and hope he finds time to enjoy some time for himself soon..

hugs:thumbsup2:

Naugh-T, very happy for you that you survived that one. It is always a close call when a large truck tire decides to explode...and we are close by.

I had a very similar thing happen back in 2003, riding an '03 Wing with ABS, while going West on I-90, about 50 miles East of Ellensburg, WA. I came riding up in the left lane, approaching a semi-truck rig. I have learned to try to always look at the tires on these rigs, and...look for objects stuck between the dualy sets of tires, like large rocks, or bricks from construction sites. Any item stuck between dually tires are like a missile, if they let loose and come flying out.

On this occassion, I saw that the truck's left rear tire was already starting to flap its' retread carcass, and at the last second I hit my ABS brakes for all that the bike could handle. I mean I hit those brakes HARD. The moment I did, that tire let loose, and there were big and little pieces all over the road. About two seconds later, the inner core of the tire blew, like a shotgun going off. I managed to avoid 99% of it, because I came to a full stop on Interstate 90, and there was no other traffic around to impede my use of the road.

I then got on my CB, and told the truck driver that he just blew a left rear tire. Thankfully...he pulled over as quick as he could, and both he and I worked for 10 + minutes picking up tire pieces that had scattered all over the road.

Sh*t like this happens, and WE have to pay attention to road debris, as well as the tires on bug rigs. Especially look for items stuck between the dually tires on the rear set of wheels.

Naugh-T, very happy for you that you survived that one. It is always a close call when a large truck tire decides to explode...and we are close by.

I had a very similar thing happen back in 2003, riding an '03 Wing with ABS, while going West on I-90, about 50 miles East of Ellensburg, WA. I came riding up in the left lane, approaching a semi-truck rig. I have learned to try to always look at the tires on these rigs, and...look for objects stuck between the dualy sets of tires, like large rocks, or bricks from construction sites. Any item stuck between dually tires are like a missile, if they let loose and come flying out.

On this occassion, I saw that the truck's left rear tire was already starting to flap its' retread carcass, and at the last second I hit my ABS brakes for all that the bike could handle. I mean I hit those brakes HARD. The moment I did, that tire let loose, and there were big and little pieces all over the road. About two seconds later, the inner core of the tire blew, like a shotgun going off. I managed to avoid 99% of it, because I came to a full stop on Interstate 90, and there was no other traffic around to impede my use of the road.

I then got on my CB, and told the truck driver that he just blew a left rear tire. Thankfully...he pulled over as quick as he could, and both he and I worked for 10 + minutes picking up tire pieces that had scattered all over the road.

Sh*t like this happens, and WE have to pay attention to road debris, as well as the tires on bug rigs. Especially look for items stuck between the dually tires on the rear set of wheels.

While I have always looked for tires that that don't look right, not just on big rigs but on ALL vehicles. But I never thought of a rock or other debris stuck between the dallies.

Sure glad to hear you did not end up down on the asphalt!! Nothing runs my "pucker factor" up faster than seeing those road gators flying all over the place. Low speed maneuvers are easy to master but at 60-70mph you really are limited by what you can do to avoid those gators and still keep the scoot from nailing one of them.

When passing a 18 wheeler I get as far away from them in the passing lane and ride the throttle HARD to get around and ahead of them as quickly as possible. I have had LEO's pull me over for speeding when doing this but when I explain the situation to them they have all understood and let me go on my way without a ticket.

Ya done good Rhonda!! Take care gal and don't let things like this deter you from climbing on your iron horse. Things like this are the risks we all accept to feel the wind on our knees and really enjoy the freedom of the road.:cool10:

Boomer.....who sez even de pygmies cringe when we fly by an 18 wheeler.:whistling:

Glad you was not hurt! and you was able to make it home safe...

Sure does make your butt pucker up for sure.......

Had that happen to us once going to ST. Judes Peg & I was riding along with Ray & Joan (Colesgrandpaw) on I40 east bound and we had one blow out and Ray was head of us almost to the truck rear side as we was 100ft behind them when it blew when I saw that I told Peg to hang on!

I had missles hitting my windshield and my right knee and foot area Peg was safe behind me as she was ducking and it was busy busy on I40 I looked in my mirror and saw that the truck behind us took the middle of the road and started slowing down so no one could get by him making it safe for us to dodge and slow down as well.

Buddy

that is why drivers are suppose to check the tires before leaving that is part of the pre check list

While I have always looked for tires that that don't look right, not just on big rigs but on ALL vehicles. But I never thought of a rock or other debris stuck between the dallies.

i use to do my pre check before leaving shipper receiver truck stop and on a few occasions i found debris stuck between my duels if you dont get it out its a sure sign of disaster being stuck on the side of the road with 2 flats

Holy Cow!!! Glad you are relatively OK Naugh T it could have been a lot worse, you could have gone down!! It was probably a retread on a semi, they fly apart like that! IMHO those type of tires should be illegal...

all recaps should be illegal companies put these on to try and save money and instead cost more money.

naugh-t glad your ok

Guest Swifty

...jeez, and you wonder why some guys think you aren't tough enough to ride your own bike through a little cold rain!?!?...idiots. :whistling:

I'm glad you survived it.

I too was very happy to hear that she did not go down. She rides very well even in the rain but you just never know. Rhonda told me where she was and there really was no where else to go, and again very happy to hear nothing serious happened.

We are hoping to spend some nice time together next week as we are both on a needed vacation, the only question is where to go ?

I guess it really does not matter, just happy we are able to spend it together, Love you Rhonda and very glad you made it home safe.

Brad

Edited by BradT

Thats the fun of building a new house... someone has to go to work for it..:whistling:

I hope your not saying she don't work ? (your in big trouble now:buttkick:.:Avatars_Gee_George:

She has worked plenty hard 3 jobs at a time and working weeks straight without time off.

Brad

I hope your not saying she don't work ? (your in big trouble now:buttkick:.:Avatars_Gee_George:

She has worked plenty hard 3 jobs at a time and working weeks straight without time off.

Brad

Not at all was I saying that she doesnt work Brad. I know she works hard. You both do.

I was sticking up for you as to why you were not home..