IGNORED

How can I kill a small tree? (Non Venture)

frankd

I have a small tree growing up through the deck attached to my house. This deck is only a little bit above the ground, so I can't get underneath it to get to it. The only way I see to get anywhere near it is to remove some of the deck boards and reach down. Anybody have any idea how I can get rid of it?

Frank D.

1/4 cup Vinegar,1/2 cup water and 6 tablespoons of salt, stir. Pour it slowly down to the trunk and into the ground. A few days and it will be dead forever.

Nothing against trees, but one against or in the porch is not good. There is a mixture for the vinegar,water, and salt that can be used around the yard to kill grass and weeds, but will not harm larger trees. If I remember correctly, it is this;

1. One gallon of water in a spray. (Just double everything for more)

2. Cup of any kind of vinegar.

3. Three heaping tablespoons salt.

4. Three tablespoons of dish liquid, mix lightly (the dish liquid helps hold some of the mixture on the leaf of the grass and weed plant).

This will need to be repeated every month to keep the grass and weeds down. But it can be sprayed around large trees and flowers and shrubs without harming them, but keeping the grass and weeds at bay.

Fuzzy :usa:

Actually, ... Round Up MAY kill it depending on how long the thing has been there. If you cut the tree down and build a deck over the stump you'll be spraying quite awhile! If this is a fairly new sprout, spray it, wait a couple of weeks and remove a plank to pull the dead sapling. Unless you want to look at a cut of branch for the next ten years. 'Course you can skip the whole round up thing and just yank it from the get go.

Roundup won't get the tree, you need a product called brushmaster ( woodie growth), I would suggest that you upon some boards and girdle it , then cut above. If it is invasive, it will have it try to grow again from the rootstock. Smaller is easier to kill. Try to identity the species. Diesel fuel saturating the root may also help make it no longer.

Use a pruning pole to reach under and cut it off.

The pruner will also allow you to pull it out for disposal.

Then pour a large amount of salt thru the cracks between the boards to make it stay dead.

Put some paper thru the board cracks to act as a long skinny funnel to keep the salt off of the deck so that you do not damage the wood or nails.

The pruning pole that I have has a 12 foot reach.

If all else fails, a sufficient application of dynamite will make most problems go away. :whistling::225:

If it is small enough to be under the deck then Roundup should kill it. Or, anything you can think of that would kill a small tree or grass such as salt, diesel, oil product, etc. should kill it. No need to buy a brush killer because you should be able to come up with something you already have that will get the job done.

I know around here I could find somebody to sit on it for a while and if the timing is right almost anything will die from the results,,,, don't you have somebody like that around your area?

To bad it's not a venture or a HD sign could kill it as well.