IGNORED

First Gen Lovers Only

FROG MAN

If you had your choice to buy a low mileage first gen what would it be? Some love the 83-85 models with 1200 engine and removable bags. Others like the 86-93 models, larger bags,1300 engine,with all the royal bells and whistles. I have both and there great bikes. A low mileage first gen is a great find.

love the 1st gen 89 vr,relible,runs great,rides like a dream,has a tendency to fall down,can blame that on my white hair

the voyager,is faster, smoother,lighter handling,less room,easer to pick up,a hell of a lot harder to work on,gas mpg is 20% better,when riding,can't make up witch one i like the best:confused24::confused24::think:

Just swap out that 1300 for a good powerful 1200, problem solved........:stirthepot::stirthepot:

Better yet , Full throttle going down-hill !

BEER30

I know this is a 1st gen post only , but I do have a 1st gen in my possession at the moment ! :rotf::rotf::rotf:

Better yet , Full throttle going down-hill !

BEER30

I know this is a 1st gen post only , but I do have a 1st gen in my possession at the moment ! :rotf::rotf::rotf:

He's going to swap a 1st gen engine into his 2nd Gen..... Gene you finally realized that we 1st Genners are RIGHT:rotfl:

This Honda Boy has had more Ventures than you will ever have..... so my creditability way above yours:rasberry:

Uncle ....I said Uncle ! I concede ....but....but your Charlie and drink the wrong brand of Beer ! :rotf:

Can't wait to see ya again and I will let you ride on the back of my Venture .

BEER30

I like the looks of the MarkII (86 up) best but when they went to the 1300 they de-tuned the motor. I'd like to up the power on my 86. Only problem there is :mo money:!

not so sure all 86er were detuned,my 86,would outdo the 89,on most every thing,except gas mls,35 was the best i ever got

So if you think 85, the bags have grown bigger, but not so big that it takes all day to pack, the 1200 is the best, it's got bells and it whistles (right past anything newer), the colors are supreme, gas milage can be lived with, no fancy dancie extras that don't work anyways, need I go on?

So if you think 85, the bags have grown bigger, but not so big that it takes all day to pack, the 1200 is the best, it's got bells and it whistles (right past anything newer), the colors are supreme, gas milage can be lived with, no fancy dancie extras that don't work anyways, need I go on?

The best of both right there, with the engine & baggage combo............:thumbsup2:

I've had 2, a Gold 87 and the two tone Blue 90 I have now. Both are nice bikes, the Blue is awesome, stands out very nicely. It has more than enough power and will go a lot faster than I ever need to. Riding 2up, fully loaded bags and pulling a full trailer and I still got 40+ mpg. You can't beat that. I'll have the chance to check out an 83 as soon as my brother-in-law brings his down so we can get it running again.

I have had a 83 and still have a 89. Speed agility was real good with the 83...then again I was at least 70lbs lighter!

The 89 has enough (same horsepower isnt it?) and bigger bags which I really liked.

Gotta say its the 86 and up. I would still ride it if the riding position didnt get to me as I got older. But thats me...

What ever I have in the future will have the riding position like my current 2nd gen.

Truly though...if I could have both...one 89 for running around town and short trips and the rsv for the longer trips I would be in my glory.

I just cannot afford the insurance for both and thats a straight fact in this province. As it is now for all our vehicles trailers campers we are paying over 5 grand for insurance a year. You can see my point. And thats a differant thread!

i bought it because of the extra luggage space on the 86 and up 1st gen. we were on a trip for 3 weeks last summer, never had to tie anything onto the trunk luggage rack.

as for power, the 83-85 will pull away under hard acceleration (Bob beat me, the bongo one) but my 86 still lofted the front tire two people on the bike. i did that three times last year, it goes like stink. my 2 cents worth.

cheers, Scott

If you had your choice to buy a low mileage first gen what would it be? Some love the 83-85 models with 1200 engine and removable bags. Others like the 86-93 models, larger bags,1300 engine,with all the royal bells and whistles. I have both and there great bikes. A low mileage first gen is a great find.

Tough call as I like them both.

I like the look of the more aerodynamic bags of the early models, and the fact they are removable. However I like the larger capacity of the later years.

Ultimately though I would go with the later years because of all the Royale "bells and whistles".

Loaded question isn't it boys. The truth is you can't have everything in just one. The 84 is my first choice in a solo machine.What a work horse. I enjoy a day out by myself cruising through the mountains. The 84 has quicker throttle response and remove those bags for a noticeable increase in performance. What a twisties machine.

My 89 loaded with all the toys is our two up machine for those local meet n eats and weekend outings. Both machines have less then 30K each and will last for years to come.