IGNORED

First Gen Lovers Only

FROG MAN

84 Standard. Don't need the Bells and Whistles at 120 MPH in 3rd gear. And handles like a Dream.

Of Course a 83 with a new frame......

Or a 86 with all that luggage space.......

or a 93 for the latest of the Best....

IS This a Trick Question?????

The "BLUE BEAST" on her good days will never be matched!!

Ok you asked for the favorite of First Gen Still like the 89 royal, Plus like the reds with the bells and whistles. Has bigger bags for packing, controls for the passenger. The only thing that I would like changed on it is how the saddlebag opens. Like the 84 better for that. Ok the rest of the 1st gen owners need to answer too:think: since they have their preference. Also the 2nd gen owers that formally owned a 1st. Minds want to know. 89:cool10: 89 :cool10:89 :cool10:89 :cool10:89:cool10:

I sometimes envy the larger bags and trunk on the later 1st gens, but I also like the SPORT touring look of the early ones. From the back when sitting beside a later 1st gen, my 83 looks like a lot smaller bike. I have ridden a couple of later 1st gens and for some reason mine feels more toss-able as I feel like I can just toss it around easy and the later ones did not feel that way. That also may have been mostly due to the familiarity with my own bike.

I know that I enjoy my bike and get a lot of nice compliments, especially from women. They seem to particularly like the purple color. And, it is neat to tell some middle age woman that she was just a young girl when my bike was born. They really like that and can not believe it at first.

Either way, 1st gens are neat bikes and a lot of fun. I know that with 112,000 miles on mine, I would not hesitate to take on a long trip today. But, I also know my bike pretty well and have have been thru most of it.

RandyA

Lets see what the First gen. has to offer

turns really easy in parking lots.

takes curves like a race bike.

stock gauges.

bullet proof motor.

first bike with full fairing design.

AM/FM cassette - CB intercom system.

V-Max was designed from First Gen. motor.

engines rated to over 200,000+ miles.

Nicked name the Beast .

Removable saddle bags 83-85 models.

25 years later the V4 engine still being used on other models which is from the first Gen. design.

But yet some people here still cut down the First gen.

buddy

I'd like to up the power on my 86.

not so sure all 86er were detuned,my 86,would outdo the 89,on most every thing,except gas mls,35 was the best i ever got

Lowel, 86er is only saying that now because he rode with me for a day last summer!

:cool10:

I have said it before I LOVED my 83 and no other bike I owned before my 83 brought more smiles per mile over the 20 years of ownership.

I have traded with other 1st GEN owners 87,88,89 and 93 and must say if I was to buy a 1st GEN it would be a 93 only because it would be 10 years newer and would have low miles, that I would insist on.

I thought all were pretty nimble and had plenty of power and the one thing I liked about the 83 that you don't get on the newer models is removable bags.

That I really liked at first, but I scratched up my bags and trunk and after I painted the bike left them on a went with the soft luggage.

It is nice to read what other owners of both bikes say or there preference.

Good thread FROG MAN............................Ron

................................................ Both machines have less then 30K each and will last for years to come.

That should only be about a year and a half's riding on each!

Of course they'll last forever if you don't ride them, Froggie! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Lowel, 86er is only saying that now because he rode with me for a day last summer!

:cool10:

Oh yeah, let you get ahead of me one time and it goes right to your head! http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/15/15_8_220.gif

If it was bike just for me to ride then I would go with the 1200 as it's a bit more muscle engine. If 2 up and touring, it would be the 1300 as the bags are lots bigger :happy34:

Brad get the 1200 and put the 86 to 93 bags on it.Dont say it cant be done I put the 84 bags on the 92 all I had to change was the upper rear sub frame and the crash bars so you can go the other way if you want the bigger bags.

Jeff

I"VE GOT AN 86 VENTURE STANDARD. THE LUGGAGE SPACE IS TERRIFIC AND THE PERFORMANCE IS NOT BAD FOR AN 800lb BIKE. AT FIRST THE SIZE SCARED THE C--P OUT OF ME BUT AFTER A YEAR OF RIDDING IT I RECON THE HANDLING IS PRETTY GOOD. SCARES GOLDWING RIDERS WHEN YOU ROUND THEM UP ON THE OUSIDE OF A BEND WITH SPARKS FLYING OF THE REAR CRASH BARS

KEEP THE BLACK BITS DOWN