IGNORED

GPS rec's

yuckly

I am sure there is a thread somewhere but i am lazy...

I am NOT spending 800 dollars on a gps. nuff said. what GPS units do ya'll recommend that are under 200- i got a 200 staples gift card at work.

also, what type of weatherproofing and mounting did you come up with for the unit. I am in southeastern nc. i won't be riding in the rain intentionally.

'preciate your responses!

Keep an eye on Woot.com and eBay. Woot has offers every now and then for really low prices. I just bought a TomTom 550 XL for about $80.00 a couple months ago.

As far as water proofing there are high end bike units that are already sealed up. The cheaper option is a water resistant case. (In Pics). Or the much more affordable and popular option.... The Zip Lock Baggie.

How much you spend is pretty well based on what you want the unit to do. I got by fine for a couple years with a $40 Nextar from Woot that I only used to find gas stations.

I'm sure there will be a lot of advice here as there are some very popular units out there.

Mike

i went with the garmin 1490lmt. lifetime updates form here:http://g.factoryoutletstore.com/cat/1642/Garmin-Car-GPS.html. its a refurb, and i already (within 2 months) had a service issue, Garmin replaced the unit no problem, with a brand new one. priority mail! thats service! i used a universal master cylinder mount attached to clutch reservoir with ram mount. i think the whole thing ran about 210. i would also watch woot.com, be careful with used units. especially Garmins, i read on a garmin forum, that you cannot get free map updates unless youre the original owner. when it locks up, its done.

I'm running a Garmin 765T with a handle bar mounted RAM mount. Zip lock bag is in the trunk for the wet stuff. It has MP3 player and blue tooth. Although I havent invested in a cable from Buddy yet. but at least I can see if someone is calling while I'm traeling and I can call at my next stop.

Look at the nuvi 500 or 550 $299. Both are waterproof and will do routes at $100 less than the least expensive zumo model. Garmin doesn't list it as one of their motorcycle GPS because they want you to buy a Zumo

My 1490t that's a refubished unit I got off of ebay has the same warranty as a new one. I paid $200 for it and it works great. A baggie and zip tie for the rain. It got wet on Saturday, never had a problem. Plenty of GPS's for under 2 bills. You DO NOT need to spend all that money on a Zumo. I would stick with Garmin, just my .02

Get the bicycle / motorcycle mount at Walmart ( or another big box )

waterproof http://www.walmart.com/ip/Bracketron-Waterproof-Case-with-Bike-Mount/15860629?findingMethod=rr

water resistant http://www.walmart.com/ip/Arkon-Universal-Bicycle-Motorcycle-Handlebar-Mount-with-Water-Resistant-Smartphone-Holder/15406272

My 2 cents, I have the water resistant one and I put my iphone in an oetter box in it. It's not very resistant, spend a couple extra bucks and get the one ontop.

I went on craigslist and searched GPS, found a TOM TOM XL 350 for $30. The window attachment works great on the speedo and carry a baggie for rain. My iPhone is to the right of the GPS in a waterproof holder I got off fleabay foe $13 to the house.

I bought a used Garmin 765t on ebay and had to get in touch with Garmin to get them to allow me to update it.

To protect original users from theft garmin does make it difficult to get the used units unlocked, but what you need is a bill of sale with an address of the owner that matches Garmins records (they wont take bills from ebay because of verification of ownership). however,You can also get an ebay machine updated as Garmin will contact the previous record to see if they still own it, when the previous owner says theyve sold it, youre good to go.

Now, if the previous owner doesnt get back to Garmin, there is a waiting time that garmin will wait for a response and if they dont get one after a time Garmin will wipe that account from their system and in effect allow the new user to register the used Garmin unit.

Brian:think:

I just can't seem to organize enough to successfully plan for and use a GPS.

I have the Nuvi 765T though, refurb, under 100 bucks, mounted on the bike.

Screen is pretty washed out in sunlight but we do use it for locating food joints, maybe a hotel, fuel, etc., pretty much anything a smart phone would do.

I'm still stuck in the paper map world but for value, the Garmin 765T is pretty slick.

I have the same water resistant mount shown in post #2.

I found a used Garmin Nuvi 225 on Fleabay for, best I remember, about $100.00. I cut some foam packaging to center it in the zip up case. That makes it mostly "glove friendly" to use. It is hard to see if the sun is behind you as there is some reflection on the plastic opening.

I later bought a refurbished TOM-TOM XL350, thinking since it had a current map and was a little larger than the Garmin it would be better. WRONG!!! I went back to the Garmin as it works better in the mount when I have gloves on. Also and most important is that the Garmin will automatically power up and power down when I turn the ignition on. The TOM-TOM will not, and it is tough to turn the TOM-TOM on and off with out unzipping the case.

just my :2cents:

I've been toying with the idea of putting a GPS on our '91 VR, and the main issue has been where to mount it.

Then the other day I noticed there is a place that might work: The unused mirror mounting hole on the right handle bar clamp.

The only issue I see is finding a left hand threaded bolt to fasten a mounting bracket with....

Thoughts?

I thought the same thing. I bought a 10mm ball from RAM to use with the rest of my ram mount and just put it on the left handle bar. Since I always have had the GPS in the lower left corner of my windshield my left hand is the only one that learned how to use the GPS.

You can buy a left hand 10mm screw from McMaster Carr.

There was someone here that just drilled and tapped the right side to a 3/8 right hand thread.

Oops, got my right and left crossed up... That should be the RIGHT handle bar clamp.... The mirror hole on the left is already taken by the audio/comm system remote....

The only issue I see now is my curise control is non-functional (haven't bothered to trouble shoot it....), so taking my hand off of the throttle grip would be a problem....

I, like some above, run a Nuvi 765T. Went that route for same reason you mention. NOT gonna spend for a Zumo. It is mounted with a ram mount and has it's own little ziplock bag that resides in the tank bra pouch(can be applied on the go). The reason I went from a 25x class to the 765 was for MP3 and the audio conn to the bike. It is VERY nice to have the nice australian lady tell me my turn is coming up without having to take my eyes off the road. It does routes -sort of. On long trips I map the whole route with stops for gas and lunch and then GPX them to the unit. Use waypoints to keep you on the path you wanted. IE: just 'cuz you mapped a route on the puter, nothing says thats the way the GPS will take you.

There's more art than science in getting routes into a GPS and then getting it to take you the way you planned. Many (me included) can tell you stories of being guided down a goat path that you had no intention of being on.

IE: just 'cuz you mapped a route on the puter, nothing says thats the way the GPS will take you.

Many (me included) can tell you stories of being guided down a goat path that you had no intention of being on.

Boy if that ain't the truth. Last week I headed down to Missouri to see my old B-I-L and his family. It's an easy trip even avoiding the Interstate and doing only two lanes just for the scenic value. Ridden that route dozens of times over the years.

Once I got into Kansas I figured just for giggles I'd let the GPS lead my into his place. I set it for the shortest route and when it asked if I wanted to avoid dirt/gravel roads figured I was in good hands.

Yeah right.

I saw some roads I'd never taken before that's a fact. At one point the danged thing shot the guide line off into a field where I saw no sign of any kind of road and the barbed wire fence pretty much comfirmed there was no turn available. I continued on waiting for the old "recalculating" to fire in. Nope. I got the signal to turn around and go back. I did. Same spot. No goats..... no path. LOL! Sun is still in the east, I can figure this out.

All in all the suggested short route took an extra 60 miles and an extra hour to get where I needed to be. Not a problem that day, but I'd be leery of trying it again without more plotting the route out.

Just another ride experience. :biker:

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Any "car" GPS will work though you may have to use the zip lock bag to waterproof.

I favor Garmin but that's only because the PC software is already installed for updates etc.

I just replaced my car GPS (Nuvi 755T) with a new Nuvi40LM and have the 755T moved to the Venture. The 755 supports bluetooth, has a media player, traffic updates and accepts GPX files (that may be important). It works very well allowing me to eleminate my MP3 player from my list of traveling gadgets.

I also have a Nuvi205W that was installed on the Venture, it is a year behind on map updates but has not gotten me lost in nearly three years :thumbsup2:

so taking my hand off of the throttle grip would be a problem....

Playing with a GPS while riding or driving is as bad as texting!

program your destination BEFORE you ride.

In Ontario, there is a $225 ticket for anyone using any kind of electronic device while driving. Hands free phone is OK...but no hand held, no playing with GPS, no texting.

Needless to say, people still do it

Guest Swifty
Playing with a GPS while riding or driving is as bad as texting!

Needless to say, people still do it

...some of us DO have the talent though.

:whistling:

I think it is something like a 565, doesn't say anywhere on it what model bought it from a vendor on amazon, I think it is a refurb unit of somekind but has worked well for three years. I turn it on tune the stereo to an empty frequency and then ride with the unit in one of the side bags in the little storage area near the latch. directions come through the sound system loud and clear, have never missed hearing it telling me it was recalculating. I don't need to see the display, I am not taking my eyes off the road to squint at a sun washed out little display. My bosses son had a gps that used Ozzi Osbourn's voice, was always telling him he was friggin lost man

Al

when you go GPS shopping bring the brightest flashlight with you. IF you can at the store read the screen with the flashlight aimed at the screen, it will work on the bike in the daytime.

I have yet to find any GPS under $500.00 that has a screen that is readable in sunlight on a Bike.

I did have the problem once of the route deciding it was going to "do its own thing" after uploading to GPS. Luckly I run thru the routes once they are uploaded on GPS and I caught it. It sort of swapped a couple waypoints.

nuvi 50LM. lifetime maps. 5" screen. got the extended protection plan(which i never do...) but considering how, and under what circumstances it will be used i figured it wouldn;t hurt. At Staples, out the door for gps and protection plan, $180. i am sure that i could have gotten it cheaper elsewhere but i got the staples gift card as a gift.

i compared between this and the tom tom of equal value- dunno which model?. garmin had lifetime maps, so i went for it. lane guidance is very cool and on my limited usage around town, it is very accurate.

suction cup mount actually works very well on top of speedo. i have had it out and rode around over various smooth and rougher roads, train tracks, etc and did not have a problem with it feeling like it would fall off. i tried to pull the suction mount off and it seemed that i would tear off the speedo? seems to be secure to me. i will probably design some sort of safety system to MAKE SURE it isn't going anywhere.

visibility in direct sun is fine for me. it has an a day, nite, or auto adjustment and it seems to do the trick and like i said, i can see it fine under normal midday sun.

3hr battery life is an issue, so i will get a poweroutlet/cigarette lighter and hardwire that into the bike.

not that it is necessary, but a slower speeds, i can actually HEAR it too! with speaker set to 100% the speaker bounces off the windshield. not a big deal, but can be heard over stage 2 stock muff mod. probably until i put the rineharts on....

hope this helps anyone considering a gps.