IGNORED

How do you handle a flat tire while travelling?

Hello, Just curious how riders handle (or would handle ) a flat tire.

I dont like plugging my car tires, but in the event of a flat tire on my bike, i was planning on plugging it. How would you handle a flat? Al

I was thinking it would be nice to be able to plug it and somehow tap that air compressor just sitting there under the back seat of my 85 to refill it. Wonder if there is a way to put a 2way valve on the output of it, and have a removeable hose long enough to reach the front wheel, with a tire stem adaptor on it? Then store the plug kit and hose in a saddlebag.

Other than that I'm clueless. I have wondered what to do also. Right now I figure I'm calling a tow service and I'm just stranded if it happens.

Just read your post, Carbon- well DOH! Never even thought of using a 12V portable compressor. I need to sleep now... is there a blush smiley? :-D

I was thinking it would be nice to be able to plug it and somehow tap that air compressor just sitting there under the back seat of my 85 to refill it.

That idea has been tossed around before. The CLASS compressor on the bike provides very little volume of air to the system for adjustments. In order for it to fill a tire to the needed pressure it would have to run for a long, long time and probably damage the CLASS compressor or wiring in the process. Good idea, wrong kind of pump.

I carry a $10.00 12 volt HF pump and a string patch kit for emergencies. It will get me to a shop or home or at least off the side of the road.

Mike

I carry a plug kit & a CO2 infiltrator kit. The CO@ uses cartridges like a pellet gun uses. have about 6 of the cartridges. Never had to use it, so I don't know how many it would take to inflate a tire.

Gary

I have never had a problem while traveling and I have travels many thousands of miles. What I carry is a phone number for my road side service insurance.

On another note the 86 Goldwing I had came with a tire inflater that hooked up to the on board compressor, never used it though.

You just got to dodge the nails in the highway and you will be fine.

BOO

In addition to Ride-On in my tires, I carry a small cheap compressor, and a Stop & Go (the umbrella type plug) repair kit. Of course, I've got a Slime patch kit also, but I've had string patches come out of my rear tire and I'm not likely to use that unless it's that or I'm stranded. Just the compressor will get you out of a lot of circumstances....you can keep on filling the tire and ride until you can get somewhere to get it fixed. My 89 came with a cigarette lighter, but on my 83 I made up an adapter kit that had aligator clips on one end and a lighter socket on the other. I could just take my tank cover off and get to the battery, connect the aligator clips and plug the compressor into the lighter socket.

Frank D.

Tubless tires was one of the absolute haves when I was looking for a new scoot. My Kawai 900 had tubes and for some reason it was a concern for me to get a flat on the highway. I did buy a C02 inflater and have used it a couple times to "top off" tires on a trip. Like in the AM @ the hotel before I set out. I have a plug kit but think I need to have a dedicated one for the bike. I had a kit that you could pull a spark plug and screw in a special adapter to inflate a tire. But it years old and we all know how well the tool kits are now. When I had the trailer yrs ago we carried a 12v compressor for the air mattress and used it for tires too. Way more options now days. :080402gudl_prv:

For you guys that carry a string kit on your scoot. I believe that it comes with a glue if I'm not mistaken. Last week I went to use a brand new never been used kit and the glue was all evaporated,,, you may want to check that.

For you guys that carry a string kit on your scoot. I believe that it comes with a glue if I'm not mistaken. Last week I went to use a brand new never been used kit and the glue was all evaporated,,, you may want to check that.

The strings will work perfectly fine with or without the glue.

The glue does help lubricate the string when you push it in though. It's shelf life is pretty short.

The " Plug And Go " Tool, with the rubber plugs works great !! I never had to use it, but I have installed a couple plugs on old tires just to learn how the thing works.

It works,

Also, carry an electric pump ---

I also, put a bottle of Ride On in each tire when I install them.

I also, carry an extra bottle of Ride On with me at all times !

Of note: few years ago, a guy mentioned that upon removeing a worn out tire, with

" Ride On " installed he found 3 Nails, that had been traveling with him !! Apparently the Ride On does work !!

I have never had a problem while traveling and I have travels many thousands of miles. What I carry is a phone number for my road side service insurance.

BOO

Yep, what BOO said. I have been riding since 1959 and have had ONE (read 1) flat.

I always keep good tires on my bikes. :backinmyday:

:farmer:

Yep, what BOO said. I have been riding since 1959 and have had ONE (read 1) flat.

I always keep good tires on my bikes. :backinmyday:

:farmer:

So do I (good tyres) yet I well remember having an extremely expensive "z" rated tyre fitted to my bike, and getting a puncture on the three mile ride home from the dealership.

They can be repaired, but they lose their speed rating.

On 2 occasions I have used my Slime Kit and compressor. Got me home and to the tire store. However... a 4" lag bolt through the front tire at 75mph proved to be too much for the plug kit! :doh:

Something to think about. When you plug a hole in a tire the bands have been cut by whatever caused the hole. the inside of the band will fail at some point. It is like having a tear in a sheet or cloth. Sooner or later that split is going to fail and you will have a catastrophe failure. I know some people have run bikes for years with plugs. They are riding on borrowed time. The proper fix is use a plug and then cement/ round patch the insde of the tire or replace the tire. With only two tires on a bike I replace the bad one. My life is worth more than a couple hundred bucks.

I have used the string plugs on both front and rear tires, different bikes over the years. I've never had a failure, and I ride the tires till the cord can be seen under the rubber. I switched to a car tire on the rear of this bike, and since then I have not had to use the kit. Something to be said for my ability to avoid nails with it.

I have used the string plugs on both front and rear tires, different bikes over the years. I've never had a failure, and I ride the tires till the cord can be seen under the rubber. I switched to a car tire on the rear of this bike, and since then I have not had to use the kit. Something to be said for my ability to avoid nails with it.

Then you have ridden with the hand of God protecting you.

My post was not about you may have a plug break into a failure. It was about that plug will eventually break into a failure. It is inevitable.

I have a plug and compressor kit from Aerostitch for emergencies, but always felt like having roadside assistance from both AMA and Progressive would take care of most of my issues. Last summer, though, I was riding my brand new to me bike from Richmond to Atlanta. Around mile marker 12 in VA the front started going flat. Pulled to the side, grabbed my kit for it's first use and started airing up the tire. The little compressor wasn't fast but it was doing a decent job. Checked the tire, up to about 30 psi, reconnected the compressor and waited some more. There was a considerable bang and the bike went over. Now I have a hefty sized flap hanging loose on the front tire and I don't think the plugs are gonna do me much good.

So I call AMA. First problem, the mileage limits are ridiculously low. Second problem, I am on the side of the interstate, have a GPS but no paper maps and the operator wants me to tell them where I want to go to. Closest shop with a tire wasn't enough info for them. So I call Progressive. Even though my freshly totalled bike and the bike I just traded had a policy with them they wouldn't cover the bike I was on for roadside.

So if you are relying on the roadside assistance thing, check with them first to see how they are actually going to assist you.

Something to think about. When you plug a hole in a tire the bands have been cut by whatever caused the hole. the inside of the band will fail at some point. It is like having a tear in a sheet or cloth. Sooner or later that split is going to fail and you will have a catastrophe failure. I know some people have run bikes for years with plugs. They are riding on borrowed time. The proper fix is use a plug and then cement/ round patch the insde of the tire or replace the tire. With only two tires on a bike I replace the bad one. My life is worth more than a couple hundred bucks.

I agree 100% . I carry a small pump in my bag and I will use the cigarette type electrical plug I installed on my bike to get power. I also have a center stand installed to be able to get the weight off the tires in the event of a flat and make it easier for me to plug the tire with the plug kit I carry. I carry a, 9" I think it is, piece of 2x4 to get the front off the ground. You just place the 2x4 under the front and prop the front up.

I would recommend a center stand if you do not have one. Someone should start making those again for the 2nd geners if not already doing it (Larry - Carbon One) hint,hint ....... Freebird used to make them. I got my center stand and hardware bracket from Ponch, bless his heart, he is not able any more from what I gather.

In the event of a flat, I as you, would replace ASAP. No use running on borrowed time I say. I feel as if two tires is risky enough any how, and also all the knuckle head cagers out there pulling out in front of me.

Fuzzy :2cents:

Edited by FuzzyRSTD

Hello: Rode with a small group of VR members to Cody last summer. One of the members encountered a rear flat in Casper Wyo. We reinflated the tire enough to make it to a safe off the road site. Others rode to get a slime brand plug kit (Look closely, kit did not have cement in it). Installed plug and rode the last 200 miles to Cody. Member had tire replaced the next morning. I now carry a Slime compressor and plug kit (With Cement) with me at all times. AAA insurance if all else fails. :)

I had success with the " Plug and Go" kit. I've repaired several flats this way. I always leave the plug in until the tire is worned down.

One word of advise if you decide to use that kit, carry a little can of WD40 and spray the mushroom plug before inserting it in the gun. It makes it a lot easier to insert into the hole.

I've never actually had a flat in over 50,000 biking miles, but I have found a big screw in a tire twice. It does pay to inspect those tires before you ride!

Thanks for the great advice and ideas, everyone. I feel naked now until I get some "flat insurance" to carry on the bike.

I get far less punctures now than I did years ago - I haven't had one go flat (apart from slow leaks around the rim or valve through sitting) for years, whereas at one stage I was carrying the tools to fix a flat and did one every couple of months.

To damage the carcase of the tyre, it needs to be a BIG hole - or cut 10mm/1/2" long. You wouldn't easily be able to plug one that size and any repair would only be able to get you home. If it's just a nail punching straight through then there's no need to worry about the integrity of the cords.

If anything has damaged the cords, then the type of plug/string/sealant/tube you have used makes no difference whatsoever, there is no way to repair a damaged carcase.

Bear in mind that tyres can also be damaged by running them flat - either at low pressure for a long time or a short time flat. Years ago the concern was about the insides becoming rough and wearing holes in inner tubes, but with tubeless tyres the concern is whether the carcase is damaged and if the tread might delaminate or otherwise just not run true.